Preview Round 8, 2021: Hawthorn v West Coast, Sunday 9th May @ 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, the match finishes before 4pm and even allowing for post-match warmdowns or whatever, they could easily be on a plane before nightfall Melb time and home in time to be tucked in by bedtime Perth time.

No chance!! Will be home much earlier coz they'll only need to play a qtr lol.

Clear as day our midfield setup on Saturday was unbalanced. Play Finn or Shiels but not both. Shiels was utilised in a role he just isnt good enough to be consistent at anymore week to week. Watching from level 3 he was struggling getting to contests and was caught flat footed alot. Kicked a nice goal but was pretty much anoymous throughout and exposed unfortunately. Finn's upside outweighs having Liam in the team ATM. Has more pace and is fitter. We need to go with the mix of JOM, Mitchell, Wingard, Worpel, Cousins and Finn in that order as basically our core group and see if we can gain some traction with it. Rotate guys like Moore and Phillips in there as well. Our issue isnt the quality its the depth and versatility.

I think the AFL needs a bit of an overhaul with their injury reporting. I like the NFL's model from what I know about it. It's a three time a week (based on practice) injury report. Players have to be on the injury report if they are indeed injured and fines and loss of draft picks occur if injuries aren't actually put on the injury report. The times of the clubs not being transparent with their fans (whether it's team announcements or injuries) needs to end.

Clear as day our midfield setup on Saturday was unbalanced. Play Finn or Shiels but not both. Shiels was utilised in a role he just isnt good enough to be consistent at anymore week to week. Watching from level 3 he was struggling getting to contests and was caught flat footed alot. Kicked a nice goal but was pretty much anoymous throughout and exposed unfortunately. Finn's upside outweighs having Liam in the team ATM. Has more pace and is fitter. We need to go with the mix of JOM, Mitchell, Wingard, Worpel, Cousins and Finn in that order as basically our core group and see if we can gain some traction with it. Rotate guys like Moore and Phillips in there as well. Our issue isnt the quality its the depth and versatility.

His best footy is behind him but he's still one of our best tacklers. We get run over because very few of our players seem to be able to stick a tackle and cause a stoppage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did not blame Finn for the poor start at all

I'm actually on the fence on this one. Clarko mentioned early in his interview that there was a balancing threshold with youth and losing Burgoyne/Wingard/O'Meara in one hit tipped us over that threshold. So immediately he puts the blame on inexperience.

He then said we tried different things that made us sitting ducks for the St. Kilda midfield. The example he uses is they took a punt playing Hill at HB and we took a punt playing Maginness on Steele and ‘neither worked for us’. His exact words after that were ‘it just so happened that early in the game we lost both of them (the punts) and when it’s a 5-4 to 0-0 score-line at QT it can upset your day.’

It really does come off as Clarko singling out the Maginness to Steele move as one of the big reasons we were at such a big QT deficit. Perhaps not intentional because he doesn't usually do things like that.

I'm actually on the fence on this one. Clarko mentioned early in his interview that there was a balancing threshold with youth and losing Burgoyne/Wingard/O'Meara in one hit tipped us over that threshold. So immediately he puts the blame on inexperience.

He then said we tried different things that made us sitting ducks for the St. Kilda midfield. The example he uses is they took a punt playing Hill at HB and we took a punt playing Maginness on Steele and ‘neither worked for us’. His exact words after that were ‘it just so happened that early in the game we lost both of them (the punts) and when it’s a 5-4 to 0-0 score-line at QT it can upset your day.’

It really does come off as Clarko singling out the Maginness to Steele move as one of the big reasons we were at such a big QT deficit. Perhaps not intentional because he doesn't usually do things like that.

definitely not intentional if it is construed that way

clarko never, EVER throws players under the bus publically, to the point that many in this forum actually got annoyed at his pressers and wish he'd more blunt/angry at the team (especially last year)

Well he sorta did. We took a punt on Finn playing on Steele and they took a punt on playing Hill off halfback and both of those came off for St Kilda.
How have you possibly drawn this conclusion? One tactical miss and suddenly he's blaming Finn for the loss? Nonsense, he just simply didn't say that.

BTW - Jack Steele didn't get any coaches votes, he got fewer than his average possessions, clearances and tackles.

How have you possibly drawn this conclusion? One tactical miss and suddenly he's blaming Finn for the loss? Nonsense, he just simply didn't say that.

BTW - Jack Steele didn't get any coaches votes, he got fewer than his average possessions, clearances and tackles.
I did say sorta. I went and listened to the press conference after the initial commentary here (thinking "no way") and it didn't sound very good. Clarko played as well as the team did last Saturday in this press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back