Preview Round 8 - Geelong v Collingwood, Sunday 3:20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very simple. Pushing Kolo back into a defensive midfield or wing role is a reasonable option. He showed last year he can play there and play there well and if Taylor and Henderson come back we'll probably be a bit overloaded for tall defenders. His performance on the wing last year was clearly better than any previous performances he'd had for the club. His high votes per game in the B&F, where every game counted, are clear evidence of that and, as was noted by a poster at the time, his votes went up once he moved to the wing. The idea that he really struggled there or that the MC would be making a terrible mistake putting him back there if we get back other key defenders is pretty laughable. It's not the move I would choose but it's definitely a viable option.

If he plays mid then someone has to be squeezed out to accommodate him. With that in mind, which of the midfielders in our current mix would you prefer him over?

You're embarrassing yourself mate.

Get back to me when you've learnt how our B&F system works, then explain how you know Kolodjashnij got votes while playing on wing.

Until then ... caio.

As an impartial observer of your little "discussion" it is my opinion that you are the one who is embarrassing themselves...

If Menzel is fit then maybe he replaces Hawkins giving us a forward line consisting of Menzel, Crameri & Sav.

Otherwise maybe Smith comes in as #1 ruck with Stanley spending more time forward or maybe Buzza

Any news on Menzel? (rhetorical)

While I'd love Menzel to play + we need him to play, it's probably best to be cautious with him.

Overall it was a pretty low quality game from Collingwood, reminding me a little of how Essendon played under our current assistant coach Matthew Knights. I expect Buckley to be quite pissed off with their execution and I suspect that their aggression could be somewhat tempered next week.

I imagine Bucks will peel the paint from the walls because of defensive pressure team wide. It was completely a different game style from the Collingwood of the last 4 rounds.

Collingwood like to (this year) play swarm and spread footy, pressure at the contest (be it stoppage, centre bounce or boundary) be clean with hands in the phone box while forcing the ball forward and outnumber on the outside to create a transition link up, then hit a lead up player instead of bombing long (like the last who knows how long). This style may be familiar to the dogs of 2016 and more recently the tiges of this year. You'd be forgiven for thinking it's a hybrid of the two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see Geelong's 'Late Changes' being talked about on Footy Classified last night, with Lloyd saying that "other clubs" believe the Cats might be playing games and the selection of (opposition) sides might be influenced because of it.

About "5 clubs" have been talking about it, according to Caro/Lloyd.

Yes, I agree. The excuses are interesting and there's no reason at all for CS to be honest about it.

Back spasms are the perfect excuse and used a few times. It's something that may be there for a moment, but then is gone forever.

Who's to say that if they knew it was going to be Stanley in the ruck, that they wouldn't have brought Dawson Simpson in and then kept Patton at home? They assumed that Patton could run off on Smith and exploit him defensively - which is what Gawn did in Rnd 1.

Likewise, dropping Hawkins and bringing another mid signalled that they were looking to win around the contest, rather than rebound gameplay. And I heard that GHS was flown in after the main team had arrived in Port.

Then the concussion swaps... very minor and quite a useful excuse to either take players out or bring them in. "Oh the concussion passed quickly..." "Actually it was worse than we thought"... once again, immeasurable and other teams have to take the Cats on their word.

Very interesting stuff tbh. Now, clubs are second guessing even if the Cats are not going to swap out players. And we no longer seem to use the extended bench. Rather, we just swap players in from the emergency list.

In: Ablett, Smith, Menzel
Out: Zuthrie, Hawkins, Crameri
longtimecat mail is correct then I doubt Menzel plays.
Have this eerie feeling they'll rush Taylor in. Probably shouldn't but something tells me they will.

IMO has average as the Pies key position players are Stanley, Crameri and Sav doesn't inspire too much confidence for a winning score.
Maybe Gaz off the HFF to snag 1-2 and take a quality opponent?

Yeah 20 cheap possessions
No he was average just amassed possies
You're either...
A - taking the piss
B - just talking about the first half or
C - have no idea what you are talking about

FYI, Gaz had 40 touches that night.

I imagine Bucks will peel the paint from the walls because of defensive pressure team wide. It was completely a different game style from the Collingwood of the last 4 rounds.

Collingwood like to (this year) play swarm and spread footy, pressure at the contest (be it stoppage, centre bounce or boundary) be clean with hands in the phone box while forcing the ball forward and outnumber on the outside to create a transition link up, then hit a lead up player instead of bombing long (like the last who knows how long). This style may be familiar to the dogs of 2016 and more recently the tiges of this year. You'd be forgiven for thinking it's a hybrid of the two.
Requires whole of team buy in. And Steele Sidebottom is the key to their team this year. If Selwood shuts him out to of the game, I'd be curious to see what happens. Meanwhile our team is quite happy to have shoot outs and run and gun, because we are delivering it beautifully to our forwards in ideal scoring spots.

Our defensive players are on the small side, and are scrappy players that swarm and read the play pretty well. They are pretty much happy to take the game on in scrappy play and don't take a backward step.

The pressure that our mids and forwards apply means that we are happy for the repeated inside 50s - knowing that they will be contested hotly by our back six or that any shots that are taken will be taken from hard to score positions.

Was at the club this morning, Dan Menzel appeared to still be limping quite noticeably, so I would expect S Crameri to get another game this week.

:(:'(:(:'(:(:'(

Wrap Menzel in cotton wool, play him for a couple of games + back into the cotton wool *rinse + repeat*

:(:'(:(:'(:(:'(

Wrap Menzel in cotton wool, play him for a couple of games + back into the cotton wool *rinse + repeat*
Touch wood its not that bad but at least we got Crameri that can be his replacement. Definitely not saying Crameri is better the Menzal but at least its a close replacement.

Requires whole of team buy in. And Steele Sidebottom is the key to their team this year. If Selwood shuts him out to of the game, I'd be curious to see what happens. Meanwhile our team is quite happy to have shoot outs and run and gun, because we are delivering it beautifully to our forwards in ideal scoring spots.

Our defensive players are on the small side, and are scrappy players that swarm and read the play pretty well. They are pretty much happy to take the game on in scrappy play and don't take a backward step.

The pressure that our mids and forwards apply means that we are happy for the repeated inside 50s - knowing that they will be contested hotly by our back six or that any shots that are taken will be taken from hard to score positions.

Good post!

The whole team has bought in so far apart from a bundle drop on Sunday, that was our worst defensive game collectively. I'm not so sure you'll send selwood to sides, probably you'll see a selwood v adams fight in the phone box. All depends which mid set is cleaner with hands moving the ball to the link up outside, if it's a wet ball day you'd give us a chance to go similar numbers in the clearance battle and may win it. If it's dry and pristine we can't play like Sunday - we'd need to get back to they way we've played most of this year.

Agree Ratcat - with a number of the young guys playing so well I think Cunico has flown under the radar somewhat.
He finds it pretty easily and has pace , strength and a booming kick - lot to like about him IMHO
Was very good in the 3rd Q V Giants , shows lots of potential.

So true F2G

Prior to Rd4 Saints game, Cunico had only played one AFL game, so only five games so far.

Since Rd4, Cunico has averaged 18 Disposals + kicked two Goals, offers plenty with his outside run + uses his speed to gain metres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back