Game Day Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZA1Ecgj.png

Preview
Collingwood v St.Kilda

649385_thumb.jpg

After two straight losses to Adelaide and GWS, the Saints put up a solid fight against last years premiers in the West Coast Eagles but couldn't come away with the win, losing their third successive game - this time by 18 points.

Collingwood were spooked by a rampaging Carlton who lead by 11 points 20 minutes into the final term, but the Blues capitulated in the dying stages of the game with the Magpies piling on five unanswered goals to run away with a 19 point victory.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Daniel McKenzie, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Ben Paton
C: Ben Long, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Matthew Parker
F: Blake Acres, Tim Membrey, Jade Gresham
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair
I/C: Luke Dunstan, Dean Kent, Jimmy Webster, Ed Phillips

Collingwood Best 22
B:
Brayden Maynard, Jordan Roughead, Jeremy Howe
HB: Jack Crisp, Darcy Moore, Chris Mayne
C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips
HF: Josh Thomas, Ben Reid, Jamie Elliott
F: Jaidyn Stephenson, Brody Mihocek, Jordan De Goey
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Levi Greenwood, Adam Treloar
I/C: Tom Langdon, Callum L. Brown, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Rupert Wills

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2008%20-%20St%20Kilda%20v%20West%20Coast/673130_gl.jpg[/IMG]

The Saints finally got through unscathed. Jade Gresham copped a nasty blow to his hip midway through the third quarter, but soldiered on and played out the game.

As for Collingwood, Chris Mayne was accidentally kicked in the head by a team-mate in the third quarter and was motionless on the ground before receiving medical attention. He walked off the field and didn't return due to concussion concerns. Josh Thomas limped from the field with an ankle issue in the final term.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Luke+Dunstan+AFL+Rd+9+St+Kilda+v+Collingwood+Mf9c1purZYul.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda couldn't get back onto the winners list on Saturday night, after matching it with the reigning premiers for much of the game, a 10 minute period late in the third quarter blew the game open, with the Eagles holding off the Saints in the final term to run away with an 18 point victory. It is the Saints third successive loss, and squares their season ledger at 4-4 heading into Saturday afternoon's contest at the MCG.

In a disappointing night for the Saints, key forward Josh Bruce was back to some good form, hauling in 10 marks (7 contested) to go with his 15 disposals and a goal to be voted as the Saints best on the night.

Other notable performances included Seb Ross (31 disposals, 5 marks), Luke Dunstan (26 disposals, 4 marks & 5 tackles) and key defender Josh Battle (21 disposals, 9 marks & 4 tackles).

Collingwood have been in great form all year, continuing on from their 2nd place finish the year before. With only two losses for the season (Geelong & West Coast), the Magpies were full of confidence heading into their Saturday afternoon match-up with fierce rivals Carlton, and were looking to solidify their place within the top four.

It was a closely contested game throughout, the Blues leading by 11 points late in the second quarter before Collingwood kicked two quick goals to level scores at halftime. And again, late in the fourth quarter Carlton got out to another 11 point lead before being reeled back in by the class of the Magpies who kicked five unanswered goals late to run away with their sixth win of the season.

Collingwood's midfield is arguably the best in the league right now and surely will be credited for the reason they won the game. Steele Sidebottom (34 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles), Adam Treloar (34 possessions, 3 marks, 4 tackles and a goal) and skipper Scott Pendlebury (26 disposals, 5 tackles) led the way for last years Grand Finalists, however premiere ruckman Brodie Grundy had another incredible performance, voted Collingwood's best on the day to finish with 48 hit-outs to go along with 25 disposals, 8 marks and 2 goals.

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2007%20-%20GWS%20v%20St%20Kilda/670111_gl.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda's Jonathon Marsh could make his return to face his former side after his 26 disposal, 13 mark performance against Collingwood in the VFL on Sunday.

Other notable inclusions could be Brandon White (24 disposals, 11 marks) and Nick Hind (19 possessions).

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2008%20-%20Carlton%20v%20Collingwood/672323_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Brodie Grundy
If Grundy's credentials weren't already impressive to begin with, on Sunday the Collingwood ruckman became the second man in VFL/AFL history to have 25+ disposals, 45+ hit-outs and 2+ goals in a game. John Nicholls is the other. Grundy has shown what a huge part he plays in Collingwood's team, and the jobs don't get easier for up and coming St.Kilda ruck Rowan Marshall. If Marshall can make Grundy accountable in general play it'll go a huge way to winning the game.

Jordan De Goey
Last time the Saints played the Magpies (Round 9, 2018) Jordan De Goey was the difference - booting six goals from 13 disposals and 6 marks to be adjudged best on ground. With an inexperienced back six, limiting De Goey's influence in front of the sticks will be pivotal to the outcome.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2008%20-%20Carlton%20v%20Collingwood/672546_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Collingwood are in great form and the Saints simply just have to get through this tough three week stretch of games unscathed. I will say that the Saints do play the MCG quite well, however I think Collingwood's quality in the midfield and their dangerousness up forward will be too much. Luckily for the Saints, they have a much easier second half of the season with plenty of winnable games, so whilst it'd be nice to win, we have to pick our battles and I just think this one may be too far out of reach.

Magpies by 28 points.

Thoughts?

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The last time i saw us play Collingwood live at the Mcg was Queens Bday 1992. A repeat of the result that day would be fantastic. Enjoy the day fellas, i have a good feeling about this one. Saints by 1.

I was there for that game. Went with a Pies supporter. We both got so wrapped up in the match that we confused teams at one point (we were also mashed...but still no excuse, I've never made THAT level of a mistake before or since) bloody good day to be a Sainter.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
If the rumours are true and De Goey and Kiera Knightly are gonna be late outs it opens the door a bit for us.

I still think it's gonna be an uphill battle against ther midfield but we at least have a show.

Pies by 23 sadly

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
If the rumours are true and De Goey and Kiera Knightly are gonna be late outs it opens the door a bit for us.

I still think it's gonna be an uphill battle against ther midfield but we at least have a show.

Pies by 23 sadly

Whoa! 23pts. is what I have predicted the Saints to win by every game so far this season.
Get off my wagon & pick your own number.:D
Oh! BTW Saints by 23pts. :stkilda:

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
With the outs for the Pies, if the midfield can somehow find a way to break even or have a narrow loss, I think we can win. Big day for our young mids today. Sinclair, Ross, Steele, Dunstan, Billings, Gresh... time to step up.

I can't watch the game so will have to do the subtle phone checks. I have good feeling about this game, we haven't been that bad and Carlton will have just planted a little seed of doubt in the Pies. The umpires gifted WC last weeks game and we would be going in a lot more confident if that was the case. Umpires gifted Collingwood 24 to 8 free kicks in their game against the bottom side and they needed it to scrape past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nitewalker13

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Pies by 23 sadly

So who is going to replace Keira Knightly?

Scarlett Johansson with some teeth missing? Or with golden tooth?

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I can't watch the game so will have to do the subtle phone checks. I have good feeling about this game, we haven't been that bad and Carlton will have just planted a little seed of doubt in the Pies. The umpires gifted WC last weeks game and we would be going in a lot more confident if that was the case. Umpires gifted Collingwood 24 to 8 free kicks in their game against the bottom side and they needed it to scrape past.
You working?

luca77

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
Japan
AFL Club
St Kilda
The way this is worded, it sounds like they're essentially resting Moore. Which could be a mistake.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-17/two-star-pies-unlikely-to-face-saints

As for their emergencies:

One is a squib, one is washed up, the other two sound like bit-players in a Harry Potter film.

Stocks rising!
I don't think I'm all that pessimistic, and it's game day so the feeling that we're a sneaky chance is creeping in.
But Wells is the kind of player who'd come in against anyone else and do nothing, but could come in against us and play one last damaging cameo.

Circus

Wise Veteran
Apr 19, 2012
Smithton
AFL Club
St Kilda
I ask the representatives of a Godless Universe, whatever they may, or not, be for two wins today. The Saints for even the slimmest of victories and for a change of government by a decisive margin! Effigies will be burnt, wild herbes sacrificed and uncoordinated, unrestrained dancing will celebrate such outcomes!!

Pies by 23 sadly

Nice.

I thought he looked more like Piper from Orange is the New Black.

1558137423023.png

1558137684646.png

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I want to see our forward line function properly for the first time this season- someone really needs to have big game in the forward half.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I ask the representatives of a Godless Universe, whatever they may, or not, be for two wins today. The Saints for even the slimmest of victories and for a change of government by a decisive margin! Effigies will be burnt, wild herbes sacrificed and uncoordinated, unrestrained dancing will celebrate such outcomes!!
I will take one decisive win today - after the nonsense we'he had to put up with for the last 6 years, it staggers me that people can completely forget all of that and be swayed by a few baubles and a bag of empty promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back