Preview Round 9, 2021: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Friday 14th May, 7:50PM AEST *WEBSTER 100TH* *WILKIE 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Cats

Votes: 43 66.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great way to manage a talented young player. Performs very well so we drop him because we don't trust him for a big game. Dumbfounding suggestion.

I don't want Byrnes dropped, he's been good so far this year and he is literally the player I wanted in the draft but it's someone's opinion that it's safer to play an experienced player over a 3 gamer against a team that is old and well drilled. They literally couldn't be more experienced and drilled without being retired. It's not that unreasonable to suggest that we'd be safer with a mature head in instead. It's not what I would do but it's a valid opinion. People can get very triggered by anything they don't agree with lately.

Hickey is playing as well if not better than he ever did with us but it’s a small sample size compared to his overall body of work, think I might hold off on putting him in the top few rucks in the league.

He's been excellent and is a much better player than he was with us and WC. Rucks just seem to hit peak form at around 27 to 30. Hickey is a big part of why Sydney are looking a much better side. Like when we got Marshall and Ryder back he makes everything they do look better. I don't think even they thought he was going to be anything but a depth ruckman.

Collingwood should play Moore at CHF 👍

I don't hate the idea of using Moore forward, he was drafted as one and after 2 games or what ever it was it's been written off. They are so s**t at delivering the ball forward this year that no-one can get a run on. They move him out of defence and get smashed at the other end as well. They really just need 2 of him. It's much easier to find defenders than key forwards.

I don't want Byrnes dropped, he's been good so far this year and he is literally the player I wanted in the draft but it's someone's opinion that it's safer to play an experienced player over a 3 gamer against a team that is old and well drilled. They literally couldn't be more experienced and drilled without being retired. It's not that unreasonable to suggest that we'd be safer with a mature head in instead. It's not what I would do but it's a valid opinion. People can get very triggered by anything they don't agree with lately.
Yeah.

Byrnes out? I swear it's like half the people on here don't watch football.

What a great way to manage a talented young player. Performs very well so we drop him because we don't trust him for a big game. Dumbfounding suggestion.
Ahh the easy option. Complain about something but don't provide an alternative.

I would have thought it would be obvious to any person who watched football that the changes were Byrnes for Ross - so that's a 3 game midfielder going @ 13 possessions being replaced by a 147 game midfielder going @ 24 possessions a game. Wooo bad move Pebbles!!!

As for DMac replacing Wood - anybody who watched football should get that one in an instant. Love to here your reasons why that shouldn't happen.

So lets hear your changes and more importantly how those changes will affect team balance (ie who misses out in midfield minutes to squeeze Byrnes in) so we can talk about your football "knowledge"?

I would have thought it would be obvious to any person who watched football that the changes were Byrnes for Ross - so that's a 3 game midfielder going @ 13 possessions being replaced by a 147 game midfielder going @ 24 possessions a game. Wooo bad move Pebbles!!!

As for DMac replacing Wood - anybody who watched football should get that one in an instant. Love to here your reasons why that shouldn't happen.

So lets hear your changes and more importantly how those changes will affect team balance (ie who misses out in midfield minutes to squeeze Byrnes in) so we can talk about your football "knowledge"?
Well said pebbles. But I’m still not letting you off the hook for initially suggesting dmac replaces Wood and not even bringing Ross back in. ;)

I would have thought it would be obvious to any person who watched football that the changes were Byrnes for Ross - so that's a 2 game midfielder going @ 13 possessions being replaced by a 147 game midfielder going @ 24 possessions a game. Wooo bad move Pebbles!!!

First off, we don't even know if D Mac is available this week after injuring his calf.

Secondly, Ross would be coming in for Wood since Wood was the person who directly replaced him. Thats the obvious change rather than someone else going out for Ross then needing to find a replacement for the late in who under performed. Then the question asked would be if any other changes need made or did everyone in our intended best 22 from last week fulfil their role.

Based off Byrnes performance the past 2 games, I don't think he is an obvious out nor is there anyone outside the best 22 who is demanding to take over his role.

Maybe but he’d be leading and if you burnt him you’d cop a mouthful from the big bloke very quickly.

Plugger was very vocal organising the forward set up as was riewoldt, I don’t see much talk these days across our team in general.

I'll never forget watching a game live and seeing Riewoldt screaming at Farren Ray (I think) to move about 5 meters across to his left at a stopage. The ball then came out of the stoppage and landed right in Ray's lap where Riewoldt had moved him to 😂

Don't know if it was pure **** but it was hilarious to see.

First off, we don't even know if D Mac is available this week after injuring his calf.

Secondly, Ross would be coming in for Wood since Wood was the person who directly replaced him. Thats the obvious change rather than someone else going out for Ross then needing to find a replacement for the late in who under performed. Then the question asked would be if any other changes need made or did everyone in our intended best 22 from last week fulfil their role.

Based off Byrnes performance the past 2 games, I don't think he is an obvious out nor is there anyone outside the best 22 who is demanding to take over his role.
No mention of D-Mac in the injury report on the AFL website this morning.

Well yes and no.

The question that should be asked is why was a mid replaced with a 192 cm bit part forward? Most were baffled by that decision right from the start and most of us were proved right.

We already had Battle to play the taller swingman role and given Dunstans form in the two's, Woods inclusion was just bizarre.

Dunstan is clearly on the outer but with Ross back, for balance purposes, we'd be better off with a smaller swingman type (DMac) not a low possession mid who has limited experience playing in other positions and would take midfield minutes off our most important players.

PS - No mention of McKenzie on the injury list

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He couldn’t get a touch for the whole game, he gets shifted to the back line and starts taking marks and making a difference. It worked.
Could put him back there against Geelong to get him into the game, he’s struggling as a forward and is good enough to go back.
Lol mate Tim Membrey is not playing in a back pocket

Hickey is playing as well if not better than he ever did with us but it’s a small sample size compared to his overall body of work, think I might hold off on putting him in the top few rucks in the league.

Happily have him in the top four which don't include either of ours and i love Marshall to death (after Steele)

Gawn
Nicnat
Hickey
Darcy
Grundy

Then probably ours come in next.

Is it just me or has Wood gone even further backwards this year? I swear He wasn’t this bad at the Roos.

So I get that when someone says 'play Membrey back' it's fun to mock that with pithy comments, but I think the underlying proposition is this:

Their coach is better than our coach.
Their system is better than our system.
Their list talent is better than our list talent. They are better than us on basically every line bar ruck stocks.

If everyone plays absolutely out of their skin then we probably win or get very close; but you can't rely on that. From a tactical perspective, how do we win?

I said it in the autopsy thread but we need to play battle on Stewart and just run him away from max King. The other issue is I think Joyce and Wilkie need to at all time alsmost double team Cameron

Well yes and no.

The question that should be asked is why was a mid replaced with a 192 cm bit part forward? Most were baffled by that decision right from the start and most of us were proved right.

We already had Battle to play the taller swingman role and given Dunstans form in the two's, Woods inclusion was just bizarre.

Dunstan is clearly on the outer but with Ross back, for balance purposes, we'd be better off with a smaller swingman type (DMac) not a low possession player mid who has limited experience playing in other positions and would take midfield minutes off our most important players.

PS - No mention of McKenzie on the injury list
It's not really that bizarre if you look at the positions both Ross and Wood have been playing at their respective levels. Ross played on the wing with some time at half forward against Hawthorn. Wood played on the wing/forward at Sandy plus we had Battle spend more time on the wing against GC so Wood then played Battle's forward role.

How is an inside mid only on Dustan a better replacement for someone who was only playing on the outside the week prior? Dunstan position in the side has nothing to do with Ross, and more to do with Bytel moving ahead of him in the pecking order.

Byrnes also isnt taking midfield minutes off anyone, let alone Ross who wasnt starting on the inside in his last game. Byrnes has been playing primarily at half forward with a small amount of wing time in his two matches this year and been getting suitable numbers for a player in that position. His numbers are no worse than what McKenzie had been getting in his 5 matches this year playing the entire game on the wing. Billings has moved back to the wing and completely eclipsing anything McKenzie has produced, with Byrnes moving more into that forward role Billings was occupying.

Ratts stated last Thursday that McKenzie had a calf injury and wasn't available for selection. Guessing no Journo registered this information and reported it to then add him to their injury list. It would be unusual for someone to recover from a calf in 1 week. He also wasn't mentioned in the clubs 'In the Mix' article where about 10 different players all available for selection are named, suggesting he isnt in frame this week from the clubs perspective.

I said it in the autopsy thread but we need to play battle on Stewart and just run him away from max King. The other issue is I think Joyce and Wilkie need to at all time alsmost double team Cameron
Play THROUGH Battle.

If Stewart sags. Hit Battle.

If he follows, long to King/Marshall.

Have to be brave to be a good team and lower the eyes and hit the tougher kick. Geelong will swarm the half forward kicks for the turnover.

The thing is that Battle is completely capable of kicking 4/5 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back