Round 9: West Coast v Adelaide Face off

Remove this Banner Ad

STOP PLAYING DRY WEATHER FOOTBALL FFFFFFFSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

What the hell are they doing?!?!?

How are we playing dry weather football?

I'd argue the opposite - we aren't using the handball and running through the middle, instead we're just bombing it long to a contest - which is wet weather football.

Maric was awesome in those last 5-10 minutes; just tried his heart out and threw himself into everything, if the others can follow his lead, we can get back in it.

One thing I'm not sure about - what's our defensive structure in the middle? We don't seem to be playing a zone, and we don't seem to be playing man-on-man. The Coasters have so many free men every time they go forward, it's crazy.

The middle is getting absolutely carved up, the backs are under huge amounts of pressure (and have done well to keep us in it - including Bass), and the forwards are just getting the ball bombed in onto their heads.

Would be nice if Tippett or Goodwin actually got a free in the forward 50 though.

Embley is killing us. Heaven help if Hunter was playing.

They are getting into paddocks of space at will, Vince is injured, our skills are shocking, Bassett I have to be honest looks to be in his last year of AFL footy; a select few players are standing up - Thompson, VB, Rutten, Stevens but we need more than 4 people to stand up.

How are we playing dry weather football?

I'd argue the opposite - we aren't using the handball and running through the middle, instead we're just bombing it long to a contest - which is wet weather football.

Maric was awesome in those last 5-10 minutes; just tried his heart out and threw himself into everything, if the others can follow his lead, we can get back in it.

One thing I'm not sure about - what's our defensive structure in the middle? We don't seem to be playing a zone, and we don't seem to be playing man-on-man. The Coasters have so many free men every time they go forward, it's crazy.

The middle is getting absolutely carved up, the backs are under huge amounts of pressure (and have done well to keep us in it - including Bass), and the forwards are just getting the ball bombed in onto their heads.

Would be nice if Tippett or Goodwin actually got a free in the forward 50 though.

No, we're trying to spot up targets around the ground and that's not how you do it. Going to two or three-on-one contests etc etc, it's been disgraceful. No other way to describe it, this is a DISGRACE!

I know we should underestimate the opposition but we are making them look so much better than they are. A side who hasnt won a game since round 1 and we spanked them the week after, and they are giving us a bath. FFS throw your body in when the ball has to be won. Other than Maric none of our forwards have given us anything although Kurt shouldve been paid many a free in the 1st term.

It cant get any worse than that surely.

The carry on in this thread is more pathetic than the way we're playing.

It's like watching lemmings; someone decides Bassett has had it, and all of a sudden a few weak-minded individuals jump on the bandwagon.

He's made a couple of mistakes tonight, but apart from that he's done a pretty decent job.

We're clearly not switched on in the midfield, where we've had very little defensive action and pressure.

Craigy will give them a massive rev-up at half-time, hopefully they'll wake up, and we'll get out act together.

We've been smashed in that first half, but we're still in the game.

No, we're trying to spot up targets around the ground and that's not how you do it. Going to two or three-on-one contests etc etc, it's been disgraceful. No other way to describe it, this is a DISGRACE!

That's wet weather football - bombing it long.

Dry weather football, which we aren't playing, is running and carrying and using the hands.

Bombing in from the centre circle into the forward 50 is not dry weather football.

The game is all but over at half time. OK guys, calm down, forget about it. Lets move on to next week. We're not quite there yet, okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The carry on in this thread is more pathetic than the way we're playing.

It's like watching lemmings; someone decides Bassett has had it, and all of a sudden a few weak-minded individuals jump on the bandwagon.

He's made a couple of mistakes tonight, but apart from that he's done a pretty decent job.

We're clearly not switched on in the midfield, where we've had very little defensive action and pressure.

Craigy will give them a massive rev-up at half-time, hopefully they'll wake up, and we'll get out act together.

We've been smashed in that first half, but we're still in the game.

I dont like singling players out...

Just about the whole team has been flat tonight. Cant blame it entirely on Bass and Edwards.

From an Eagles perspective what I have noticed is lack of effort from the Adelaide players. Why is WC dominating the midfield? Why do they have more players at every contest? The latter I think is where Adelaide is getting smashed. My guess is they thought they'd win it easy. Lost to WC so many times over the past few years when they were at the top, now they are down the bottom and Adelaide at the top they probably thought they could just walk to victory.

In the 1st quarter we were playing dry weather footy in the way we were trying to finesse with pissy little passes in the backline and how many times it came unstuck was terrible..

The wet is not made for skills like that, the passes cant be as good and when they were slightly to the side or over the player, they would slip while trying to reach or turn back for the ball

The 2nd quarter we barely had the ball so its hard to say lol

I dont like singling players out...

Just about the whole team has been flat tonight. Cant blame it entirely on Bass and Edwards.

Bass has been good - apart from one brain fade.

Edwards is at least getting his hands on the ball. If he wins the ball, it's not his job to kick it to himself; someone need to get into a position and give him an option.

The midfield need to lift, simple as that. The young kids are feeling the pressure and have lost their composure.

Put Goodwin, Edwards, McLeod, Thompson and Burton on the ball and on the things until we settle down.

____ me we have some bloody whingers here!! :eek::mad:

it's wet, were playing a shocker, theres still plenty of time to go

bite the bullet, put burton on a wing and let him be as selfish as he likes, maybe it might spark the guys??

we can still win this game of footy

our senior players need to lift and lead the way

our decision making and skills need to improve, most importantly we need to lift the work rate and win some contested ball

we need Propy and Macca to play forward and Goody across HB

5 goals is reachable in the modern game

From an Eagles perspective what I have noticed is lack of effort from the Adelaide players. Why is WC dominating the midfield? Why do they have more players at every contest? The latter I think is where Adelaide is getting smashed. My guess is they thought they'd win it easy. Lost to WC so many times over the past few years when they were at the top, now they are down the bottom and Adelaide at the top they probably thought they could just walk to victory.

Spot on.

We have no defensive pressure through the middle at the moment, simple as that. Everytime the Coasters get the ball, they've got 2-3 players running around unmarked to use, that's why we're getting smashed.

We need to man up, and we simply need to start playing the way we have been all season - run and carry, use the handball.

Vince in his tracksuit top.

Maric seems to be at FF, with Stiffy at his feet.

Carn Boys.

I'm sorry but in the words of chopper McLeod needs to harden the ___ up in the 2nd half. Running past contests, weak flailing arm attempts at tackling. Craigy needs to really get stuck into him with a few home truths.

He is not the only one mind you. We are getting beaten at every contest. One of the biggest problems is that we are getting smashed everytime the ball hits the deck in our forward line. This is allowing an easy transfer out for the Eagles who are carving us up with run and carry thru the centre with Emblyey, Braun and Fletcher as they did circa 2006.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back