Player Watch #8: Jack Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Every other Forward besides Stringer gets a fair rub, but Jack is treated like a ****ing lepper by the umps.

I'm convinced that they pay less to players who cry out/accentuate/ask for them. Jack used to do this all the time as a younger player and I reckon he still gets a rough deal because of it.

Funny though at the other end of the scale/ground, I reckon Rance gets away with a hell of a lot, maybe because of his perceived good history in this regard?

Didn't he get smashed in his back with a knee last week at some stage?

Did move ok I thought yesterday- just did not get get used a few times when free.

Correct. First 5 minutes of Adelaide game. Basically a back cork.

Haere Ra

I'm convinced that they pay less to players who cry out/accentuate/ask for them. Jack used to do this all the time as a younger player and I reckon he still gets a rough deal because of it.

Guys, I hate to do this, but I really dislike whingeing about the umps. Fact is - this year, jack has a better Frees for/Frees against than any other key forward except Hogan and Gunston. Better than Kennedy, better than Cloke, Hawkins, Walker, Pavlich, Cameron. He's also had more frees than anyone - except Franklin who's had one more for, but significantly more against.

EVERY club complains about their key forward getting too much attention. It's part of the story. The fact is, Jack gets no worse treatment than any other KPF. There's no need to bring out the 'Poor Jack' story every time - he's good enough as it is.

Guys, I hate to do this, but I really dislike whingeing about the umps. Fact is - this year, jack has a better Frees for/Frees against than any other key forward except Hogan and Gunston. Better than Kennedy, better than Cloke, Hawkins, Walker, Pavlich, Cameron. He's also had more frees than anyone - except Franklin who's had one more for, but significantly more against.

EVERY club complains about their key forward getting too much attention. It's part of the story. The fact is, Jack gets no worse treatment than any other KPF. There's no need to bring out the 'Poor Jack' story every time - he's good enough as it is.

Fair enough but there's a difference between whinging and stating a fact.

Cloke, Hawkins, Franklin and Pavlich are different types of forwards to Jack and of course get looked at differently. I've noticed Gunston and Cameron in certain games are treated very fairly and are almost the AFL equivalent of the teachers pet.

I don't get your poor jack comment? Aren't I allowed to support a player I follow or i'm supposed to stay silent?

Really wasn't whinging. I was stating that IMO guys like jack, Monfries, Betts, and many others have routinely 'simulated' in order to trick umpires into giving them frees that aren't there or accentuating small ones that might be. Over time they have developed a reputation for it and as a result probably don't receive quite a lot that probably are there. I was not whinging in the least. Just calling it how I see it.

Really wasn't whinging. I was stating that IMO guys like jack, Monfries, Betts, and many others have routinely 'simulated' in order to trick umpires into giving them frees that aren't there or accentuating small ones that might be. Over time they have developed a reputation for it and as a result probably don't receive quite a lot that probably are there. I was not whinging in the least. Just calling it how I see it.

Maybe, but gotta say its very frustrating watching the softest frees paid against Rance and Chaplin and then seeing Jack copping bear hugs at the other end.

Jack gets a lot of his frees up the ground now. He gets very few close to goal lately. Vickery is another player who isn't looked after by the umpires very often. Really I think the key is not complaining and if an opposition player does keep employing a dodgy tactic against you speak to the umpire quietly during a stop in play. You are far more likely to get an umpire on side if you are not continually playing for frees or directing anger towards them.

Jack is a star. He's growing out of the whole 'me-me-me' frustrated attitude that plagued Richo for years. I love to see him with the ball in hand within 70 m of goal because he will either set a team mate up or, if he's within 50m, kick a goal himself.

You too would be sore if you were dragged down in every marking contest, or punched in the head, shoulder etc.

Every other Forward besides Stringer gets a fair rub, but Jack is treated like a ****ing lepper by the umps.
So is Buddy.

Form has dropped over the last month. Needs to lift coming in to finals.
He's missing Griff taking the heat, and he might be a little injured.

Swannie got on a pretty solid Jack poster today.

N3RItr9.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Jack's mercurial nature as a forward and his passion as a Tiger clubman. I so wish he had of received no.12 from Richo when he retired (no offence intended Astbury). I'm expecting big things from Jumpin Jack in 2016.

I love Jack's mercurial nature as a forward and his passion as a Tiger clubman. I so wish he had of received no.12 from Richo when he retired (no offence intended Astbury). I'm expecting big things from Jumpin Jack in 2016.
Jack was already assigned a legendary Tasmanian tiger forward's number. I think he was quite happy to stay in it.... and it suits him;).

Jack was already assigned a legendary Tasmanian tiger forward's number. I think he was quite happy to stay in it.... and it suits him;).
I see where you are coming from. I just so want the legend of no 12 to live on. Hopefully Astbury can do it proud. And then maybe one day a new Tiger hero will wear the number 12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back