Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

I swear you guys havent watched him play. Ive never seen anyone drop as many uncontested marks on the lead up to a wing as Reid, and for once Im not exaggerating.

Mate if he were playing for say Carlton everyone would be saying he was a spud

I swear you guys havent watched him play. Ive never seen anyone drop as many uncontested marks on the lead up to a wing as Reid, and for once Im not exaggerating.

We've watched him play!
We just don't expect a 100% efficiency from ANY of our players, WHEN they are fit enough to take the field in OUR jumper!

Rank the reid excuses in order

1.injuries
2. Young
3. Wrong position
4. Lack of help
5. Too much help
6. Played chf in 2012 flag so must of been good
7. Lead up swingman role hard to measure success
8. Sun in his eyes

People have short memories of White, couldn't catch a cold (unless it was contract time and suddenly he found some ability....).

However this has just become a massive circle jerk now... people used to have to bring Reid up for some to repeat their usual rhetoric, now they just repeat themselves if there is a couple of days of silence...

People have short memories of White, couldn't catch a cold (unless it was contract time and suddenly he found some ability....).

However this has just become a massive circle jerk now... people used to have to bring Reid up for some to repeat their usual rhetoric, now they just repeat themselves if there is a couple of days of silence...
Circle jerk is about right.

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Used to visit Bigfooty a lot. Now I just have a look once in a while. This thread helps me remember why I stopped.
If you posted this then you could have just as easily provided a post which tried to provided some of the class/taste/mature reasoned debate etc which it seems you feel is lacking.

But you didn't.

Be the change you want to see.

Logging in just to complain about poor posts just adds to the poor posts. How about you find a topic of interest and try to add to the discussion in the way you wish to see? Who knows, maybe some of the other disenchanted posters will do the same and reclaim some of the airtime...

Yes, you've said it before and I didn't want to be pedantic but, in case you get the urge to say it again, a rigger is a person who specializes in the lifting and moving of extremely large or heavy objects, often with the assistance of a crane or derrick or chain hoists. The word rigger can also be used to describe a ship, as in a square rigger. Perhaps Grundy could be described as a rigger of AFL (he lifts and moves heavy objects, sometimes with the aid of a Derrickx) but I don't think Ben Reid could handle him outside of the change rooms.

I think the word you're looking for is rigour (or rigor), as in 'the rigours/hardships of AFL'. In that case I still disagree. Reid had a rotten run with injuries through 2016 but was coping reasonably well with the rigours of AFL prior to then. It remains to be seen how he copes this year so why don't we all sit back and watch. I suspect he'll be rusty at first, improving as the season wears on. If the selectors think he's starting 22 then I'll go with them. They seem to know a bit more about footy than either of us.

Auto-correct can make fuels of the best of us.

With respect to the selectors being the final arbiters, kind of takes away the fun (and purpose) of the Forum, don't you think?

(Mind you, some topics go on long after all the points of view have been aired, dissected, argued, analysed again, dismissed, disparaged, trolled, liked, evidenced, un-evidenced, punned, gotten off topic, dragged back again ...
... Did someone mention Sam Reid? Can we change topics now, please.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Sorry forgot excuse

10 its picking on reid or a circle jerk to discuss how averge he is
We get it, I think the majority of posters to this board understand that punts, mtooler and yourself don't rate Reid, you think hes a total spud and wish he wasn't on the Swans list.
To be honest I am actually sick of hearing you guys roll out the same condescending comments over and over again. There is an old saying; if you cant add anything new to the debate, don't add anything at all.
Up until this point I've respected your opinions with a view to having an engaging and adult like debate, but it would be nice if just once you guys respected that other posters have different opinions to yourselves and may wish debate his worth to the team without you guys rolling out the inevitable lol reid, list of excuses apparently given for him or accusations that they haven't watched reid play.
Be rest assured we know exactly what you guys think, we just dont want it rammed down our throats every 3rd post!

Last edited:
We get it, I think the majority of posters to this board understand that punts, mtooler and yourself don't rate Reid, you think hes a total spud and wish he wasn't on the Swans list.
To be honest I am actually sick of hearing you guys roll out the same condescending comments over and over again. There is an old saying; if you cant add anything new to the debate, don't add anything at all.
Up until this point I've respected your opinions with a view to having an engaging and adult like debate, but it would be nice if just once you guys respected that other posters have different opinions to yourselves and may wish debate his worth to the team without you guys rolling out the inevitable lol reid, list of excuses apparently given for him or accusations that they haven't watched reid play.
Be rest assured we know exactly what you guys think, we just dont want it rammed down our throats every 3rd post!

No-one is stopping you from expressing your opinions. In my experience, the best way to improve the level of discussion on the forum is to make an effort to contribute more positively myself (yes, and that means not making the same Tasmanian jokes over and over).

Having said that, it runs both ways. It's really frustrating when someone with a contrary opinion gets shouted down. If you disagree, fine, but if you are going to reply, at least put up a decent argument yourself instead of just replying with a condescending one liner.

No-one is stopping you from expressing your opinions. In my experience, the best way to improve the level of discussion on the forum is to make an effort to contribute more positively myself (yes, and that means not making the same Tasmanian jokes over and over).

Having said that, it runs both ways. It's really frustrating when someone with a contrary opinion gets shouted down. If you disagree, fine, but if you are going to reply, at least put up a decent argument yourself instead of just replying with a condescending one liner.

TL : DR;

Auto-correct can make fuels of the best of us.

With respect to the selectors being the final arbiters, kind of takes away the fun (and purpose) of the Forum, don't you think?

(Mind you, some topics go on long after all the points of view have been aired, dissected, argued, analysed again, dismissed, disparaged, trolled, liked, evidenced, un-evidenced, punned, gotten off topic, dragged back again ...
... Did someone mention Sam Reid? Can we change topics now, please.)

Does Auto-correct work for homonyms ?

As far as club players and officials go, they are professionals. I'd expect a pretty robust argument from anyone rebuffing their views. If the selectors go one way I'd like to see a bloody good argument from Joe Poster as to why he/she thinks they're wrong. "Bullshit, what does Horse know. My mate says...." just doesn't cut it.

Presenting arguments as fact or facts without argument can be dull or just plain patronising. Putting newbies down with a snide quip is hardly likely to build a rich and diverse forum membership.

In the end, this thread is about Sam Reid. So help us lift the level of debate. Feel free to express your thoughts. Make it fun, make it intelligent, make it revealing, make it speculative, make it scandalous or make it up. Just don't make it glib or smug.

Does Auto-correct work for homonyms ?

As far as club players and officials go, they are professionals. I'd expect a pretty robust argument from anyone rebuffing their views. If the selectors go one way I'd like to see a bloody good argument from Joe Poster as to why he/she thinks they're wrong. "Bullshit, what does Horse know. My mate says...." just doesn't cut it.

Presenting arguments as fact or facts without argument can be dull or just plain patronising. Putting newbies down with a snide quip is hardly likely to build a rich and diverse forum membership.

In the end, this thread is about Sam Reid. So help us lift the level of debate. Feel free to express your thoughts. Make it fun, make it intelligent, make it revealing, make it speculative, make it scandalous or make it up. Just don't make it glib or smug.

Someone who spends half their post making snide quips about "rigger" is hardly in a position to lecture about patronising or snide quips.

Ditto an argument that there's no argument because selectors know best fails to make the cut for fun, intelligent, revealing, speculative, scandalous or made up.

We're both newbies and your put down was out of line and the topic of Sam Reid has been done to death.

Someone who spends half their post making snide quips about "rigger" is hardly in a position to lecture about patronising or snide quips.

Ditto an argument that there's no argument because selectors know best fails to make the cut for fun, intelligent, revealing, speculative, scandalous or made up.

We're both newbies and your put down was out of line and the topic of Sam Reid has been done to death.

Easy Kolah. No need to get heated up just 14 posts into the forum.

I'm not sure why you think the topic of Sam Reid has been done to death in a thread entirely devoted to the topic of Sam Reid. If you don't want to talk about Sam just avoid this thread altogether. You could ask a mod to close the thread but it's unlikely they will while others are interested. I suspect there will be much discussion about Sam this year, good or bad, on this thread especially.

I think you might have misconstrued my original post. I'm using the word 'argument' as akin to 'rationale'. I'm not for a minute suggesting having a blue with someone for a difference of opinion and I'm not saying you can't disagree with selectors. If the selectors think Sam is best 22 I'd be more than happy to read arguments as to why someone thinks he isn't, but I think the reasoning put forward for that opinion might need a bit of meat on its bones.

ps. Thanks for the compliment but I'm not a newbie. I'm not quite a crusty old curmudgeon yet (Hi Bedders) but I have 11 years on the board. I usually try to be supportive of newbies as it encourages more voices and more opinions. The board can be harsh, people take the piss, sometimes folks take umbrage (something best avoided). After a while you get to know most people but it can also be easy to assume other posters know your style and won't be offended. In the end it's only a forum. Our common bond being a love for the Swans

Swans close to Grand Final gamble on forward

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-03/sydney-close-to-gambling-on-sam-reid-in-2016-grand-final

SYDNEY Swans coach John Longmire has revealed how close he came to rolling the dice and including Sam Reid for his first game for the season in last year's AFL Grand Final.

The 25-year-old had missed the entire season because of ongoing calf and Achilles problems but the Swans gave serious consideration to taking the selection gamble.

In the end the question marks over the skipper Jarrad McVeigh, first-year player Callum Mills, midfielder Luke Parker, who suffered a PCL injury in the preliminary final, and key forward Lance Franklin, who was carrying a shoulder injury late in the season, meant Reid was left out.

"He wasn't named as an emergency but he was on the plane. He had not played a game for the entire season and he was a strong consideration to play," Longmire told AFL.com.au.

"If the situation was a bit different we might have played him, but the reality was there were a chunk of other [players] with question marks that we had to be mindful of."

It would have been a massive call to play him, he might have kicked a goal or two but there would have been a risk of him breaking down. Horse would have looked like a genius if it worked though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back