Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
On my list of unusual causes of mysterious disappearances, I have spontaneous human combustion after UFO abduction but before Big Cat Breakfast.
Spontaneous combustion, of course. I remember early south park doing an episode on that. Would leave evidence though

Very stupid to talk to the police without speaking to a lawyer first.

They are not your friend and will twist anything you say.
You're assuming the police want to pin the crime on anybody they can, regardless of who is guilty. Not saying that never, ever happens but it's certainly not my experience or that of anybody I know.

You're assuming the police want to pin the crime on anybody they can, regardless of who is guilty. Not saying that never, ever happens but it's certainly not my experience or that of anybody I know.
Whatever led them to this person and the evidence they have against him, they are keeping quiet about for now.

It's not just 'anybody'. But police have a demonstrated tendency for tunnel vision in that once they lock onto a particular suspect they fall for confirmation bias, and automatically start discounting other suspects and possibilities. They want to believe they have got their man.

It's not just 'anybody'. But police have a demonstrated tendency for tunnel vision in that once they lock onto a particular suspect they fall for confirmation bias, and automatically start discounting other suspects and possibilities. They want to believe they have got their man.

Whatever led them to this person and the evidence they have against him, they are keeping quiet about for now.
I'm not referring to this crime specifically, but rather 'the crime' (and Police actions generally) in the context of revo's comment .

It's usually easy to prove the truth, and always impossible to prove a lie.

I'm not referring to this crime specifically, but rather 'the crime' (and Police actions generally) in the context of revo's comment .

It's usually easy to prove the truth, and always impossible to prove a lie.
Refer William Tyrrell case. Bill Spedding and Paul Savage prime examples.

Refer William Tyrrell case. Bill Spedding and Paul Savage prime examples.
Sure, and refer the literally millions of cases where that didn't happen. Are you saying you believe police knew Spedding (the accused child abuser) didn't do it and went after him anyway just to pin the crime on somebody and close the case?

Last edited:
Sure, and refer the literally millions of cases where that didn't happen. Are you saying you believe police knew Spedding didn't do it and went after him anyway just to pin the crime on somebody and close the case?
No need to put words in my mouth. I am saying in that case, as many they concentrated on one suspect ignoring certain facts ( e.g that he had an alibi ), and using other irrelevant and false evidence ( allegations of pedophilia) to make a case against him (confirmation bias), when all the time there was evidence pointing elsewhere (inconsistencies in witness timelines) which they did not follow up on or investigate. Tunnel vision.
The point is that I easily and quickly found a reference case to prove this point. Sure, it doesn't always happen, but if it happens once that we know about then it probably happens in many cases we don't know about. I am sure there are other instances. Cops are human and this is human nature.

No need to put words in my mouth. I am saying in that case, as many they concentrated on one suspect ignoring certain facts ( e.g that he had an alibi ), and using other irrelevant and false evidence ( allegations of pedophilia) to make a case against him (confirmation bias), when all the time there was evidence pointing elsewhere (inconsistencies in witness timelines) which they did not follow up on or investigate. Tunnel vision.
The point is that I easily and quickly found a reference case to prove this point. Sure, it doesn't always happen, but if it happens once that we know about then it probably happens in many cases we don't know about. I am sure there are other instances. Cops are human and this is human nature.
My comment was "You're assuming the police want to pin the crime on anybody they can, regardless of who is guilty.", in response to "They are not your friend and will twist anything you say."

I don't understand the relevance of what you are writing.

My comment was "You're assuming the police want to pin the crime on anybody they can, regardless of who is guilty.", in response to "They are not your friend and will twist anything you say."

I don't understand the relevance of what you are writing.
I don't understand the relevance of what you're writing either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gleaned that jason_recliner was simply trying to make the point that it is less common in Australia for cops to falsely pin crimes on innocent people than other countries.

Happy to wait for clarification if that's correct or not
Yeah I'm not alleging the cops are deliberately pinning anything on anyone innocent. I am just observing that they have a common and natural tendency to concentrate on only one particular suspect or one pet theory and then they become subject to tunnel vision, and confirmation bias, rather than remaining open-minded. (Refer back to Ron Iddles mantra - assume nothing, believe nothing, challenge everything). This leads them to ignore or discount certain evidence or suspects which don't fit their narrative.

Yeah I'm not alleging the cops are deliberately pinning anything on anyone innocent. I am just observing that they have a common and natural tendency to concentrate on only one particular suspect or one pet theory and then they become subject to tunnel vision, and confirmation bias, rather than remaining open-minded. (Refer back to Ron Iddles mantra - assume nothing, believe nothing, challenge everything). This leads them to ignore or discount certain evidence or suspects which don't fit their narrative.
I'm not sure anyone is doubting that confirmation bias is a thing and that cops, like the rest of us, are susceptible.

Iddles was obviously very good at his job and likely due to his ability to engage in critical thinking and therefore prevention of developing erroneous beliefs about a particular suspect.

would stop him moving the body to where the fires where...
The large amount of people who would be on site Firies, FFMV crews, police at road closures etc etc.

These size fires don’t just go out over night. They are still working on put fires out from early Feb around my area with no rain either so there would be 0% chance he’d be going anywhere near where there are going to be people.

Any fire area can be thrown out the window. You’ve clearly never seen/been near/had anything to do with the a large scale fire like these were.

The large amount of people who would be on site Firies, FFMV crews, police at road closures etc etc.

These size fires don’t just go out over night. They are still working on put fires out from early Feb around my area with no rain either so there would be 0% chance he’d be going anywhere near where there are going to be people.

Any fire area can be thrown out the window. You’ve clearly never seen/been near/had anything to do with the a large scale fire like these were.
Absolutely! I'm amazed at how little the Melbourne folk actually know or understand of anything outside The Bom's 64KM radar! You couldn't get near the fires, cops everywhere, we were turned back 30k's away trying to get some kids out of Beaufort!

I'm not sure anyone is doubting that confirmation bias is a thing and that cops, like the rest of us, are susceptible.

Iddles was obviously very good at his job and likely due to his ability to engage in critical thinking and therefore prevention of developing erroneous beliefs about a particular suspect.
Even Ron Iddles, with all his critical thinking, got it wrong and charged the wrong bloke. When they finally let Peter Smith out after 11 months in remand, he shook Ron’s hand and said something about how he’d done a lot of dodgy stuff he’d never been caught for, so he figured they could pretty much call it square.

Last edited:
Even Ron Iddles, with all his critical thinking, got it wrong and charged the wrong bloke. When they finally let Peter Smith out after 11 months in remand, he shook Ron’s hand and said something about how he’d done a lot of dodgy stuff he’d never been caught for, so he figured they were pretty much square.
In Smiths case it was Iddles who asked the OPP to drop the charges, when he realised he might have got the wrong man. This demonstrates the open mindedness cops need to have, even after they have charged someone.

Sure, and refer the literally millions of cases where that didn't happen. Are you saying you believe police knew Spedding (the accused child abuser) didn't do it and went after him anyway just to pin the crime on somebody and close the case?

There certainly wasn't any solid evidence linking him to the crime. Him repairing a washing machine at the property should not have been enough to get him on the suspect list.

The most disturbing part was the attempt to reopen historical abuse charges that had been dismissed and were subsequently dismissed again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back