Selling home games

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
There is something fundamentally wrong with Melbourne selling games to NT and the same non-Victorian sides end up missing MCG experience

Meanwhile Richmond have more games consecutively to finish the season at the GF venue than some other clubs have had in the past four seasons

This comp is a joke

Not to worry I believe Optus Stadium is the similar or same dimensions as the MCG. So I wouldn't fret about the reigning premiers too much.

All about crowds. Really, the AFL should allow clubs to sell games to SA and WA. This "established market" clause is a joke.
It'd also even up the fixture a bit so those teams don't travel as often (from 10, down to 6-7)

There is something fundamentally wrong with Melbourne selling games to NT and the same non-Victorian sides end up missing MCG experience

Meanwhile Richmond have more games consecutively to finish the season at the GF venue than some other clubs have had in the past four seasons

This comp is a joke

Felt like Melbourne was the away team today, even got to call the coin toss.

Sell it to china next year I want to read about which Eagles players got food poisoning and s**t themselves on the flight home. Hopefully Masten I reckon he has hepatitis by the look of him.

It is amusingly sinister how the last 2 years have been Melbourne vs the previous year's highest-finishing non-Vic team (get them away from the MCG!). But if you are the Crows or Eagles (who have played a few H&A & preseason games there over the years), you'd jump at the chance.

This comp is a joke

Sorry, you want to have say in where another club hosts their home game? Get real. Access to the MCG is an issue for interstate clubs but that doesn't mean you get to tell MCG tenants where to hold their games. Hey Adelaide, we need some practice at Optus Stadium, can you host your home game there m8?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, you want to have say in where another club hosts their home game? Get real. Access to the MCG is an issue for interstate clubs but that doesn't mean you get to tell MCG tenants where to hold their games. Hey Adelaide, we need some practice at Optus Stadium, can you host your home game there m8?

So what you just get to sell your games to wherever you like and we just have to turn up? BRB next year the game is in Botswana, last one home is a rotten egg.

This comp is a joke

Better than selling them to another club like you used to do in the early 2000's to gift Brisbane an extra game at the Gabba

I think it's a great idea to play in regional areas

#bringthegametothepeople
And Alice is definitely one of the best non-club locations to play at as well. Rather that than the long trip to China or Darwin or NZ, or the chilly trip to Ballarat or Hobart. A genuine regional feel, has a buzz about it. Alice is the last away home game I would be complaining about (Riverway Stadium in Townsville looked really nice as well a few weeks back).

Could be wrong but I believe the deal has been a necessary move from a financial perspective. I dread the games (and week after) each year, but it's got to be a positive for the game in NT at least.

So what you just get to sell your games to wherever you like and we just have to turn up? BRB next year the game is in Botswana, last one home is a rotten egg.

Well yes, since when does the opposition get to decide the venue? If you want a chance at four points you go to where they host the game and play them, it is quite simple.

As I said access to the MCG is another issue but the solution is not allowing interstate clubs to dictate where other clubs host their home games.

Not when the gf is played at one ground every year

Every interstate club needs every single game at the mcg it can get

Its not our fault this stupid fkkkn vic centric league has too many teams in one city and cant afford it - they can take other broke arse vic teams and go play them in buttfunk idaho

The best solution is for you to drop out of the comp and join the WAFL.

You won’t have to worry about any travel and we won’t have to deal with these garbage threads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back