Shane Crawford retires - Post tributes in this thread ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Crawford Retires!!!!!!!

That's what I'm talking about!
Club and AFL legend....hope the club can find some sort of developmental role (if he wants it) should he return to footy. What a champ. #9 Shane Crawford!

Thank you Crawf for everything you have done for the club. You mean so much to Football and the Hawthorn football club.

The crowning glory was the flag.

Crawf should and will be remembered as one of the Hawthorn greats.

The number of kids who had # 9 on their jumpers over the years reflects the esteem that Crawf is held in. He almost single handed kept the team going through the rough years.

Deserves all the accolades.

A great player, great bloke and a truly great Hawk.

Re: Shane Crawford retires

Apologies if this is indeed correct to OP...but first I've heard of it......all indications were he was playing on....
If it is true...congrats to Crawf on a fantastic loyal career at Hawthorn. You will always be a favourite son of the club. All the best to you and the family!

No probs RD. I'm sure you are as shocked and gutted as me.

I'd love to see a career highlights DVD so i can re-live all the memories.

Shane Crawford - Absolute Legend!

It is sad day for Australian rules football and the Hawthorn Football Club and fans and supporters

Shane Crawford thank for playing for 17 years at the Hawthorn FC, LOVE YA MATE............

I was surprised to see he was going to continue. Comes across as unselfish and with the kids pushing for a spot I would of put money on him retiring post GF. Well that has now happened and my memories of the champ will now be kept in tact.

Love to see champions go out on a high and he has now done so.
Good on ya crawf and best of luck with your future endeavors.

As noted by others, it's strange that all the talk was of one-year contracts and now BANG! He's not gonna go around again.

Anyways, well done Shane! You stuck with the Hawks when they were at the bottom of the barrel and now you've seen them at the absolute pinnacle of the AFL. Fantastic career and, though it sucked to see your team win it this year I'm bloody glad you got that medal round your neck!

Bowling, Shane!!!!:thumbsu:

Rapped for crawf finishing on a high. He could have went again I think. He was good enough. Anyway gives an opportunity to a young guy. Morton, Dowler or Josh. Go crawf and all the best to you and your family. You were a true champ of the club!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a champion.
We should make round 1 a tribute to him. Unfurling the flag and paying tribute to Shane, we would destroy Geelong.

Re: Crawf retires !

Hell my thoughts as well phil....

Congratulations on a fantastic career Shane Crawford..... 2008 Premiership player!

It wont be the same with out your blonde hair & number 9 running around!

You was there for the Hawks during the hard year and you help rebuild the hawks to challenege for a new glory in the future.....

Thankyou Crawf, Best wish for your future and good health to you and your new family.

x:thumbsu:

What a ****en Champion, will go down as one of the Hawthorn FC greatest...Enjoy your family and life Crawf! looking forward to the boy's hopefully playing their part in history as well.:)

Thanks, shane! You are truly a great of this fantastic club, and it's sad to think that I have grown up with you in the colours I love, and now that after so long you have gone. Crawf bled brown and gold through a tough period, and in the end he was rewarded handsomely.

Premiership player, Captain of the club, 300-game player (with one club), Brownlow medallist, AFLPA MVP, State of Origin rep, 4-time all australian, and an absolute champion bloke.

I am proud that some day I'll be able to tell my grand kids that I saw this legend play.

What else can one say, that hasn't been said already?..You have been a true champ, and a Hawk through and through. SO happy that you could the cup aloft that you wanted so badly. You have succeeded in all facets of football, best and fairests,Brownlow medallist, and now a PREMIERSHIP PLAYER!!..You achieved it all.. Well done Crawf. Enjoy your retirement, and whatever you choose to do now. You are a Brown & Gold hero, and will go down in history as one of the best..I will miss you, as I am sure many others will too..THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES CRAWF..All the best to you and your family..:)

Im really sad to hear that he has retired as I was hoping so much to see him go around one more time!!

Your a dead set legend Crawf and will always be remembered as a true CHAMPION of Hawthorn! I, like so many others, was SO happy when you finally got that premiership medal you deserved and am glad that even though your retiring, you have finished on top and with what you set out to achieve!

The main thing thats gutting me atm is that we won't see him being carried off the ground in his last game in the brown and gold, however i am hoping that us fans will get an opportunity, hopefully in round one 2009, to give him a proper farewell!!

:eek: I'm very shattered. I can't believe he announced it. He has had an outstanding career.

Thanks for the memories, you will be very much missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back