Sheffield Shield Round 10: WA v NSW @ WACA

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, "not tall enough and too slow" does NOT take more wickets than anyone else in the comp by daylight, 2 years running! He clearly IS tall enough, and fast enough, to smash batting orders, and has done it with monotonous regularity this season. I'm quite confident he'll continue this in AS. Add to that, Joe Mennie, who was called up for national duty and has only recently rejoined the Redbacks, taking 9/88 for man of the match yesterday, and I'm quietly confident of pushing to take the shield.
Like I said, Sayers is great. He's been a deserved leader of the bowling stats all season. But all bowlers have strengths and weaknesses, and you don't seem to grasp the importance of context when factoring these in.

The pitch rolled out in Alice Springs for the last match did not offer much bounce and did not offer much seam movement. That is not typical of pitches in Australia in general or Adelaide in particular, so stats go out the window a bit. Yes, Sayers is a quality bowler but because of his short stature and lack of pace he struggles on those kinds of pitches - as seen at the SCG the other week. This is not a problem over the course of the season (hence his great stats) but can be an issue in specific matches.

SA have a great bowling attack, but without Richardson their overreliance on accurate medium pacers makes them worryingly one dimensional. If Victoria have any sense they'll produce a pitch that nullifies Sayers and Mennie, and the final will be an uphill battle.

Deal track aka Adelaide oval the last 50 years?? It's only the deadbacks shambolic batting that makes the deck look like theirs cobras in it
I wouldn't call Adelaide a dead track. A road, certainly, but there is always plenty of bounce and carry in the pitch.

Still think if the home state can't find a adequate pitch in their state they forfeit the rights to host it. It's ridiculous that the Vics have held it in Tasmania and Alice. Out of the 100's of top notch grounds in the state are you telling me not 1 is suitable for the SS final?

Like I said, Sayers is great. He's been a deserved leader of the bowling stats all season. But all bowlers have strengths and weaknesses, and you don't seem to grasp the importance of context when factoring these in.

The pitch rolled out in Alice Springs for the last match did not offer much bounce and did not offer much seam movement. That is not typical of pitches in Australia in general or Adelaide in particular, so stats go out the window a bit. Yes, Sayers is a quality bowler but because of his short stature and lack of pace he struggles on those kinds of pitches - as seen at the SCG the other week. This is not a problem over the course of the season (hence his great stats) but can be an issue in specific matches.

SA have a great bowling attack, but without Richardson their overreliance on accurate medium pacers makes them worryingly one dimensional. If Victoria have any sense they'll produce a pitch that nullifies Sayers and Mennie, and the final will be an uphill battle.

Seriously, our bowlers have been fantastic this year. They always get the job done. You forgot the best leg spinner in the comp too. Not one dimensional at all. Head takes wickets at international level as a change up too. Our batsmen though have been shite. They started to put it together last game. Heads done farcall last half of season, he's due. Pumped.

You forgot the best leg spinner in the comp too.
That's Fawad Ahmed. By my reckoning, anyway.

Unlucky to have not played much this season, but give me a choice between the two in whites, I know who I'd be taking.

I prefer Swepson too.

Interesting that Mackin hasn't been as great since Behrendorff's. Having those two going off at the same time would leave even the best batting line ups shitting themselves.

Seriously, our bowlers have been fantastic this year. They always get the job done. You forgot the best leg spinner in the comp too. Not one dimensional at all. Head takes wickets at international level as a change up too. Our batsmen though have been shite. They started to put it together last game. Heads done farcall last half of season, he's due. Pumped.
Good luck I guess.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back