Shield Round 1: WA vs Vic, WACA, 4-7 October

Remove this Banner Ad

Victoria will lose by an in innings to a second XI…
It's closer to a third XI:

Missing players:

Connolly
Hobson
Cartright
Fanning
Short
Marsh (ODI)
Stoinis (ODI)
Green (ODI)
Inglis (ODI)
Agar
McKenzie
Jackson
Morris
Richardson
Paris
Behrendorff
Kelly
Tye

Murph getting absolutely whacked while Rocchiccioli dominates. He was useless in the final last season as well. Usually it's WA that has no idea about playing spin.

He bowls so quickly that he can't extract any turn from the pitch, so he's basically a really crap medium pacer.

It's closer to a third XI:

Missing players:

Connolly
Hobson
Cartright
Fanning
Short
Marsh (ODI)
Stoinis (ODI)
Green (ODI)
Inglis (ODI)
Agar
McKenzie
Jackson
Morris
Richardson
Paris
Behrendorff
Kelly
Tye
Connolly, Hobson, Jackson and McKenzie haven't played FC cricket, so listing them is hilarious
Short has barely played despite being mostly available for years. Debatable whether or not he'd be ahead of any of the bats this game.
Fanning has four games for an average of under 20. It'd be debatable if he would get in this side
Behrendorff hasn't played a FC game since 2017, Tye since 2018

So really you have Cartwright, four guys in the ODI squad that barely play Shield apart from Inglis, and a few quicks. It's got a few second XI members but it's hardly that far off your most consistent XI

Connolly, Hobson, Jackson and McKenzie haven't played FC cricket, so listing them is hilarious
Short has barely played despite being mostly available for years. Debatable whether or not he'd be ahead of any of the bats this game.
Fanning has four games for an average of under 20. It'd be debatable if he would get in this side

So really you have Cartwright, four guys in the ODI squad that barely play Shield apart from Inglis, and a few quicks. It's got a few second XI members but it's hardly that far off your most consistent XI
Okay, maybe I should clarify - a third string bowling attack.
Kelly, Behrendorff, Paris, Morris, Agar, Green, Marsh and Richardson all would be ahead of Stobo, Gannon, Haskett, and debatably Rocc.

And we're going to win by an innings.

Kelly, Behrendorff, Paris, Morris, Agar, Green, Marsh and Richardson all would be ahead of Stobo, Gannon, Haskett, and debatably Rocc.

Behrendorff hasn't played FC cricket for 6 years. He's not playing anywhere.

You underestimate Stobo quite a bit. He's a better bowler than Marsh and Green IMO, and if given the chance is probably as good as Kelly (who I rate)

And don't count your chickens before they hatch mate

I'm hearing you, but to be fair, we probably have Inglis, Cartwright and either Marsh or green missing as one will be playing test you'd think.

The bowling line up however is our second string attack.
We're missing Richardson, although there remains doubt whether or not he'd be available due to his previous injuries.
Kelly, Paris and Morris would all be walk up starts you'd think.

Definitely not a 3rd side but reckon we have at least 5 to 6 out which is a fair chunk missing.

As you say, I won't be counting our chooks yet, as pretty much anything can happen in cricket.

Marsh is a spud and prone to heartstring injury

Biggest losses are the entire pace attack, plus Green, Cartwright and Inglis. But to be able to cover so well for Richardson, Kelly, Paris, Morris shows they have terrific bowling depth. Have been impressed by Liam Haskett. A good prospect and a rare left armer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't 3 of Paris, Morris, Richardson & Kelly, plus Inglis, Agar & Cartright play if available or fit?

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Biggest losses are the entire pace attack, plus Green, Cartwright and Inglis. But to be able to cover so well for Richardson, Kelly, Paris, Morris shows they have terrific bowling depth. Have been impressed by Liam Haskett. A good prospect and a rare left armer.
Yeah falls away a little bit with his action BGman...but another strong lad ...good to see for WA

Roc over Agar every day of the week in the long form.

made it to lunch while batting like snails
Survival is the name of the game though tbh.

CA website really should tell us how many overs left in the day though.

128 overs is the name of the game. Need Perry, Sutherland and Harper to carry the brunt of that. 63x6, 378 balls. If those three can face 100 more each I think Ferg can see out the rest most likely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back