NO TROLLS Should AFL players bend the knee before each match in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Baird

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone else get creeped out by the kneeling last year? Even ignoring the reason for it, the image of 44 people solemnly performing an act of submissive worship all facing the centre of a ground within a huge empty stadium. Just such a strange and eerie sight

JZ_Skitzo

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Seahawks
Except it does. Players went off to war and some never came back.
Nice reach there, but ok. I'll say fair enough. Players were directly impacted by War. So it's allowed in sport? Hence ANZAC day.

That then sets a precedent, surely.

Players kneeling for injustice that black/indigenous people experience. Directly impacts black/indigenous players of said sport. Therefore should be allowed in sport.

Female player kneeling for gender equality. Directly impacts female players. Therefore should be allowed in sport.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
By now you've probably heard about what happened in a recent Rugby match between Ireland and Wales.

I've seen on other forums, e.g. EPL forums, people wondering whether it is time for EPL players to stop bending the knee before each match.

Does anybody know if the AFL (and / or AFLPA) has already released a statement about their plans on this front for 2021?

And what do you think: should bending the knee become an ingrained part of the AFL, and happen before every game from now on?

Or do you want to see the AFL reduce its overt support for the BLM political movement?
Taking a knee shouldn't be mandated. But if you want to take a knee go for it. Standing to attention for a Scottish melody isn't any more meaningful and in many ways less.

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
Things like the black power salute, apartheid boycotts, Muhammed Ali and the Winmar gesture were also often condemned by those at the time as unnecessary intrusions of politics into sport...

Those condemning taking the knee by sportspeople will be relegated to footnotes of history - nothing is surer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mr bagcroft

Premiership Player
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know people want that, but sports are a part of society. There are advertisers. Advertisers have to be appealing to consumers. Consumers have ideas about what they want to see on the playing field.
No,. Thats just called pandering. And we need to be stronger and better than that. it ABSOLUTELY can just be for what it is , sport. Leave the rest to imbeciles arguing and virtue signaling on soical media. Where the rest of of us can ignore all the constant look at me virtue bullshit.

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No,. Thats just called pandering. And we need to be stronger and better than that. it ABSOLUTELY can just be for what it is , sport. Leave the rest to imbeciles arguing and virtue signaling on soical media. Where the rest of of us can ignore all the constant look at me virtue bullshit.
Sport can be a powerful force for social change, look at South Africa.

HaroLad

HaroChad
Dec 11, 2013
Baghdad
AFL Club
Geelong
Reality is that there is money involved. “Stronger” means operating on less money. See if your club will give up money so your players can call the opposition nasty names.
How much money does kneeling before games generate? Not much, I’d imagine.
Sport can be a powerful force for social change, look at South Africa.
What social change?

Chief

Overlord
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
How much money does kneeling before games generate? Not much, I’d imagine.
You're being obtuse here.

There was a broader question of "purity of sport". Keeping politics out of sport.

Nobody said individual acts had a specific dollar value attached, though I am sure someone with knowledge of these things could analyse the available numbers and estimate the cost to a club of specific incidents.

Kneeling specifically - I am sure there would be repercussions of clubs demanding their players not kneel in support of indigenous against systemic racism and violence.

HaroLad

HaroChad
Dec 11, 2013
Baghdad
AFL Club
Geelong
You're being obtuse here.

There was a broader question of "purity of sport". Keeping politics out of sport.

Nobody said individual acts had a specific dollar value attached, though I am sure someone with knowledge of these things could analyse the available numbers and estimate the cost to a club of specific incidents.

Kneeling specifically - I am sure there would be repercussions of clubs demanding their players not kneel in support of indigenous against systemic racism and violence.
Generally, keeping it to a minimum so not as to attract attention wouldn’t deplete sponsorship value at all, in my opinion. And too much of it will turn viewers off. I stopped watching the NBA/EPL forever because it was too over the top. many are sick of it.

morningbrown

Debutant
Mar 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Geez mate,

You are just itching to find racism at every turn. Please, “Asians getting our jobs?” I don’t remember that being stated at all during the last election. It a disgrace that you would label blue collar workers collective as racists or bigots. Maybe, the left majority parties should start looking after their traditional base, rather than selling them out?

“Murdoch media”? The whole of MSM is controlled in the states and the UK. I give you a tip, majority of it isn’t pushing a conservative agenda. Did you not read the recent report Murdoch control of MSM in Aus?

Big tech via Search engines, social Media and other online media censor and influence political perspectives to a much larger extent. It’s a disgrace and dangerous.
This might be the single dumbest take I've seen. Literally pick up a major newspaper or watch a single second of FOX News/Sky News. The right push their ideologies. And it is happening on the major network morning shows here as well, Samantha Armytage was leading the way for that crap.

Er, no it has nothing to do with race, it has to do with unfair wages. Not many NZers/pommies will come to aus and work for peanuts, yet people from """"poorer"""" countries will, driving wages down and causing financial instability in an entire existing class. If you replaced, lets say, indian and chinese migrants with eastern europeans you would still have the same problems.
Yes, blame the employee for this. Not the employer who is willing to pay people peanuts. Sure.

Keep the politics out of footy pls
Okay if you want politics out of footy, how about we remove gambling?

CaptainCripps13

Debutant
Suspended
Mar 29, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
This might be the single dumbest take I've seen. Literally pick up a major newspaper or watch a single second of FOX News/Sky News. The right push their ideologies. And it is happening on the major network morning shows here as well, Samantha Armytage was leading the way for that crap.

Yes, blame the employee for this. Not the employer who is willing to pay people peanuts. Sure.

Okay if you want politics out of footy, how about we remove gambling?
Fox and NewsCorp stand out because they promote opinions that differ to ABC, Fairfax, MSNBC, CBS etc.

Fox is right wing, but they do at least have left wing people on shows. You do get both views - but the right is dominant. The difference with CNN etc is you never get the opposing view - it is solely left talking points.

Like being free to kneel, people are free to watch what they want and what we need to stop is this outrage/cancel culture from both sides. If a player kneels for two minutes who cares?

Remove this Banner Ad