Opinion Should Betts play on in 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep! Look how he compares to what I consider the three best smalls in the comp!
TippaBettsPapleyCameron
Goals2.11.71.72
Score Involvements6.35.25.85.9
Disposals11.410.412.610.1
Tackles3.31.61.81.9
Ground ball gets444.52.9

Very, very close to all of these blokes in every parameter. The only item that stands out is Tippa's score involvements and tackles, everything else across the board is pretty flat. If Betts is performing as a top 5 forward pocket, then he needs another year.

Im going to say no, unless the AFL increases the playing list sizes back to normal levels. Given our mid-year intake were going to have to make cuts to the total list, and I dont expect Eddie to be playing in our Grand Final best 22. He's been great as an onfield coach, but should not take a list space, instead he should just be an assistant coach.

In current form, yes he does deserve to be on the list! Does he want to go on? Does he want to go out on top? Will he be able to accept a fair offer in salary for a player who would not be a certain 100% walk up next year. I feel if he makes his 350th on the final game of the season he'll step down.

If Curnow, Murphy, Eddie, Casboult all retire end of season we suddenly become so so young.

Give him a coaching role and maybe even consider mid-season drafting him next year if we're heading to finals and are in potential need of some of his craftiness in the latter part of the year.

In current form, yes he does deserve to be on the list! Does he want to go on? Does he want to go out on top? Will he be able to accept a fair offer in salary for a player who would not be a certain 100% walk up next year. I feel if he makes his 350th on the final game of the season he'll step down.

If Curnow, Murphy, Eddie, Casboult all retire end of season we suddenly become so so young.

Give him a coaching role and maybe even consider mid-season drafting him next year if we're heading to finals and are in potential need of some of his craftiness in the latter part of the year.

Yup agree there are multiple factors to consider, Eddie may well want to finish his AFL career on a positive note,
as one of the great CFC Sml, forwards of the modern era. I think as it stands , Blues record is games 210 & goals 320.
At the Crows its,132 games for 310 goals. Phenomenal champion, one best front and square sml players in yonks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On form, yes

What an incredible career, what a disaster that he didn't play it all with us.

Unless we recruit someone better or Durdin develops out of sight I can’t see how he doesn’t.

If our form had been more promising this year we could have looked at targeting a ready made player but I think our development is at least 12 months behind.

Of course on current form. But any discussion about playing on would need the caveat that he needs to be prepared to play a lot of games in the VFL. Form can drop of very quickly over a pre season and it won’t be long before the majority on here crack the $hits at the club giving him another year after a few poor games.

I also think it reflects poorly when Simmo got flicked where his form was still decent and he’d be picked ahead of many others getting games. The main thing in Eddie’a favour atm is that until Honey or Durdin come on, he has got the forward pocket wrapped up alongside Owies.

Of course on current form. But any discussion about playing on would need the caveat that he needs to be prepared to play a lot of games in the VFL. Form can drop of very quickly over a pre season and it won’t be long before the majority on here crack the $hits at the club giving him another year after a few poor games.

I also think it reflects poorly when Simmo got flicked where his form was still decent and he’d be picked ahead of many others getting games. The main thing in Eddie’a favour atm is that until Honey or Durdin come on, he has got the forward pocket wrapped up alongside Owies.

Simmo's form was decent at best, Betts is still doing very well.

I think at the very least, it is important we win games, and we wouldn't win many without him right now.

If he keeps up his form, and has the appetite, it is a no brainer for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back