Should chairing players off be for champions only?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with OP, in 10 years time no one will be talking about Shannon Hurn or Shaun Higgins feats on the football field. Good players with longevity, champions they are not.

I would very much so argue that Hurn will certainly be remembered in 10 years time by West Coast fans and the club.

If a premiership winning captain, club games record holder and along with his other personal accolades doesn’t consider him a club champion then the bar must be set incredibly high.

Perfect candidate to get the chair.

You don’t have to be in the top 5 players to ever play the game to be a champion at your club and that’s what really counts. The respect you receive from your club and members over every other person who has no connection to said players thinking what they achieved doesn’t count.

There should be a full permission slip signed off by the field umpire - this player to be chaired, by whom, how far, whether they are smiling, how many claps, how many photos, whether the crowd stands or sits. Enforcement to be in the form of snipers.

Who would you define as a champion?
Right now? Sloane, Betts, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Mundy, Selwood, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Bontempelli, Riewoldt, N Jones, Franklin, Cunnington, Hurn, Boak, Gray, Josh Kennedy’s, Burgoyne, Dusty, Cotchin, Houli

I imagine I’ve missed someone but guys like Higgins aren’t champions but don’t know how that fella hasn’t included Hurn 🤦🏻‍♀️

A
Right now? Sloane, Betts, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Mundy, Selwood, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Bontempelli, Riewoldt, N Jones, Franklin, Cunnington, Hurn, Boak, Gray, Josh Kennedy’s, Burgoyne, Dusty, Cotchin, Houli

I imagine I’ve missed someone but guys like Higgins aren’t champions but don’t know how that fella hasn’t included Hurn 🤦🏻‍♀️
Apparently playing 300 games, winning multiple AA's, being a premiership captain and the AFL PA's best captain doesn't make you a champion...

See..this is why the title word of “ champion” has all but lost its meaning.
Diluted down and meaningless because so many are apparently “ champions” instead of just saying ..really good superstar players for their OWN CLUB.

Real genuine Champions are blokes who were an ornament to the very game itself in the way they played. Well above regular ‘ greatness’ that others are anointed with.

Only Selwood and Pendlebury fit that bill from your pathetic list.

Jones? Lol

And therein lies the problem. It's - at the very least - a reasonable discussion about whether several of those names have actually had better careers than Higgins.

Cox, Cousins, Kerr, Jakovich and JK

Is this just from West Coast? If Kerr qualifies, Matera, McKenna, Kemp, Judd, Worsfold and Glass easily do as well for starters. The only possible way anyone could say Kerr is a bigger West Coast legend than Judd is - funnily enough - if they're basing it on games played for the club.

Sumich, Mainwaring, Lewis, McIntosh and more recently, McGovern, Yeo, Shuey, Priddis, Gaff and Naitanui. I could keep going. If Kerr's in, so are they.

I think chairing off players after 300 games is more about respecting the durability of the journey and how difficult it is to actually play 300 games.
For mine you can be a champion of your club (Kane Cornes) but not a champion of the competition. On other occasions the player with be both.
I'm not sure what the average amount of games is for drafted players but 300 games would we well above that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Kerr the drip feed with 1 AA 2 bnf 200 odd games and lots of convictions is a champion of the game but not Fyfe and dusty ?
Clearly he was only listing WCE player, no need to get your nose out of joint...
was replying to his previous post aswell where he said dusty and Fyfe weren’t champions only Pendles and Selwood

Not sure I'd rate Kerr higher than Hurn in the grand scheme of things, considering Hurn's had greater personal achievements and played more games.

Kerr could have won at least 2 Brownlows if he didn’t have Judd and Cousins as teammates

Hurn has been a very solid backman for many years and a great capt just like Worsfold

For sheer talent Kerr was brilliant and Hurn doesn’t even come close

Kerr could have won at least 2 Brownlows if he didn’t have Judd and Cousins as teammates

Hurn has been a very solid backman for many years and a great capt just like Worsfold

Yeah, but he didn't win a Brownlow and has the same amount of premierships and one less AA than Hurn.

Kerr was a brilliant player at his peak but so was Hurn. he's just such an unassuming guy that it's probably gone unnoticed by opposition supporters.

So he would have won multiple Brownlows, if he didn't have two teammates in the midfield who were clearly better than him?

It's a moot point as only a complete dill would think any of the West Coast players mentioned were unworthy of being chaired off, but it's pretty clearly a question of the player's contribution to the club/s and - to a lesser extent - the league. Sheer talent isn't a consideration.

Yes. I hope the AFL sets up a chairing committee to determine eligible chairees, with a health and safety course for eligible chairers.
Don’t be so hasty. First the AFL needs to set up a committee to determine the eligible chairing committee members who will determine the eligible chairees.

See..this is why the title word of “ champion” has all but lost its meaning.
Diluted down and meaningless because so many are apparently “ champions” instead of just saying ..really good superstar players for their OWN CLUB.

Real genuine Champions are blokes who were an ornament to the very game itself in the way they played. Well above regular ‘ greatness’ that others are anointed with.

Only Selwood and Pendlebury fit that bill from your pathetic list.

Jones? Lol
There’s a difference between champion and legend. If Nathan Jones isn’t a champion of the Melbourne Football Club then I know nothing about football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back