Should chairing players off be for champions only?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with OP, in 10 years time no one will be talking about Shannon Hurn or Shaun Higgins feats on the football field. Good players with longevity, champions they are not.

Again, who in f*** cares?

do you think at the end of the game the players teammates take a straw poll on the field - ‘do we reckon anyone will talk about this bloke in 10 years?

There have been nearly 13,000 players to play at least one AFL/vfl match.

263 of them have reached 250 matches.

2 per cent of players - one in every 50 - gets there.

I’d say whether you’re going to be remembered or not is pretty immaterial given how much you’ve defied the odds just to play that many games and if it really pisses you off that much you’ve probably got bigger problems to worry about

Again, who in f*** cares?

do you think at the end of the game the players teammates take a straw poll on the field - ‘do we reckon anyone will talk about this bloke in 10 years?

There have been nearly 13,000 players to play at least one AFL/vfl match.

263 of them have reached 250 matches.

2 per cent of players - one in every 50 - gets there.

I’d say whether you’re going to be remembered or not is pretty immaterial given how much you’ve defied the odds just to play that many games and if it really pisses you off that much you’ve probably got bigger problems to worry about

Re-read what you've written and maybe have a think about who is the one who is actually pissed off mate.

I'm allowed to have an opinion, and you can too without being a certified A grade spanner

The 2 or so carrying them off are worse. Sometimes they're lowly players that wont make 80 games and I don't really give a s**t about their personal relationsip with the player.

On national tv senior players should always chair them off

The 2 or so carrying them off are worse. Sometimes they're lowly players that wont make 80 games and I don't really give a sh*t about their personal relationsip with the player.

On national tv senior players should always chair them off

Examples? I'd say it's almost invariably two of the players who've spent the longest time with the milestone/retiring player, unless that would end up being a ruckman on one side and a rover on the other or if they're lugging Sandilands or Mumford around.

Selwood, Ziebell, Kennedy and McGovern were the players involved on the weekend and I think that's pretty typical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, it should only be reserved for champions, elites, jets and A-graders. If you fit into fewer than 2 of those categories, no chair for you. I am working on a Venn diagram on this currently.

Is there a lesser chairing off that can be implemented for 150 gamers and chancers that made 200? Like when a trainers half carry someone off with a knee injury?

I really dont know why anyone would care that much. (Apart from the fact that this is bigfooty).

The leadership group would decide.. Good leadership groups reserve it for worthy players. Bad ones may give it out where it isnt warranted.

Dual team "guards of honour" are only ever for the real champs, as you need to have the oppo on board for that.

Too hard to put a games qualifier on it.
If Cyril had the chance for a retirement game, we would have built a ******* palanquin (Look it up), and he only played 189 Games.

How do the NFL or the EPL honour their retiring club greats? Let's copy what they do.

Hang on...

NFL stars just walk off down the players tunnel without any recognition. They have a press conference which might last for 30 minutes - that seems to be their biggest priority. In 95% of cases, they play out their final years as role players for 2-3 other franchises and just fade away without ANY fanfare at all.

Similar for English footballers who end up playing for 4 or 5 clubs, often in the lower divisions.
The one-club legends might give a clap towards the fans before they leave the arena. That's it.

Nobody does it as well as the AFL.

What a great symbolic tradition we have of honouring the retired club stalwarts, superstars and worthy servants.

Yeah, maybe some players are more worthy of a bigger standing ovation than others, but who cares?
Imagine you didn't say "see ya later" to someone because they're not your best friend.

I know some players have been very important or popular in their teams. Or maybe had a lot of adversity in their career or life. The club and players feel they should be chaired off. To me its one of - if not the greatest honour a player can receive. It seems to me it's given a little too frequently to "average" players. At least on the surface.
If it irritates you to see an opposition club chairing off a player you don't care about it, just do this...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Yes, it should only be reserved for champions, elites, jets and A-graders. If you fit into fewer than 2 of those categories, no chair for you. I am working on a Venn diagram on this currently.

What about guns? Don't forget weapons.

It's the guards of honour for me that are extremely cringe. The most useless player in the league will get one in two weeks when he finally hobbles to his 300th, lol. Should be reserved for the greats, the ACTUAL greats like Franklin, Ablett and Judd when they retire.

Do you think he'll change out of the medical sub tracksuit to get chaired off?

200 games needs to be the minimum, typically a battler like Shaun Atley will get the quick 5 step chair off as they near the tunnel which is fine. Guards of honour need to be reserved for unique milestones (Shaun Burgoyne) or when a champion retires. No need to bring them out for Razor Ray like the Dogs/Cats did a few years ago.

Probably plus Rocca retired before I was a teenager

Some light reading for you as to how this legend began. See post 4.

Up there with Jack Watts poll options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back