List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone got an update on list spots?

Main List
In: Frost, Nash, Hanrahan
Pending: Patton
Out: Roughy, Birchall
Pending: Miles, Minchington, Mirra, Poppy, Schoenmakers

Rookie List
In:
Out: Langford, Nash, Hanrahan

So assuming all the Pending happens, we’ll have 3 non-rookie upgrade picks (5 total)?

Yeah I agree, there will be some games like WCE where it looks ok, but if he gets stuck on a fast leading type it could get ugly.

Doesn't hurt McGovern too much, who isn't overly quick.

McEvoy as a defender is not as much of a liability as people assume. He has a great tank, long limbs, great hands and reads the ball beautifully in flight.

Doesn't hurt McGovern too much, who isn't overly quick.

McEvoy as a defender is not as much of a liability as people assume. He has a great tank, long limbs, great hands and reads the ball beautifully in flight.
mcgovern does get caught out frequently holding his position deep and allowing his man to lead-up for an uncontested mark 40-50m out.

Hopefully if macca was to do the same, you'd have sicily/hardwick ready to intercept these short passes

Main List

Rookie List
In:

So assuming all the Pending happens, we’ll have 3 non-rookie upgrade picks (5 total)?

Isnt theres something we need the live picks to use the, for bid matching?

We traded a triple premiership player to Fremantle for Pick 23 in 2016. Fast fwd 3 years they're trying to trade the same player for 2 first rounders and a 3rd sweetener pick. How can they reconcile that in their brains. There is a narrative that they've built that he is a better player now than he was in 2016 but thats just BS> Freo is just a worse team. He is also 3yrs closer to his retirement than the guy who left us. Madness!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the start of the year our needs were for KPPs forward and back, a quality on-baller and small fwd. We've targetted the best available in Patton and Frost in the hope they may become quality players in our team structure, but we've missed out on the mid. Fortunately, this has been alleviated by the stagnated rise of the Worpedo but it also means Wingard must play on-ball. It means Puopolo will probably be given another 1 year contract as a result, from what I can see.

At the start of the year our needs were for KPPs forward and back, a quality on-baller and small fwd. We've targetted the best available in Patton and Frost in the hope they may become quality players in our team structure, but we've missed out on the mid. Fortunately, this has been alleviated by the stagnated rise of the Worpedo but it also means Wingard must play on-ball. It means Puopolo will probably be given another 1 year contract as a result, from what I can see.
The inclusion/return of Tom Mitchell makes this a little easier to accept.

Popeye should definitely be given another year - you'll see!

It's a good thing that Wingard is playing in mid. It's where we need him and where he plays his best footy. Mitchell coming back will be good plus the rise of Worpel as you said. We still got Howe, Jones and Cousins waiting in the wing to step up in the absence of one of these guys.

We always have the draft to target the mid and small forward. No need to draft a KPD now which I don't mind because how do you judge a key defender in this draft when there were no stand out key forwards to beat?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We traded a triple premiership player to Fremantle for Pick 23 in 2016. Fast fwd 3 years they're trying to trade the same player for 2 first rounders and a 3rd sweetener pick. How can they reconcile that in their brains. There is a narrative that they've built that he is a better player now than he was in 2016 but thats just BS> Freo is just a worse team. He is also 3yrs closer to his retirement than the guy who left us. Madness!

Hill has always been a cherry on top type of player and a very good role player of that but his value is to a team in the premiership window. When he went to freo they weren't so long gone from contending hence that time has moved on, Stkilda are nowhere near premiership contention and need some real engine room rejigging as good as Hill has been or is he isn't a sell the farm type of player and never will be.

Last edited:
I for one, hope we move Poppy on. Time to hope Moore or Hanrahan can step up and play the role. Might lack that genuine pace to be pressure forwards though.

Out: Rough, Birch, Schoey, Brand, Miles, Minch, Puopolo, Mirra

In: Nash, Hanrahan, Frost, Patton, Pick 11, Finn, Pepper, Late Pick

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I for one, hope we move Poppy on. Time to hope Moore or Hanrahan can step up and play the role. Might lack that genuine pace to be pressure forwards though.

It's always a tricky balance I think. The club seems to value making guys like Moore and Hanrahan earn their spot by pushing/keeping someone out. Poppy should stay on just to make sure these guys are at the top of their game until they have the spot outright.

Main List

Rookie List
In:

Could you take it that as GW mentioned Schoey and Poppy were in the balance, that Miles Minch Mirra were already gone but not announced?

Or was it simply that he wasnt asked?

(did I read that Box Hill Capt Moore has moved on? interesting)

If Mohr retires, is CJ Damon Greaves Will Golds Ned Reeves Harrison Jones the current rookies?

I agree with this entirely.

Mitchell Worpel Wingard O Meara is a good first choice midfield group. If Worpel can continue his rapid rise and Wingard can get back to career best form as the goal kicking midfielder / forward, it’s a good group. It doesn’t bat deep (and does require improvement from Worpel and Wingard) and it’s lacking in outside class but hopefully Smith and Scully can get back to their best and Henderson can maintain his 2018 form.

Small pressure forward and running midfielder should still be on the agenda for small trades. And we really should be the club giving Bennell a lifeline - free hit on outside / goal kicking class. I will be disappointed if another club signs him

We have enough Mids if all fit. Enough that some will do other roles Shiels Howe and un the past Lewis Hodge Sammy Burgoyne oh wait, we still have him

It looks like none of the young mids have decided to do a Joey Kennedy and bail. Half expected that.

As for inside 5os. Id like to see Nash and Lewis roaming out and providing laser passes back inside 50. They are caerainly capalw
Maybe 2020 is big fish year......

Yep it’s just Peter Bell being a bellend.
He huffed and puffed similarly with Lachie Neale last year, “he’s not going anywhere, he’s staying.” Next day he’s traded.
He’s a hard one to work out, Bell.
He’s either one of those smart arse corporate types whose spent a summer doing a Harvard management course and is therefore automatically smarter than everyone else, or he’s a puffed up little man trying to overcome his lack of physical size with a big ego, or maybe he’s a feisty sandgroper who’s not gonna cop it from those arrogant eastern staters. Maybe he’s even been reading Trump’s “Art of the deal”, (not actually written by Trump but that’s another story) with its “screw them all, all the time and if you lose, just claim it as a win” mentality.
Whatever it is, he’s just looking silly.

Moore and Poppy aren’t competing for the same spot in my eyes. Moore just isn’t quick enough to play primarily as the defensive/pressure forward. His spot will be high half forward/mid where he can use his elite endurance to greater effect. I like Ollie and has x-factor and can be a game winner but defensive pressure isn’t his forte either.
Even though Nash is 200cm tall he is probably going to be the one applying most our forward pressure next season unless we pick up someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back