Silvagni Sacked - Jack arcs up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad situation for the Blues, thought they might have turned the corner but this is Elliot tier bullshit.

Say what you like about Eddie but he leads a club, not a faction. Yes he threw Pert to the wo,vest he's not perfect but most of his energy goes into protecting his own and not sniping the bloke in the next office.

I have a family member doing some work at Carlton and what they see is this generation of players with awesome potential- stating the obvious to say Cripps is the real deal, but he is. It's worth acknowledging that while Silvagni had a lot of high picks he hasn't wasted many.

What will ruin these boys is the club screwing itself instead of getting behind them.

I have to say since Elliot got in the door at Carlton the place went to s**t. He bought the 1995 flag and since then, nothing.

Ur all over the Shop.

Something something Eddie. Something Elliott.

Righto.

He played 85 games for Richmond and 1 for North and the only thing i remember is 1 great mark and him being 2 kgs lighter after finishing than he was when he started. 194cm 80kgs FMD

Was probably a vegan. Pretty hard to put on weight when you don’t eat meat.

Either that or he just had high metabolism.

Not sure if kidding or not?
It's completely untenable.

But I'm not surprised people hold these views.

A true pro would walk and be employed elsewhere.
You’re a bit torn up about this injustice aren’t you?

2015:
Weitering
McKay
C Curnow
Cunninham
J Silvagni
Glass-McCasker
Galluci

2016:
SPS
Fischer
McReady
Polson
Williamson
Kerr
LeBoise
A Silvagni
Galluci

2017:
Dow
Obrien
Dekoning
Schumacher
garlett
Oshea
Shaw

2018:
DeLuca
Walsh
Stocker
Odwyer
B Silvagni
Goddard
Bugg

Just looking at that I think I see six good players, and four reasonable. Not terrible. Not quite enough.

I think a lot of the time SOS was relying on trades rather than draft, more heavily that most list managers. In that I don't think he had strong results.

The strike rate on trades or drafting would be barely 50% for the best list managers, so the above feels fairly normal. Maybe with so many early picks they could have done a bit better.

2015:
Weitering
McKay
C Curnow
Cunninham
J Silvagni
Glass-McCasker
Galluci

2016:
SPS
Fischer
McReady
Polson
Williamson
Kerr
LeBoise
A Silvagni
Galluci

2017:
Dow
Obrien
Dekoning
Schumacher
garlett
Oshea
Shaw

2018:
DeLuca
Walsh
Stocker
Odwyer
B Silvagni
Goddard
Bugg

Just looking at that I think I see six good players, and four reasonable. Not terrible. Not quite enough.

I think a lot of the time SOS was relying on trades rather than draft, more heavily that most list managers. In that I don't think he had strong results.

The strike rate on trades or drafting would be barely 50% for the best list managers, so the above feels fairly normal. Maybe with so many early picks they could have done a bit better.
Yeah mate and i can only see six good players at Richmond yet they've won two of the last three grand finals.

Can anyone find a link to Big Jack arcing up about SOS last Friday? It sounds like an excellent drunken rant.

Not sure if kidding or not?
It's completely untenable.

But I'm not surprised people hold these views.

A true pro would walk and be employed elsewhere.

You’re a bit torn up about this injustice aren’t you?
It's a strange argument for a Swans supporter to make when Blakey's dad is Director of Coaching at the Swans!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a strange argument for a Swans supporter to make when Blakey's dad is Director of Coaching at the Swans!

Interesting point. Probably depends on the exact role. Conflicts of interest happen throughout the game, it’s just a question of materiality.

Theres less of a conflict of interest in being a member of the coaching team (where your role is improving everybody). Compared to list management (where decisions about recruiting, not recruiting, retaining or delisting players can affect the careers of your sons).

Silvagni being list manager while his two sons are on the list is clearly a huge conflict.
He had to go.

How can other staff be expected to make list mgt decisions on those two while he is their boss? Ridiculous situation.

I actually agree with this. And I think secretly, a lot of Carlton fans would too.

However their annoyance stems from the fact that Liddle is playing the 'conflict' card when everyone knows it was his meddling in list management that caused the fallout.

It doesn’t at all. In fact your comparison to a side that has won two of the last three flags makes me smile.
I didn't make any comparison, i simply stated that i think Richmond has only six good players yet they've won two out of three flags. Is that a bit difficult for you to understand? But that was only in replying to that post, i was only stating that everyone is allowed an opinion. So don't make things up.

Last edited:
There is a clear conflict of interest if your role directly influences/decides on the recruiting/trading/retaining/delisting of your sons, there is no argument otherwise.

What is odd, is that this conflict of interest isn't new information, they didn't become his sons in the last 6 months. If that was a key reason, it should have been identified, explored and explained years ago as to how it would be addressed and in what circumstances. You can't just pop up years later and use the COI cop out.

I actually agree with this. And I think secretly, a lot of Carlton fans would too.

However their annoyance stems from the fact that Liddle is playing the 'conflict' card when everyone knows it was his meddling in list management that caused the fallout.

I think in the Carlton forum yesterday that was put to bed and the Liddle/Ellis thing was explained , It was not Liddle that caused it but more he was the person entrusted with the duty to carry this out by the list management team.

Carlton have been pro active and come out and explained the situation and if this was not the situation then silvagni has the chance to state his view which he has not done.

2015:
Weitering
McKay
C Curnow
Cunninham
J Silvagni
Glass-McCasker
Galluci

2016:
SPS
Fischer
McReady
Polson
Williamson
Kerr
LeBoise
A Silvagni
Galluci

2017:
Dow
Obrien
Dekoning
Schumacher
garlett
Oshea
Shaw

2018:
DeLuca
Walsh
Stocker
Odwyer
B Silvagni
Goddard
Bugg

The strike rate on trades or drafting wouljd be barely 50% for the best list managers, so the above feels fairly normal. Maybe with so many early picks they could have done a bit better.
I acknowledge Carlton’s playing list 2014 was inadequate, our recruiting dept those days was as inadequate.
I agree with SOS’s “high churn” strategy 2015-2018. We HAD to do something radical to find short-mid term competitive talent, most cost us very little or zip...
I can think of a handful of clubs who historically have done far worse at recruiting and for decades..

There is a clear conflict of interest if your role directly influences/decides on the recruiting/trading/retaining/delisting of your sons, there is no argument otherwise.

What is odd, is that this conflict of interest isn't new information, they didn't become his sons in the last 6 months. If that was a key reason, it should have been identified, explored and explained years ago as to how it would be addressed and in what circumstances. You can't just pop up years later and use the COI cop out.
Agree...pure spin from the clubs executive..
It’s irrelevant how it got to parting of the ways including COI...club has shown a lack of nous and professionalism which is a concern.

I acknowledge Carlton’s playing list 2014 was inadequate, our recruiting dept those days was as inadequate.
I agree with SOS’s “high churn” strategy 2015-2018. We HAD to do something radical to find short-mid term competitive talent, most cost us very little or zip...
I can think of a handful of clubs who historically have done far worse at recruiting and for decades..
Disagree with they cost you nothing. The rubbish players you picked up took a list spot away from a talented kid like Tom Papley or Tippa. The fact SOS tried to rectify this four years later with Tom shows it was a major miss in his list strategy. It’s a hard one to evaluate though as SOS record beyond first rounders in the draft has been less than flash.

And yeah, there’s probably been sides who have had poor recruiting for decades, but is this the benchmark you really want to evaluate the SOS legacy by?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back