News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I may have missed something. Maybe it's been mentioned somewhere.
But it was said last night that Cook was meeting with the Port ceo to discuss the possibility of Geelong playing in China next year. And the inference was that we'd give up a home Etihad game.
But if we are going for 9 home games then surely there'd be no Etihad game to give up?
You have not missed anything. Asking for and getting is two different things. 9 at KP and 2 at the G may be ideal but imo thats only likely to happen once the ground is TOTALLY finished and it can hold 40,000.

If we think about it... one would have to nut out who we would miss playing in Melb and who we get to play at Geelong. Port would love not having to play at KP , and we would never play them at Etihad.Id say the dollars would appeal to Cooky as well but I doubt we will do it for 600 , and id hope we ensure all players have business class etc.

You have not missed anything. Asking for and getting is two different things. 9 at KP and 2 at the G may be ideal but imo thats only likely to happen once the ground is TOTALLY finished and it can hold 40,000.

If we think about it... one would have to nut out who we would miss playing in Melb and who we get to play at Geelong. Port would love not having to play at KP , and we would never play them at Etihad.Id say the dollars would appeal to Cooky as well but I doubt we will do it for 600 , and id hope we ensure all players have business class etc.
Hang on, Geelong have already said they want 9 next year. And I think they'll get it.
It doesn't need to be a cats v port game at Etihad. They'd be giving up another home game.
Cook said there may be business opportunities with a China trip. So I don't think he's being short sighted and just looking at 600k. However, I bet we wouldn't make 600k from an Etihad game anyway.

Hang on, Geelong have already said they want 9 next year. And I think they'll get it.
It doesn't need to be a cats v port game at Etihad. They'd be giving up another home game.
Cook said there may be business opportunities with a China trip. So I don't think he's being short sighted and just looking at 600k. However, I bet we wouldn't make 600k from an Etihad game anyway.
Even if we have 9 at KP we still have two Melbourne games. Cook is saying he'd sacrifice one of those for China but not one of the 9 KP games.

Even if we have 9 at KP we still have two Melbourne games. Cook is saying he'd sacrifice one of those for China but not one of the 9 KP games.
Sure, but you wouldn't expect him to sacrifice an MCG game surely?
Maybe he's just trying to leverage 9 home games and doesn't really want the China game.

The afl might say 'look we'll give you 9 KP games and none at Etihad. We'd prefer to send the Suns to china'.

Sure, but you wouldn't expect him to sacrifice an MCG game surely?
Maybe he's just trying to leverage 9 home games and doesn't really want the China game.

The afl might say 'look we'll give you 9 KP games and none at Etihad. We'd prefer to send the Suns to china'.
Agree. I think Cook is just staking the ground - don't touch our KP games but if you were thinking of giving us our 10th or 11th at Etihad we'd be happy to take that to China.

Whats the basis of your assertion that we will get it? When was the last time we got 9 games anyway... in the 60's? 70's? 80's ?

I obviously did not make my self clear. Geelong would never play Port at Etihad ..except maybe in a final..there will be an argument now that should happen in Geelong . personally i dislike that. If we play finals i want them at the G. And as far as I know they really want to eliminate Docklands.. and just have the G and KP.

So they give up Port at KP , still have 8 games at KP but Port must be replaced with someone.. the teams we normally play at KP are

Weagles , Dockers , Port , Crows , Giants , Swans , Suns , Lions , and one or two bottom Vic sides
If we make 1M + in our KP games , and if we do OK our of the Melb games against big drawing Vic sides.. Id say they would have to match a good KP profit which would be over 1M

Last edited:
Whats the basis of your assertion that we will get it? When was the last time we got 9 games anyway... in the 60's? 70's? 80's ?

I obvious did not make my self clear. Geelong would never play Port at Etihad ..except maybe in a final..there will be an argument now that should happen in Geelong . personally i dislike that. If we play finals i want them at the G. And as far as I know they really want to eliminate Docklands.. and just have the G and KP.

So they give up Port at KP , still have 8 games at KP but Port must be replaced with someone.. the teams we normally play at KP are

Weagles , Dockers , Port , Crows , Giants , Swans , Suns , Lions , and one or two bottom Vic sides
If we make 1M + in our KP games , and if we do OK our of the Melb games against big drawing Vic sides.. Id say they would have to match a good KP profit which would be over 1M
Geez turbo, give me a spell. You want me looking up stats for you now?

I said "I think they will get 9"
In my original post I said I didn't know where this home game we would sacrifice would come from.
Oh, and by the way, 99 is your answer.

Plenty of 8 game seasons in between whilst the stadium was being upgraded so 9 is in no means a stretch.

Geez turbo, give me a spell. You want me looking up stats for you now?

I said "I think they will get 9"
In my original post I said I didn't know where this home game we would sacrifice would come from.
Oh, and by the way, 99 is your answer.

Plenty of 8 game seasons in between whilst the stadium was being upgraded so 9 is in no means a stretch.

No , I don't want that and it wasn't my intent to get you to do that. It was a rhetorical question really I can look up records like anyone else
You think we will get 9 home games and im saying its a long time since we have had 9 games ... OK 99 and before that it fluctuated between 9 and 10 . the Docklands is in the calculations since then , we have a 18 team comp so its hard to compare back then.

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 5.13.48 pm.png

Just looking at this...now this may be sacrilege ..but is the MCG too wide or is every other oval the wrong size..

Average size of 164 and 131

And whats noticeable .. is that GWS and the Adelaide teams probably find KP a very familiar size...
View attachment 376573
Waverley Park once had dimensions of 200m x 160m!

They should all be a standard size tbh...

Well the MCG is almost the default yet most other grounds are smaller... the new WA ground will be close to MCG size I believe. I think our ground is probably too different ..if they did make the MCG a default size it would kill KP..we would be playing in Moorabool St

Nah I like the different sizes, adds another dimension to the game. The narrower the wings the better though, you feel right on top of the game in Geelong...I would imagine from my seat in the Players Stand.

Just looking at this...now this may be sacrilege ..but is the MCG too wide or is every other oval the wrong size..

Average size of 164 and 131

And whats noticeable .. is that GWS and the Adelaide teams probably find KP a very familiar size...
View attachment 376573
I think the best footy gets played on the bigger grounds. Ethiad and Sydney is a bit ping pongy for me. I also used to like how Waverly had wide pockets. Plenty of space for the forwards.
Also the game opens up a lot more on the bigger grounds in the last half.
Problem is Waverly was hard to see down the other end, same as KP is a bit from the Ablett terrace.
I imagine SCG would be the best place to watch footy but you don't really see the best footy being played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many people walk past this and struggle to believe that less than 10 years ago this was one of the "grandstands" in Simonds Stadium.

past-players-stand.jpg

How many people walk past this and struggle to believe that less than 10 years ago this was one of the "grandstands" in Simonds Stadium.

past-players-stand.jpg

I have great memories of going to home games at KP with my father and grandfather as a kid in the 80's & 90's having to standing in front of that stand.

..."I know we said it 36,000 but its not really 36,000..its only 36,000 if we use the stadium to hold 36,000 but it really 34,000 not 36,000. 34,000 is really good crowd anyway because we are just a hick town club not one of those big city clubs..so 34,000 is really , a really , really good crowd.....

Wasn't there a TV show called spin city? Something is getting spun here.... just not sure what or who it is..

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...0/news-story/be80a770962e1e6395539df74069277f

Simonds Stadium capacity: Geelong Cats reveal capacity crowd is 34,000

AMID debate about whether Kardinia Park is large enough to host all of Geelong’s home matches, comes an inconvenient admission.

The much-publicised capacity of the ground, said to be 36,000 after the opening of the new $90 million Brownlow stand, is actually an exaggeration.

Cats acting CEO Justin Reeves has revealed that the headline figure is unrealistic because it assumes that every grandstand and function space is at maximum use at the same time.

“With the way we use it for a home and away match, the most we can achieve is about 34,000,” Reeves told the Geelong Advertiser.

“We have got to get our head around that 36,000 is sort of unachievable.

“The most the AFL could get for a final is 34,000.”

The Geelong Advertiser revealed on Saturday that the Cats will lobby the AFL to host all of its allocated 11 home games at Kardinia Park.

After a 14-year, $193 million redevelopment that has just one area of the stadium to complete, the Cats believe the complex should be used for all of its matches.

While the Cats encourage club members to use the onsell ticket facility if they aren’t attending matches, Reeves said at least 10 per cent — or 2500 — of the reserved seats are left vacant.

“The most we’ve ever achieved is 90 per cent. About 10 per cent of reserve seatholders don’t turn up.”

While the Cats encourage club members to use the onsell ticket facility if they aren’t attending matches, Reeves said at least 10 per cent — or 2500 — of the reserved seats are left vacant.

“The most we’ve ever achieved is 90 per cent. About 10 per cent of reserve seatholders don’t turn up.”

What we have got here is a failure to communicate.....

If its good enough to the Gov to count people as employed with 1 hours work per week... perhaps the club should be releasing seat sold not seats actually filled. This weeks game we have 98.5% seats sold...

Last edited:
What we have got here a failure to communicate.....

If its good enough to the Gov to count people as employed with 1 hours work per week... perhaps the club should be releasing seat sold not seats actually filled. This weeks game we have 98.5% seats sold...
Not thinking laterally enough, need to count the resold seats twice so we can say 38,500 attended this weeks game;)

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/feat...d-list-43-matches-regional-centres/2017-07-31

Slightly disappointing that Geelong hasn't got a Big Bash match this year with the expanded competition... Melbourne Stars have all 5 home games at the MCG, and the renegades have 4 home games at Etihad Stadium and one to be confirmed. While there is still a chance that this could be in Geelong, I personally doubt that as I can't see why they would "remain in discussions to take matches to new markets" for Geelong, given it hosted an international T20 just last season. Hope I'm wrong on that though.

For stage 5 to get up and running properly, there needs to be a fair increase in the amount of events held there over summer (and the amount of home games Geelong gets there too) for it to be a viable investment for all parties, and to attract a Big Bash game would have been a significant step forward in the possibility of getting a team one day.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/feat...d-list-43-matches-regional-centres/2017-07-31

Slightly disappointing that Geelong hasn't got a Big Bash match this year with the expanded competition... Melbourne Stars have all 5 home games at the MCG, and the renegades have 4 home games at Etihad Stadium and one to be confirmed. While there is still a chance that this could be in Geelong, I personally doubt that as I can't see why they would "remain in discussions to take matches to new markets" for Geelong, given it hosted an international T20 just last season. Hope I'm wrong on that though.

For stage 5 to get up and running properly, there needs to be a fair increase in the amount of events held there over summer (and the amount of home games Geelong gets there too) for it to be a viable investment for all parties, and to attract a Big Bash game would have been a significant step forward in the possibility of getting a team one day.

Well we've got the game on January 3rd. And what a perfect time to have it as many people are likely to come down the surf coast area camping for the Summer holidays. Expect at least 25,000 or more. A packed out K' park would be superb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back