Since 1995 We have had 11 premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Why was the starting year of 1995 relevant? Go back to 85 and it is still 11. In fact you need to go back to Richmonds last flag to increase that number to 12, over 30 years ago.

Well let's discount GC and GWS for now, what your saying is over a 9 year period 07-15 fully half the clubs in the AFL made a GF and a another 3 made it to prelims.

That's 11 of 16 legitimate clubs in massive contention, I can't see what else you want o_O

North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide have never been contenders at any stage since the start of 2007.

Just because those sides made the top 4 it does not mean they were contenders.

St Kilda and Fremantle were never going to win a flag under Ross Lyon, sure they made Grand Finals and put up a good fight, but neither side was ever going to win the premiership.

West Coast rode into 2nd last year off the back of an easy draw and a gameplan that caught sides off guard.

Adelaide 2012 were the same as West Coast 2015, they were just lucky they didn't sneak into the Grand Final and subsequently get their pants pulled down on the big stage.

What I'm trying to say is all the equalization in the world won't help clubs determined to sabotage themselves.

Equalisation won't stop the flag being shared between Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and Collingwood every year while no one else gets a look in.

North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide have never been contenders at any stage since the start of 2007.

St Kilda and Fremantle were never going to win a flag under Ross Lyon, sure they made Grand Finals and put up a good fight, but neither side was ever going to win the premiership.

West Coast rode into 2nd last year off the back of an easy draw and a gameplan that caught sides off guard.

Adelaide 2012 were the same as West Coast 2015, they were just lucky they didn't sneak into the Grand Final and subsequently get their pants pulled down on the big stage.

Equalisation won't stop the flag being shared between Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and Collingwood every year while no one else gets a look in.
What a joke, are you actually serious.

I honestly can't tell if you are trolling me, but ok I'll bite.

Are you aware to be a contender you don't actually have to win the flag, by your logic even if you come second you still are a contender.

Christ even if you draw and force a replay you STILL are not a contender.

Saying St kilda wasn't ever going to win is ludicrous, they won 3/4 Qrts against Geelong and a bounce stopped them beating Collingwood.

I think you forget how good the Dogs were from 08-10, 09 in particular they missed the GF by a kick and lost to Geelong in QF by 12 points. The lost to the premiers and runners-up by a combined total of less then 3 goals.

Port and Adelaide missed the GF by literally less then a kick against the eventual premiers away from home.

Also I struggle to see how you fit Sydney and Collingwood into your narrative. Collingwood has 1 flag in your timeline Sydney has 1 flag in your timeline. Seeing as how you like to retroactively decide if a team is a contender they both got pumped in thier second GFs so really they only contended the years they won. So exactly what have the shown to suggest they can perennially win flags?

So there we have it ladies and gentleman with Collingwood and Sydney removed from the equation that just leaves Hawthorn and Geelong to coin flip the next 50 flags.

Everyone else can go home, I mean they aren't really contenders.

What do people want? 18 premiers in 18 years? Otherwise it's uneven?

I think there have been a few factors at play over the past 5-10 seasons. Namely some clubs being well run and those clubs who have built lists have been helped from the new sides coming in which has made it harder for clubs just off the pace to strengthen

the balance is perfect in the AFL IMO. Varied enough so that you don't have the same teams winning all the time like the NBA or EPL, but not so varied that it's extremely difficult to form a dynasty type era (NFL).

Just look at the NBA over the last 35 years

Lakers 1
Celtics 1
Lakers 2
76ers 1
Celtics 2
Lakers 3
Celtics 3
Lakers 4
Lakers 4
Pistons 1
Bulls 1
Bulls 2
Bulls 3
Rockets 1
Rockets 2
Bulls 4
Bulls 5
Bulls 6
Spurs 1
Lakers 6
Lakers 7
Lakers 8
Spurs 2
Pistons 3
Spurs 3
Heat 1
Spurs 4
Celtics 4
Lakers 9
Lakers 10
Mavericks 1
Heat 2
Heat 3
Spurs 5
Warriors 1

And now the Warriors are 46-4 this season, with the Spurs next in line at 43-8. Both on pace to have all time great seasons.

Let's be honest, the only real way to "even up the draw" is to start the league over as a true interstate league. Not one that was born out of a state league with a drive to survive. The Way the AFL currently presents itself isn't ideal for equalisation, however it's the decks we've been dealt, and unless a few large clubs revolt and start their own league it won't happen.

Tbh I don't think we're actually that far off an entirely new league being formed. Seems like a lot of angst and mistrust is being built up towards the AFL over their mishandling of major points since 2012. It'd be interesting viewing for sure.

Since when does evenness of the competition mean the AFL is working. In fact having a competition that is too even is just as bad as having one that is too one sided. We need championship teams just as much as much as we need evenness.

Says he who follows one of the most successful clubs of the past decade or so...

Says he who follows one of the most successful clubs of the past decade or so...
If you think watching every side swap flags every 18 years is good for the game because the system was structured to produce an even result then you are crazy. The game would be destroyed and no one would watch. Watching greatness is one of the major reasons to watch sport (as long as it's done without an unfair advantage). We love sport because the heroes that dominate it whether they be individuals or teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha what? Saints got extremely close twice. And could have won twice. Saying they won't win one under Ross Lyon is stupid.

Wow, So since my first post in 2012, we now have since 1995
13 premiers
St Kilda and Melbourne, and Fremantle made the grand final
GWS have made prelim finals

Gold Coast are the only team that have not gotten close.

Since 1998 that number is

12 premiers
3 grand finalists
1 prelim

Since 2008
6 premiers
4 grand finalists
3 Prelims

The only teams not to make a prelim in the last 10 years are

Melbourne (2019 possibly)
Carlton (2020-2022)
Essendon (2018)
Gold Coast (Long time)
Brisbane (2022-)

That is 13/18 teams featuring in the last two weeks.

System still looks good to me.

Wow, So since my first post in 2012, we now have since 1995
13 premiers
St Kilda and Melbourne, and Fremantle made the grand final
GWS have made prelim finals

Gold Coast are the only team that have not gotten close.

Since 1998 that number is

12 premiers
3 grand finalists
1 prelim

Since 2008
6 premiers
4 grand finalists
3 Prelims

The only teams not to make a prelim in the last 10 years are

Melbourne (2019 possibly)
Carlton (2020-2022)
Essendon (2018)
Gold Coast (Long time)
Brisbane (2022-)

That is 13/18 teams featuring in the last two weeks.

System still looks good to me.
interesting stat there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back