Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Remove this Banner Ad

R16 2012: Leading (until then winless) GC by 10 points with 34sec to go. Lost after the siren thanks to Karmichael Hunt
R18 2012: Leading Carlton by 2 points with a minute left. Brock McLean kicks to a one on one, clears both of them, goes through. We lose.

R17 2015: Leading by 3 points with a minute to go in an armwrestle against Freo. They kick a point. Houli kicks it in UP THE GUTS, picks out a Freo player who hits up D Mundy inside 50. He goes back and sinks us.
R2 2016: Leading Collingwood by 17 points with 5 minutes left. Concede 2 goals to let them back in. Ump pays deliberate after a clearing kick from our backline. Seconds left, they pump it in, Brodie Grundy roves it and kicks the match loser
R7 2017: Lead bulldogs by 5 goals. Lost the lead, draw back within a kick, Jayden Short gets pinged for the most ridiculous deliberate decision (until Dreamtime a few weeks later), lose.
R8 2017: Trail Freo by 5 goals at 3QT, come back, Bellis puts us up with 21sec to go. Freo haven’t kicked a goal all quarter. Ball goes back to the middle, Freo clear it, pick out David ******* Mundy again who sinks us after the siren
R9 2017: Lead GWS by 5 goals, still 25pts at 3QT. Let them back in, but debutant Shai Bolton kicks the sealer to put us 8pts up with a minute to go. Score review overturns it due to a faint fingernail by opposing debutant Harry Perryman (?) which I stress was right but **** me how stiff can you get. Giants go coast to coast on the kick in to get the lead for the first time all game and win.
These two did it for me. I wanted to shoot myself after the Gold Coast one. Was at the Carlton one aswell...

God damn where do I start about 2013...

Round 2 - lead Geelong by 6 goals at half time, Coming into the 20th minute we had looked to weather Geelongs early storm and lead by 26, only for the Cats to come again to cut the margin to 9 at 3/4 time. Defence was gallant forcing Geelong difficult shots, only for Bartel to stand up in the 29th minute and give us the 4 point loss.

Round 8 - the Selwood/Naitanui game. Had steadied to be out by 15 midway through the last, only to blow our last few chances and the Eagles to steal it at the death with a NicNat special

Round 9 - out by 5 goals midway through the last. Kerridge kicks 3 of the last 5 (and Jared ******* Petrenko another) to somehow steal the ass-iest win ever. Kerridge had already gone on a 3 goal spree in the 3rd to give the Crows a slight sniff as he answered 3 of our goals in a row (1 minute after Cunnington put us by 27, 1 minute after Ziebell returned the lead to 27, 5 minutes after Cunnington had got the lead out to 27 again all in a 10 minute span in the 3rd). This tops it for the most unlosable game

To top that run off, we then conceded 7 goals in the final quarter to lose to Brisbane by 12 in round 16, lost to Carlton by 1 in round 17 (although we were the coming back team in that game - just fell short), lost to Adelaide by 9 in round 20, and Hawthorn by 14 in round 22 (we had lost to the Hawks by 3 in round 5 too).

Every third week had some awfully close loss or some golden opportunity missed

There's been a few memorable ones for us against Sydney.
Last year's 1 point loss where Rohan marked it in the goal square.
Another game a few years back Dempsey marked the ball around 50 when we were less than a goal down I think but he didn't know that time was about to run out and so moved to play on and the siren went. The worst part was he had barely taken a step so didn't even get a kick off. A second later to move and he would at least have had a set shot.

Essendon losing to Sydney by giving up three goals in a minute for whatever it was last year was pretty funny.

But then yeah, North have done it waaaaay too many times to pot anyone else.
Best example in recent years, comically bad by essendon, (didn't someone go through every detail that essendon did wrong extensively the following day on a footy show? almost looked scripted. I came here to write about said game, missed out on those likes. ;)

West Coast 2006 and that 2005 final made me really mad.

That Brisbane game was just funny.
2005 SF and 2013 PF for me. I found the 06 west coast game funny too. By that stage I found all Geelong football games funny.

Which games have your team just blown through sheer stupidity and bad skill errors? From a Cats perspective Sydney 2005 and West Coast 2006 spring to mind. I'm not just talking big leads I'm talking choke jobs and turnovers etc.
Oh, 1980s/90s Geelong craps all over the noughties team for that.

This is before my time, but:
Last week of the 1987 season. Win and we're in the finals, lose and we're out. Barry Stoneham kicks the goal that puts us nine points up at home, with ninety seconds to go... then this happens.

(Did I mention that we did have a six-goal lead?)

The Crows are masters at this. I guess the second showdown in 2013 is the most famous one for us. 4 goals up with 5 minutes remaining. Johnston put it out ok n the full when Danger was free, Monfries defied physics and then Wingard had the final say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back