Analysis Speculation best team in 2016: List & depth analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Weller is a thoroughbred. The type that rises to the level. I'm not sure if you remember his debut at Subi where he had a couple of nice runs and delivered a lovely ball in which was marked and converted by Griffin from memory.

Some players find the lower skill level of the WAFL more suited while others seem to thrive when it gets faster and more precise. I have Weller firmly in the latter category. The thing to watch is his kicking action and how he directs the ball. His action is effortless and he kicks a flat hard ball, something a few of the old stagers have problems with and aren't going to learn now.

I have also seen enough to suggest he has good vision, chooses smart options and weights the ball well which is something the best kicks do, Hill is a master.
The other thing I've notice which I really like is how hard he goes at a contest. Its easy to write him down as a classy outside player but he doesn't take a backward step which bodes well.

If you have the fundamentals the rest is hard work.

But thats just my opinion although everything thats come out of the official club channels suggests he is very highly rated internally. Plenty of water to go under the bridge yet but I firmly believe he and Blakely are 2 of the best kids to have walked in the door for a while along with Alex Pearce.

I haven't really seen enough of Langdon to give an opinion although I think he's at least AFL quality I also really like the look of Ethan Hughes and Brady Grey and all evidence suggest we got a few more good ones in this year.

Im not having a go because I really respect your opinion. But, Im wondering how much you watched Weller play for Peel last year. In all seriousness in the games I saw I kept expecting his kicking to be outstanding, but that never eventuated in any of the ten+ games I saw. His kcking was actually really loopy and slighly disappointing for a player with his reputation at the time of drafting. Granted I still think he will be an excelltent player for us (and I have in my bet 22 for 2016), but of Blakely, Langdon and Weller I think Weller turned the ball over the most in season 2015 by a considerable margin.

Im not having a go because I really respect your opinion. But, Im wondering how much you watched Weller play for Peel last year. In all seriousness in the games I saw I kept expecting his kicking to be outstanding, but that never eventuated in any of the ten+ games I saw. His kcking was actually really loopy and slighly disappointing for a player with his reputation at the time of drafting. Granted I still think he will be an excelltent player for us (and I have in my bet 22 for 2016), but of Blakely, Langdon and Weller I think Weller turned the ball over the most in season 2015 by a considerable margin.
I didn't see a lot of Peel last year so I can understand why others might think differently. I'm just going on what I've seen at training and his U18 highlights. I suppose its possible he had trouble getting used to a different ball. He seemed to kick it well when he played in the big time. Time will tell I guess, certainly he seems to have all the tools. I might have gone a bit early on him but I'll be surprised and disappointed if he turns out a turnover merchant.

I went to quite a few peel games this season and each time was waiting to see the Weller that I have read so much about on this thread and was disappointed each time. Don't get me wrong, the kid can play but I just don't think all raps on him so far are warranted. Maybe in time he will live up to all the hype...if the modeling world doesn't steal him away from is first.

I went to quite a few peel games this season and each time was waiting to see the Weller that I have read so much about on this thread and was disappointed each time. Don't get me wrong, the kid can play but I just don't think all raps on him so far are warranted. Maybe in time he will live up to all the hype...if the modeling world doesn't steal him away from is first.
I think because you read so much about him, expectation is higher.

its funny because the abiding memory of one of the games I did get to (a freezing cold, raining slog-fest at Freo Oval) is Weller contesting a ground-ball on the wing against 2 souths players and winning out through sheer effort, better judgement and quicker reflexes. It really heartened me as it reinforced that he's not shy about getting his hands dirty and doing the hard stuff. I wasn't a bit worried about the other parts of his game involving skill.
Going to be an interesting year seeing how he comes along.

Came across this today.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/e44d81dff99a45ec194420dcc6477081

It contained very little that was surprising. The most interesting decision being to leave out the second ruck, thus freeing a HF slot for Bennell. If we are going to be that anemic with changes I would think that Suban is the one dropped and Griff retained. In any case there is little there that we have not seen before.
In general I am a bit deflated by our off season. I wanted to see more courage at the trade table and I was hoping that we would loose some of the "ho hum" middle of the road players for improved picks or good players. There was just not enough ruthlessness for mine. The reason I bring this up is because there is little to change between the team that lost to Hawthorne and what we are all discussing here.
We find ourselves in the same place as last year. A readily selected core. and then 3-4 positions that are ostensibly covered by lots of hope (lets talk about them kids) , some back-able middling players (they won't loose you a game but they won't win one either) and a coach who plays not to loose (not the sames as playing to win). I just don't see much shaking the status quo of last season.
I can see that this year is a bet that the improvement provided by Bennell will overcome the loss of MAcPharlin and the slowing Pav. To me it looks like stagnation unless there are some younger players who step up. We know there is potential but will they be able to realise it.

Came across this today.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/e44d81dff99a45ec194420dcc6477081

It contained very little that was surprising. The most interesting decision being to leave out the second ruck, thus freeing a HF slot for Bennell. If we are going to be that anemic with changes I would think that Suban is the one dropped and Griff retained. In any case there is little there that we have not seen before.
In general I am a bit deflated by our off season. I wanted to see more courage at the trade table and I was hoping that we would loose some of the "ho hum" middle of the road players for improved picks or good players. There was just not enough ruthlessness for mine. The reason I bring this up is because there is little to change between the team that lost to Hawthorne and what we are all discussing here.
We find ourselves in the same place as last year. A readily selected core. and then 3-4 positions that are ostensibly covered by lots of hope (lets talk about them kids) , some back-able middling players (they won't loose you a game but they won't win one either) and a coach who plays not to loose (not the sames as playing to win). I just don't see much shaking the status quo of last season.
I can see that this year is a bet that the improvement provided by Bennell will overcome the loss of MAcPharlin and the slowing Pav. To me it looks like stagnation unless there are some younger players who step up. We know there is potential but will they be able to realise it.

Thanks for the link. I've pasted their team below:

Fremantle’s best 22

B: Lee Spurr, Zac Dawson, Garrick Ibbotson

HB: Stephen Hill, Michael Johnson, Cameron Sutcliffe

C: Nick Suban, David Mundy, Danyle Pearce

HF: Matt Taberner, Chris Mayne, Harley Bennell

F: Hayden Ballantyne, Matthew Pavlich, Michael Walters

FOLL: Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, Lachie Neale

I/C: Hayden Crozier, Michael Barlow, Thomas Sheridan, Alex Pearce

EMERGENCIES: Tendai Mzungu, Lachlan Weller, Matt de Boer

OTHERS: Michael Apeness, Harley Balic, Connor Blakely, Zachary Clarke, Samuel Collins, Brady Grey, Jonathan Griffin, Jack Hannath, Ethan Hughes, Ed Langdon, Clancee Pearce, Alex Silvagni, Darcy Tucker, Shane Yarran

ROOKIES: Joshua Deluca-Cardillo, Anthony Morabito, Ryan Nyhuis, Tanner Smith, Matthew Uebergang, Sean Hurley

I can't agree with your disappointment though. Our stability will help us get to the final four again. Some tweaking, and a bit of luck in the finals will make the difference from the last few seasons. Mzungu, de Boer, C. Pearce were all regulars in the firsts in 2015. And with only one ruck, that makes for a significant change.

And this bullshit about a coach playing not to lose (note: loose means something quite different) instead of playing to win. That's loser talk. That's for coaches who tank so they can get good draft picks.

Yes Pav may go backwards. I wouldn't bet on it though. McPharlin is gone, but Pearce or one of the mature age recruits can stand up, and Sandilands will still be the biggest man in the league.
Meanwhile we only need a couple of fringe players to step above what they were able to contribute last year, and for natural improvement from some of the young guns: Fyfe, Sutcliffe, Walters, Neale, Sheridan, and we will be more dangerous. And then there are Bennell and Morabito.

I didn't see a lot of Peel last year so I can understand why others might think differently. I'm just going on what I've seen at training and his U18 highlights. I suppose its possible he had trouble getting used to a different ball. He seemed to kick it well when he played in the big time. Time will tell I guess, certainly he seems to have all the tools. I might have gone a bit early on him but I'll be surprised and disappointed if he turns out a turnover merchant.

No way. You're on the mark E. He does have elite skills. On top of that he's athletically blessed and most importantly has a football brain and elite vision. As you say, he's got all the tools, just needs the opportunity to show them.

Pav from our 2015 Year Book:-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What areas can improve to help the club reach another Grand Final?
"The growth and development of our middle tier players needs to continue, players aged between 21 and 26. We've had enormous growth in that department over the past three or four seasons. The players to emerge include Stephen Hill, Nat Fyfe, Cam Sutcliffe and Lee Spurr."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are 21 players that will fall into the age category of 21-26 in 2016 being:-

26 - deBoer, Clarke, Hill, Suban, C.Pearce
25 - Walters, Hannath, Fyfe, Morabito
24 - Hurley, Sutcliffe, Bennell
23 - Neale, Taberner, Sheridan
22 - Crozier, Smith, Hughes
21 - Apeness, A. Pearce, Grey

Who can improve and make significant impact in 2016?

The Long Shots
Clarke - needs to overcomes his injuries and be less flaky. Would make a huge impact IF there was a quantum leap from him.
Morabito - Coming from a long way back and can't be counted on as having an impact.
Hurley - development required and unlikely to figure for mine.
Hannath - lumbers too much for my liking to make impact where we need it most - up forward.
Smith - injuries early on but hasn't really shown anything since. Disposal is questionable.
Hughes - looks good this preseason but just an unknown quantity.

Imposters or Impactors
Bennell - not doubting his capabilities just his volatilities. We've banked on him.
A.Pearce - showed heaps and you'd back him in to improve in leaps and bounds.
Crozier & Grey - it's time. These types are going to be the key drivers for our overall improvement. Or not.
Sheridan - has become a regular but is he just another foot soldier in the making?
Taberner - while still young for a KP, improvement from here surely equates to regular games, goals and goal assists.
Apeness - High hopes for 'the beast' but is injury prone and seemed to struggle with the pace during last preseason's games. Couldn't clunk them.
Sutcliffe - I put him here as he had a better 2014 than 2015 so if he can recapture that at least, he can make a significant contribution.

Guns close to their ceilings
Fyfe - while a full season will be an improvement, it needs to come from others. Playing him forward would be great but I'm not counting on it.
Walters - had a really good season but I see any improvement as incremental.
Neale & Hill - 'A' Graders and more consistency will have impact but the upside for major improvement is from others in their age group.

Depth Players
Suban, deBoer and C.Pearce for me. If they're playing regularly, we're likely to not be showing improvement.

Hopefully the younger group of Weller, Langdon and Blakely can surprise and make their mark as well during 2016.

Last edited:
Pav from our 2015 Year Book:-
What areas can improve to help the club reach another Grand Final?
"The growth and development of our middle tier players needs to continue, players aged between 21 and 26. We've had enormous growth in that department over the past three or four seasons. The players to emerge include Stephen Hill, Nat Fyfe, Cam Sutcliffe and Lee Spurr."

There are 21 players that will fall into the age category of 21-26 in 2016 being:-

26 - deBoer, Clarke, Hill, Suban, C.Pearce
25 - Walters, Hannath, Fyfe, Morabito
24 - Hurley, Sutcliffe, Bennell
23 - Neale, Taberner, Sheridan
22 - Crozier, Smith, Hughes
21 - Apeness, A. Pearce, Grey

Who can improve and make significant impact in 2016?

The Long Shots
Clarke - needs to overcomes his injuries and be less flaky. Would make a huge impact IF there was a quantum leap from him.
Morabito - Coming from a long way back and can't be counted on as having an impact.
Hurley - development required and unlikely to figure for mine.
Hannath - lumbers too much for my liking to make impact where we need it most - up forward.
Smith - injuries early on but hasn't really shown anything since. Disposal is questionable.
Hughes - looks good this preseason but just an unknown quantity.

Imposters or Impactors
Bennell - not doubting his capabilities just his volatilities. We've banked on him.
A.Pearce - showed heaps and you'd back him in to improve in leaps and bounds.
Crozier & Grey - it's time. These types are going to be the key drivers for our overall improvement. Or not.
Sheridan - has become a regular but is he just another foot soldier in the making?
Taberner - while still young for a KP, improvement from here surely equates to regular games, goals and goal assists.
Apeness - High hopes for 'the beast' but is injury prone and seemed to struggle with the pace during last preseason's games. Couldn't clunk them.
Sutcliffe - I put him here as he had a better 2014 than 2015 so if he can recapture that at least, he can make a significant contribution.

Fyfe - while a full season will be an improvement, it needs to come from others. Playing him forward would be great but I'm not counting on it.
Walters - had a really good season but I see any improvement as incremental.
Neale & Hill - 'A' Graders and more consistency will have impact but the upside for major improvement is from others in their age group.

Depth Players
Suban, deBoer and C.Pearce for me. If they're playing regularly, we're likely to not be showing improvement.

Hopefully the younger group of Weller, Langdon and Blakely can surprise and make their mark as well during 2016.

I agree with almost all of this except I tend to think Hughes will continue to improve. He's coming from a long way back as his disposal needs to improve drastically but he's got most of the tools coming along nicely.

All else is spot on.

Hill is a gun who's nowhere near his ceiling IMO. Once Bennell comes in to terrorize the opposition taking the focus off Hilly the scope for improvement will be mindblowing. Adding Bennell to the team should have that synergistic effect
Depth Players

If Clancee plays regularly, having recaptured his long-licking, target-hitting, bone-crunching form of 2013, we'll be showing major improvement IMO. Was a massive loss to us in the 2013 GF.

If Clancee plays regularly, having recaptured his long-licking, target-hitting, bone-crunching form of 2013, we'll be showing major improvement IMO. Was a massive loss to us in the 2013 GF.
Our goals that originated from a kick in were pretty disappointing last season and Clancee could be a cog that can turn that around. We have quite a few transition weapons, plenty of run and carry, some terrific field disposers and some lethal small forwards alongs side the Big Pavlova. Clancee to Sutcliffe/Morabito/Sheridan, to Hill/Bennell/Weller, to Walters/Ballantyne/Yarran. I could listen to that all day long. That is just a really exciting set of dominos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back