Sponsorship and Pledges

Remove this Banner Ad

$50 is a lot of money, think what's made it good in past is that it been affordable for everyone. Think having it so high just makes it out of reach for a lot people.

Know people want more chance to win "prizes" but going by previous years only handful people only put their hand up for each function anyway..

Would making it cheaper make it more popular and be able sell more shares? If it was $15 or whatever, more people might be keen to purchase at least one?

Even though I'd normally buy shares at $50 just thinking of wider community in here.

As a newbie to this I didn't want to stir anything, but I would suggest actually treating it really like what you present it as - shares, or raffle tickets. I would make it $5 a share - but to aim $300-500 higher than the total for sponsorship.

That lets everyone get involved.

The extra cash goes to buying merchandise items from the club store. Those lucky enough to attend the events (or even by arrangement via the club/player) get the additional merch items signed by the sponsored player. At season-end, these additional items/prizes are auctioned using the shares.

This way....
1) everyone can afford $5 and a shot at a great prize, and to feel involved.
2) There's actually more 'prizes' than you start with as you create more during the process, and they're not just events only a portion can attend.
3) Those who want to put in more $ have the advantage over those paying less $ (which is only fair) have a greater chance at winning a unique Saints item - a BigFooty-backed, player-signed piece of Saints merch.

Now there's a little more admin involved in it than just collecting cash and sending it to Moorabbin, but I'd be happy to assist. That said, I'm on the other side of the world from most of you all so doing anything in person such as a live raffle would be a little difficult!

A couple jumpers signed by the player added to the pool is a nice idea. I agree there needs to be more incentive for interstate/overseas supporters to join in. Because they can't attend functions, games, golf days etc. what do they get as is? A signed picture frame?

As a newbie to this I didn't want to stir anything, but I would suggest actually treating it really like what you present it as - shares, or raffle tickets. I would make it $5 a share - but to aim $300-500 higher than the total for sponsorship.

That lets everyone get involved.

The extra cash goes to buying merchandise items from the club store. Those lucky enough to attend the events (or even by arrangement via the club/player) get the additional merch items signed by the sponsored player. At season-end, these additional items/prizes are auctioned using the shares.

This way....
1) everyone can afford $5 and a shot at a great prize, and to feel involved.
2) There's actually more 'prizes' than you start with as you create more during the process, and they're not just events only a portion can attend.
3) Those who want to put in more $ have the advantage over those paying less $ (which is only fair) have a greater chance at winning a unique Saints item - a BigFooty-backed, player-signed piece of Saints merch.

Now there's a little more admin involved in it than just collecting cash and sending it to Moorabbin, but I'd be happy to assist. That said, I'm on the other side of the world from most of you all so doing anything in person such as a live raffle would be a little difficult!

It's good idea mate, even if get some signed caps or something and then raffle those off... You'd think club be able to throw 5 or so caps in... But wouldn't hold breathe, probably best to try raise little extra as you say. They have denied that request before when I was organizing it for another site.

A couple jumpers signed by the player added to the pool is a nice idea. I agree there needs to be more incentive for interstate/overseas supporters to join in. Because they can't attend functions, games, golf days etc. what do they get as is? A signed picture frame?

I wasn't even thinking of it from an overseas/interstate point of view; I've my own membership for that... not that I really needed another bumper sticker or scarf!
I just think it's important to allow as many as possible the chance to participate, yet at the same time acknowledge that those putting down $100 are doing more than those putting in $5, yet for doing so they get a decent shot at a unique memento of their sponsoring year.

Similar to above I convinced one of my partner companies to stop auctioning rare items, and instead raffle them but sell lots in bunches. So yes it's still likely the item will go to the high-roller that laid out 3 grand on raffle tickets. But the chance remains that a kid who bought one ticket with their pocket money could win. Brings a little equality to things. And if nothing else, that pisses off Eddie.

It's good idea mate, even if get some signed caps or something and then raffle those off... You'd think club be able to throw 5 or so caps in... But wouldn't hold breathe, probably best to try raise little extra as you say. They have denied that request before when I was organizing it for another site.
Sometimes it's about asking the right person, my old man and I went to the membership ad filming at the beach last year where they were handing out hats, afterwards he went up to one of the organisers and asked for a few more as he was driving for a golf event in a few weeks time. He got the hats and they went to various VIPs and golfers including Phil Mickelson.

He never was able to track down the girl to pass on a proper thank-you.

I'm on board with the idea of getting stuff signed for the interstate/overseas supporters and happy to play a part in that, although I might ask them to chip in for postage if I wind up doing it personally. I'm a cheapskate like that.

As someone unfamiliar with your past experiences, and basically only having been on the board to talk Saints performances, what were the issues that occured previously? And what is the 'baggage' that's referenced with regard to this forum's contributors?

First two events I was lucky enough to be drawn for and have my name given tot he club for they promptly forgot I existed and had no record of my attendance, they followed this up with erroneously giving me HoF dinner invitations 3 days before the event. As they forgot me, when I did rock up, my lonely self, after Guide had to contact them to come down and give me a pass to get in, they then also proceeded to give me two tickets to everything, having obviously failed mathematics, given away my seat so there was no luncheon for me.

It was a marked improvement last year when I finally existed to them, and they did not have to chase up my tickets or my seat, though I did get stopped by Etihad security because a zipped up coat as she was cold means I obviously wasn't wearing a collared shirt with my dress pants./meetingoverzealousidiots

Anywho, I'm all for the extra merch idea on the proviso that this is from the club as opposed to an out of pocket expense, as for if we go the jumper route, any expense could come from any framing of said piece instead of purchase + frame.

Sometimes it's about asking the right person, my old man and I went to the membership ad filming at the beach last year where they were handing out hats, afterwards he went up to one of the organisers and asked for a few more as he was driving for a golf event in a few weeks time. He got the hats and they went to various VIPs and golfers including Phil Mickelson.

He never was able to track down the girl to pass on a proper thank-you.

I'm on board with the idea of getting stuff signed for the interstate/overseas supporters and happy to play a part in that, although I might ask them to chip in for postage if I wind up doing it personally. I'm a cheapskate like that.

Definently, and just make sure dont ask the corparate/sponsorship people cos it will get you nowhere and you'll be waiting 6months to get whats owed to you!

• Share cost
  • Player selection
  • What to do with excess funds (if any)
  • How to involve interstate/overseas sponsors (linked to previous)
What else needs to be settled?

And for the benefit of krk004 and any other newbies:

The St Kilda BigFooty board first sponsored Barry Brooks in 2007 and has been sponsoring players for the last four years: Nick Heyne 2010-2011, Tom Ledger 2012-2013. We have a coordinator, previously Look2Me4Guidance who did a fantastic job, now sammm and boydie, who runs the sponsorship and liaises with the club. We choose a player or whether to continue our sponsorship of the previous year's player and pledge shares, previously $25 a share.

With player sponsorship comes rewards including tickets to the best & fairest, a signed piece of memorabilia and whatnot. As soon as the club lets the coordinator know the details of an event, he/they post it on here and people nominate their availability or lack thereof. Spots to the event are then raffled off, one ticket per share, or simply filled if there are as many nominees as there are vacancies. It's generally considered good form to not nominate for an event if you've already attended one that year to help share it around (although it's common to voice availability as a back-up as it can be hard to get people on short notice sometimes or if something comes up for an attendee). Attendees also do a report to let the forum know what happened.

In short: We pick a player, pledge shares, pay for shares (important step), help the Saints and have the chance to go to cool stuff.

Over the years through player sponsorship on this board and another I've gone to the best & fairest, three season launches, 150th anniversary dinner, a St Kilda race day function and got a signed piece of Raph Clarke memorabilia.

Any questions?

As interstate member I got possibly as much enjoyment, as those local Saints members, with involvement in this sponsorship. A way to further support the club with like minded supporters, who all have the club and its best interests at heart.

Like that we traditionally support a young guy on the way up. A great thing to continue.

The write ups after each event, were very well done by all. Everyone's personal perspective was invaluable and gave you a first hand recount, that is so much better than anything you read in the popular media. To be honest, I don't need merchandise, raffles, but appreciate that others do.

From L2MFG and others accounts it is clear that the club didn't handle all events perfectly. After reading through the corporate hospitality packages this week (as posted by Kildonan) they will have many more chances to improve. I have read comments on here about withdrawing support, this chest beating may make some feel better, but I remember Fitzroy well, as had close relations who were players and presidents there and the clubs closing (merging) gutted them. I would wish that on no one, let alone our beloved Saints.

Thanks to Sammm and Boydie for taking on the job of coordinating this. Well done guys. Very much appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From L2MFG and others accounts it is clear that the club didn't handle all events perfectly. After reading through the corporate hospitality packages this week (as posted by Kildonan) they will have many more chances to improve. I have read comments on here about withdrawing support, this chest beating may make some feel better, but I remember Fitzroy well, as had close relations who were players and presidents there and the clubs closing (merging) gutted them. I would wish that on no one, let alone our beloved Saints.

People's stance on withdrawing sponsorship has nothing to do with chest beating, and it isn't a decision that comes lightly. But at the end of the day if the club doesn't want to come to the party and resolve the major issues what other option is there. Been so many issues all year and they don't want to do thing about fixing them.

For a club that cries out that we need money, they don't exactly do very good job at keeping the sponsors they have, people that are willing to pay every single year.

The price of sponsorship a player isn't exactly cheap, you want to feel wanted and not used at the end of the day. Something club hasn't worked out yet.

People's stance on withdrawing sponsorship has nothing to do with chest beating, and it isn't a decision that comes lightly. But at the end of the day if the club doesn't want to come to the party and resolve the major issues what other option is there. Been so many issues all year and they don't want to do thing about fixing them.

For a club that cries out that we need money, they don't exactly do very good job at keeping the sponsors they have, people that are willing to pay every single year.

The price of sponsorship a player isn't exactly cheap, you want to feel wanted and not used at the end of the day. Something club hasn't worked out yet.

Thunda the club clearly does want to resolve this and make the experience better for all members of the supporting syndicate. They spoke with L2MFG and another BF member from here, several times on the issues and problems that had been experienced in the past. Two different senior staff members from the Saints followed this up, on a number of occasions and then had L2MFG to Seaford to go over all of this again with him.

The club clearly want to improve and to address all concerns. e.g. To address one of L2MFG's concerns that as we have rotating members attending events, the attending BF syndicate member can be overlooked, by both the club and the player we sponsor. To that end the club is proposing to nominate a player with a social personality, who would be made aware of our group sponsorship and who would be a better fit for our group.

I think the club has stepped up, listened to the problems and genuinely wants to address them. You can either accept that and join the sponsor group, or get off the pot and not be involved. If you have problems with sponsorship, simply don't join. Others will step up and take the sponsorship and you can happily move on to another area of concern, that the club is letting you down with.

Thunda the club clearly does want to resolve this and make the experience better for all members of the supporting syndicate. They spoke with L2MFG and another BF member from here, several times on the issues and problems that had been experienced in the past. Two different senior staff members from the Saints followed this up, on a number of occasions and then had L2MFG to Seaford to go over all of this again with him.

The club clearly want to improve and to address all concerns. e.g. To address one of L2MFG's concerns that as we have rotating members attending events, the attending BF syndicate member can be overlooked, by both the club and the player we sponsor. To that end the club is proposing to nominate a player with a social personality, who would be made aware of our group sponsorship and who would be a better fit for our group.

I think the club has stepped up, listened to the problems and genuinely wants to address them. You can either accept that and join the sponsor group, or get off the pot and not be involved. If you have problems with sponsorship, simply don't join. Others will step up and take the sponsorship and you can happily move on to another area of concern, that the club is letting you down with.

Mate you have a crack at people saying they are just chest beating and hurting the club by not signing on as sponsors again. I was just pointing out that it's not that for few people that have posted their issues. A lot of issues some posters have nothing to do with BigFooty but it transforms into this sponsorship. It's good that club wants to sort out the BF sponsorship (at least that's one sponsorship saved), but don't go having crack at people when you don't know full story and what disgrace, shambles & rort it's been.

Mate you have a crack at people saying they are just chest beating and hurting the club by not signing on as sponsors again. I was just pointing out that it's not that for few people that have posted their issues. A lot of issues some posters have nothing to do with BigFooty but it transforms into this sponsorship. It's good that club wants to sort out the BF sponsorship (at least that's one sponsorship saved), but don't go having crack at people when you don't know full story and what disgrace, shambles & rort it's been.

Thunda, sounds like you see yourself as one of the chest beaters. Read what I just said, if you don't like the sponsorship, if you don't think the club deserves your money, well don't sponsor them then and hopefully others will step up instead. As to firing off without having the facts as to what the club is doing, I would suggest I was very very well informed, as to what they are doing with this.

Instead of complaining, plunge your money into supporting a player at Sandringham. They and Sandringham would appreciate it and it removes you from this syndicate, that is obviously such an ongoing drama for you.

Whoever the poor bugger is who is nominated may as well clean out his locker and pack his bags now ;)

True. But we do go for the long shot bets with sponsorship don't we?

If you were to pick a long shot player, who is personable, who would be at the top of your list Brian?

Some posters might recall my post a month or two ago about making a tax-deductable donation, with both me and the club claiming the tax relief on it.
I was essentially proposing a gift of $.* I contacted the club as suggested; no response.

In the end I just took one of their international memberships (which, to be fair, is a decent idea if not a little pricey for what it is) even though I probably see most Saints games on TV anyway.

*my accountant suggested making a charitable donation into a fund that the club normally contributes to, so doing so on their behalf. That allows them to keep some of the $ they would instead have paid. They are running at a loss, so they aren't paying a tax on profit anyway so for every $1 I pay to a charity on their behalf, they get to keep another $1 in the bank untaxed as it's offset by their operating losses.

The above said, it sounds like the club has been open to addressing concerns, and they wouldn't waste their time unless they meant it. I have noticed some decent improvements in the last 12 months - their hospitality brochure alone is a serious bit of work that deserves praise. And they are now doing a few of the little things that previously other clubs were.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back