Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to Dees v Saints next week.
A Clockwork Orange Eyes GIF

Must be horrible for the fans.

If you're losing games, but at least dying with your boots on and trying to take it to the opposition, at least it can be an exciting and entertaining watch.

If you're playing a dour defensive game style but actually winning.....well I guess a win's a win at least.

Saints fans have the worst of both worlds - playing a horrible ugly game style and STILL losing all the time.

19k in the house last night.
Can the Saints afford a North style bottom out rebuild to land the premium draft talent?
And is there actually enough time to even attempt it with Tassie on the horizon?
They won’t attract quality FA’s or quality trades so where to from here for Ross and his mates …

Must be horrible for the fans.

If you're losing games, but at least dying with your boots on and trying to take it to the opposition, at least it can be an exciting and entertaining watch.

If you're playing a dour defensive game style but actually winning.....well I guess a win's a win at least.

Saints fans have the worst of both worlds - playing a horrible ugly game style and STILL losing all the time.
True but everytime I start to feel sorry for Saints fans I head over to the Saints board and it’s like a cult over there. It’s literally everyone’s fault but Ross. If absolutely staggering how they can’t see that Ross is the charlatan he is and a blight on the game

19k in the house last night.
Can the Saints afford a North style bottom out rebuild to land the premium draft talent?
And is there actually enough time to even attempt it with Tassie on the horizon?
They won’t attract quality FA’s or quality trades so where to from here for Ross and his mates …

They won't need to. I feel like they'll fall from no mans land to the top end of bottom 4 fairly soon. They should be able to pick up some good kids. Hopefully anyway... They've made a mess of their first rounders in recent history

True but everytime I start to feel sorry for Saints fans I head over to the Saints board and it’s like a cult over there. It’s literally everyone’s fault but Ross. If absolutely staggering how they can’t see that Ross is the charlatan he is and a blight on the game

The president handed Ross the keys and he wasted no time bringing all his mates onboard.
This is Ross’ superannuation contract so he isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
For better or worse … this is it for the Saints going forward …

Parish, Durham and Draper I agree, the rest are questionable.

You gotta be taking the piss but assuming you’re not, Wright’s kicked more than 50 goals in a season, Jordan Ridley is a B&F winner and probably our best or second best player. Those two are not in any way questionable. Happy for any level headed saints fan or neutrals to weigh in on the rest but I would back every one on that list to have a better career than Dow when they finish up except maybe Reid if he can’t get over his injuries.

Dow isn’t the messiah you think he is, 73 career games as mostly a midfielder for 1 Brownlow vote says it all.

B&F winner Jordan Ridley is questionable but never played a game for the club Paddy Dow leaves a hole?

You're trolling right?

Dow would legitimately be fighting in and out of our North midfield.

Career 15 disposals 60% efficiency player, huge loss :$

They won't need to. I feel like they'll fall from no mans land to the top end of bottom 4 fairly soon. They should be able to pick up some good kids. Hopefully anyway... They've made a mess of their first rounders in recent history

They will add to the list of good kids they’ve already got. They don’t need to start again, just finish off the list.

Move on from Jones, Clark, Dow, Stocker/Webster/Byrnes type battlers, there’s probably 4-6 significant additions to come in for a best 22. All sides will always have room for 1 or 2 of the back flanker battlers, and a Higgins type, and maybe a Seb Ross type, no side is 22 stars, hence why I think they just need to cut down to the core of the 4-6 battlers.

With all the concessions in the draft these days that isn’t enough to hit the absolute elite quality.
Hawthorn are discovering this atm.
Tassie will only blow this all out even further …

Ross took 2 average lists to a gf.

He ain't the problem.
2009 Grand finals team had 2 genuine AFL quality rucks in Gardiner and King, a gun midfield with Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard, Mongtanga and Ball rotating through with a genuine gun tagger in Baker.

Forward line had a champion CHF in Riewoldt and one of the best small forwards of the past 20 years in Milnes, plus very handy forwards in Kosi and Schneider.

AA defenders in Dempster and Fisher.

Ross had a very talented list at his disposal.

Ross took 2 average lists to a gf.

He ain't the problem.

Average lists?

If I transferred Pav, peak Ballantyne and Walters and Chris Mayne as defensive forward who kicks 40 goals, into this team we’d be currently top of the ladder, and equal favourites for the flag with Sydney Let alone peak Mundy, Barlow, peak Fyfe and Luke McPharlin and Michael Johnson, and 211

Believe me, I know, I know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not just the saints, it’s Freo too. I watched 3 quarters of it and it was brutal. Minimal risk, kick it backwards/sideways, slow ball movement. It’s baffling that these coaches watch who have won flags recently (and how they’ve done it) and decide to implement shitty game plans like this. Even if you dgaf about supporter engagement, don’t you want to score more than 80 points consistently?

It’s an absolute disgrace that teams are taking this approach. It’s not only divisive amongst the fan base, it’s also proven to not be a viable approach to winning premierships.

Disgusting.
exactly,rather of won recent premierships/premiership and goin thru hard times/rebuild/restructure/getting flogged/eventually goin back up again, than remaining mediocre for an eternity and not even giving your club a shot at it,ever

It’s not just the saints, it’s Freo too. I watched 3 quarters of it and it was brutal. Minimal risk, kick it backwards/sideways, slow ball movement. It’s baffling that these coaches watch who have won flags recently (and how they’ve done it) and decide to implement shitty game plans like this. Even if you dgaf about supporter engagement, don’t you want to score more than 80 points consistently?

It’s an absolute disgrace that teams are taking this approach. It’s not only divisive amongst the fan base, it’s also proven to not be a viable approach to winning premierships.

Disgusting.
Not sure we were watching the same game. Freo went handball corridor as often as possible (probably too much). Issue is we were a bit shit at finishing it off. You don't generate 25+ shots on goal (and good ones too) by not attacking. Where we've gone slow is usually there's nothing on, either due to Ross's defensive set up, or lack of movement ahead of the ball (for clarity, yes lack of movement needs a lot of work).

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who know’s, but the blame to me, should be spread between players, coaches and recruiters.

Some of the players are not progressing, they have stalled in their development. Is it the players intestinal fortitude, positioning on the ground, harmony in the group or just plain over rating of the group.

Some players are playing to their strength’s. For example King is a lean lead and mark type player. he is at the moment thinking he can wrestle fullbacks.

Then we have some players who seem to be more interested in their hairdo.

Saints fans acting like Phillipou was this mega talent about to take the comp by storm. He's lucky he's not going to be delisted soon he's a huge draft bust. 4 disposals playing as a midfielder 🤣

Tonight you did...

Let's see who turns up when winter comes along...

Plenty from tonight won't come back this year...
Mate it's 4 degrees tonight
Cos they have a surplus of slow plodders.
Steele Ross Crouch

Probably could have kept Bytel and delisted Seb Ross.
Bytel wasn't up to it. He was turning into another slow inside mid that can't do much else.

Errr " made a mess" of recruiting??
Beg to differ, its been a red raw cluster **** for a decade or more.

The midfield is what kills us, we have lacked stars in their since Hayes, Goddard, Dal Santo.

Marshall right now is our best midfielder and he is our ruckman.

The St Kilda side from the start of year had flair and confidence, now its boring and slow, I think all out attack would lead to blow outs against us but would be better in the long run.

Disgusting.
Mmmmm Not sure you arent just jumping into the narrative about Freo like everyone non-freo. As a Freo supporter I clearly saw some movement that I thought was much more aggressive than previous games and if we kicked accurately I think there would be much more postive talk around our ball movement as we would have been close to everyones obsession with 100 point games of ping pong.

Avg games played is starting to grow with the group and we have the installation of defensive structres and now showing "intermittent" signs of moving ball quicker as our young forwards get fitter and stronger ala Treacy, with Amiss still coming which is what has delayed it clearly. They can manager the high transition footy now - if we can snag a quick, goal kicking half forward the movement will improve again.

Freo arent always pretty to watch - even Freo supporters know that, but anyone who watches Freo week to week can see exactly where its going and the ball movement is the step currently being procatviely worked on.

Im confident this side sitting 9th will suprise a few people over next 18 months with some pretty good footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back