Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

No they wouldn't. The things that are pissing fans off are not bad writing or scripting, it's a perceived disrespect of the source material. Saw it twice in cinemas and to a person, everyone laughed when Luke threw the saber over his shoulder. It both made a point about where Luke's character is at and dialef down the over earnest nature of the moment.

Milking the alien tit might have raised some eyebrows, I'll pay that one :p

No, the bad writing is definitely what's pissing a lot of people off.

Having a film where the central plot is a ship running out of fuel being slowly chased by a Star Destroyer with a contrived side plot that added nothing to the plot (argue what you want around character development, I'm purely talking plot) and another side plot that was controversial at best and horrible at worst (I err towards not minding it but can see why it was controversial) is not a well crafted film.

You're confusing technical ability with creative ability, and making it at a career, which comes down to application, falling in with the right people (absolutely imperative in music, and to some extent, film) and plain old luck.

I can name half a dozen people right now I know personally that could jump on stage and nail a Foo Fighters set piss easy, and have time for that 3 minute solo, because they play just as well, if not better.

There is a creative element to fight choreography, and what you describe re: application and luck surely come into play when reaching the highest levels of film production just as they would with music. Very apt comparison I would have thought.

If that isn't the case, I'd be sending that demo reel of yours that you posted earlier to Lucasfilm, surely with your obvious level of technical ability and know-how you're a shoe-in for a gig on ep 9. Let us know how you go.

Canto Bight, everythyng Rose says, Holdo's whole arc, the convoluted space chase, Rey not being challenged and overcoming them.

Nah there's plenty of bad writing in TLJ.

Yeah, critics worldwide don't have a clue. Star Wars fans on the internet are the guardians of good writing :rolleyes: Oh, wait, they took envelopes of cash to say it was good.

If the story had leaked, ordinary people would have said 'space battles, lightsaber fights, Force training, all check'. Some seriously deranged fans probably would have smashed their computer screens and then set out to ruin lives. But that's Star Wars fans, sadly.

Yeah, critics worldwide don't have a clue. Star Wars fans on the internet are the guardians of good writing :rolleyes: Oh, wait, they took envelopes of cash to say it was good.

If the story had leaked, ordinary people would have said 'space battles, lightsaber fights, Force training, all check'. Some seriously deranged fans probably would have smashed their computer screens and then set out to ruin lives. But that's Star Wars fans, sadly.
lol @ using an appeal to authority and amateur psychoanalysis to feel secure in an opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the central plot is a ship running out of fuel being slowly chased by a Star Destroyer

Are you sure the plot is not that the Empire is winning the war against the rebels? And that the slow ship race is merely a setting? And that it's not the entirety of the plot anyway? And that this film is great?

Are you sure the plot is not that the Empire is winning the war against the rebels? And that the slow ship race is merely a setting? And that it's not the entirety of the plot anyway? And that this film is great?

Yeah I'm sure.

Are you sure you didn't walk into a cinema showing Empire Strikes Back though? There is no Empire/Rebels in this film. The entire premise of the film is the Resistance trying to escape the First Order, from leaving D'Qar to finally escaping in the Falcon on Crait.

Yeah I'm sure.

Are you sure you didn't walk into a cinema showing Empire Strikes Back though? There is no Empire/Rebels in this film. The entire premise of the film is the Resistance trying to escape the First Order, from leaving D'Qar to finally escaping in the Falcon on Crait.

My mistake renders my opinion invalid. You know what I mean.

Anyway I think you don't quite grasp the true meaning of a plot.

Also this movie is ******* awesome 10/10

My mistake renders my opinion invalid. You know what I mean.

Anyway I think you don't quite grasp the true meaning of a plot.

Also this movie is ******* awesome 10/10

I don't think you do if you think the plot is 'the Empire winning the war against the Rebels' when there's literally one scrappy battle at the end where the First Order doesn't even come out as clear victors (Luke mocking Kylo, the uplifting hope of the Jedi continuing with Rey, the Rebellion being reborn etc.). If anything TFA conveyed a greater sense of the First Order 'winning the war' by wiping out the Republic.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I don't think you do if you think the plot is 'the Empire winning the war against the Rebels' when there's literally one scrappy battle at the end where the First Order doesn't even come out as clear victors (Luke mocking Kylo, the uplifting hope of the Jedi continuing with Rey, the Rebellion being reborn etc.). If anything TFA conveyed a greater sense of the First Order 'winning the war' by wiping out the Republic.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You sound like you walked out with 30 mins to go. And also didn't read my whole post.

I'm not boiling down the plot to just the war, as you are boiling it down to an airship race.

You sound like you walked out with 30 mins to go. And also didn't read my whole post.

I'm not boiling down the plot to just the war, as you are boiling it down to an airship race.

How do I sound like that when I literally just summed up the ending of the film?

I'm surprised you need the concept of a plot spelled out to you, but the Resistance ships running away from the First Order are the entire basis of the plot of the film. Rey training with Luke = ends because she has to confront Ren and save her friends that he's pursuing; Finn and Rose go to Canto Bight? They do so to get codes to break into Snoke's ship to disable the tracker to allow the Resistance ship to escape (eurgh); Poe clashing with Holdo? Because they have differing ideas on how to get away from the First Order who are pursuing them.

Do ya.. sense a common theme in all those plot threads?

How do I sound like that when I literally just summed up the ending of the film?

I'm surprised you need the concept of a plot spelled out to you, but the Resistance ships running away from the First Order are the entire basis of the plot of the film. Rey training with Luke = ends because she has to confront Ren and save her friends that he's pursuing; Finn and Rose go to Canto Bight? They do so to get codes to break into Snoke's ship to disable the tracker to allow the Resistance ship to escape (eurgh); Poe clashing with Holdo? Because they have differing ideas on how to get away from the First Order who are pursuing them.

Do ya.. sense a common theme in all those plot threads?

I'd agree if this was a stand alone film. Cos then, yeah, we have exactly what you've pointed out and nothing more. But we have another film coming which will, at a guess, be a continuation of this. Maybe just maybe. (seriously though, interesting to think about when their is a guaranteed sequel and no need to wrap everything up all nicely and neat.)

I'm sure I don't need to list the themes that have been covered over the first two films, which I consider to be the plot. The relationship between Rey and Ren the most intriguing to me if I have to mention one.

None of this is new and has been discussed 100 times.

Why are you still here then? Cos you're the star of my new reality show ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back