Team Mgmt. Starting 22 round 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on the bit I can get from the HS article preview, and the last injury update we got for the pre-season, the ones who aren't fit seem to be:
  1. Heppell (unfused growth plate)
  2. Daniher (groin)
  3. Fantasia (hip)
  4. Shiel ? - Listed in the Herald Sun article, but we were never told he was having surgery for anything...
  5. Hurley (shoulder reconstruction)
  6. Gleeson (ankle arthroscopy)
  7. Guelfi (lateral meniscus)
  8. Zaharakis (syndesmosis)
  9. Mosquito (hamstring)
  10. Gown (foot stress fracture)
  11. Stewart (groin)
  12. Mutch (fractured knee cap)
  13. Smith (knee) - I thought he was going to be ready for full training last we heard, but who knows?
  14. Draper (ACL)
  15. Johnson (ACL)
I dunno who the other 8 would be. There are some that seem to be constantly managing injuries that may have had something done, but you'd think they'd be listed in the headline alongside Heppell, Daniher, Fantasia, Shiel, Hurley if they were noteworthy. So probably not Hooker for example.

Not sure how they're defining fully fit, but there may be some older players or some draftees on lighter training loads just coz that they're counting as well..? :shrug:
Maybe those 23 fully fit players didn't include new players. That would just about account for the remaining 8. If so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Francis Hurley Redman
McKenna Ambrose Saad
Heppell Hibberd Cutler
Stringer Daniher Smith
Fantasia Hooker Tipungwuti
Bellchambers Shiel Merrett
McKernan McGrath Parish Langford

Last spot up for grabs between Laverde, Langford, Begley, Clarke or Ham. Will more than likely go to Zaharakis though. Can’t get by on his name alone though anymore, has to show something or he’s looking at VFL time.
Heppell to rotate back or forward at times to reduce his workload. More onball time for McGrath and Parish.

Gleeson?

May miss due to injury.

Zakka & Hooker now unlikely for round 1, and Gleeson some sort of foot issue so right now I'd have;-

Francis Ambrose McKenna
Redman Hurley Saad
Merrett Shiel McGrath
Townsend Laverde Smith
Stringer Daniher Tippa

Bellcho Heppell Hibberd

Bench from: Parish Cutler McKernan Fantasia/Snelling

Not sure on Fantasia - still has some sort of injury will be nursed you'd think so may not play round 1 either - if he's not right then maybe Snelling plays.

Last edited:
Zakka & Hooker now unlikely for round 1, and Gleeson some sort of foot issue so right now I'd have;-

Francis Ambrose McKenna
Redman Hurley Saad
Merrett Shiel McGrath
Townsend Laverde Smith
Stringer Daniher Tippa

Bellcho Heppell Hibberd

Not sure on Fantasia - still has some sort of injury will be nursed you'd think so may not play round 1 either - if he's not right then maybe Snelling plays.
You'd play Laverde before McKernan? That's scandalous.

You'd play Laverde before McKernan? That's scandalous.

I would - simply for structure. I think Smack is more suited at full forward or in the ruck, where as Laverde provides more mobility at CHF.
Depending on Joe's body/form Smack may well be our starting full forward anyway...

If Gleeson and Hooker aren't playing round 1 then we just have to play Ridley

Otherwise when will he ever get his chance

Woosha was saying how super talented he was only a week ago. Pick him please

I would - simply for structure. I think Smack is more suited at full forward or in the ruck, where as Laverde provides more mobility at CHF.
Depending on Joe's body/form Smack may well be our starting full forward anyway...
I agree with the importance of structure but I'd have Daniher at half forward. He loves to turn and go and has the dukes to link up. Hooker is the key forward. Height, strength and strong hands. McKernan's mobility and marking at HF would be my preference. Both Hooker and McKernan would deliver more goals than Laverde currently.

Given the aging cattle though, Laverde should be a good option moving forward if he develops finally. I'd have him competing with Langford, Begley and Townsend. Of those, I'd currently prefer Townsend.

Francis Ambrose McKenna
Redman Hurley Saad
Merrett Shiel McGrath
Townsend Laverde Smith
Stringer Daniher Tippa

Bellcho Heppell Hibberd

Zakka, Hooker and Raz are not in doubt for R1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was what it was reffering to. Tom Bellchambers is turning 31, Phillips is turning 29. Not much between the two of them. If anything, Phillips will get games on the back of TBC injury history.

Anyways, for all the who ha, Bellchambers will be given first crack at the number 1 ruck position.
Age in numbers is irrelevant when what we’re talking about is cooked and not yet cooked

Francis Hooker Saad
McKenna Hurley Redman
McGrath Heppell Zaharakis
Stringer McKernan Smith
Fantasia Daniher Walla
T-Bell Shiel Zerrett
Parish Ambrose Hibberd Gleeson

Emg: Langford Guelfi Cutler

Hibberd and Langford was tough one, but some genuine size in our midfield is needed and Langford doesn't show the propensity to use his in the midfield.

So is this everyone's ideal starting 22 ignoring or factoring in any injuries/availabilities? I see a lot of Daniher, is there that much certainty of him being ready by Rd 1?

So is this everyone's ideal starting 22 ignoring or factoring in any injuries/availabilities? I see a lot of Daniher, is there that much certainty of him being ready by Rd 1?
I think it's more hope

Hope which has come from the club

The fact he's not going to see the sun before Xmas is almost getting to the point where you put a line through him for round 1

Our first game verses Freo at Marvel stadium is exactly 3 months away today...dont know about others but I'm a bit over the big bash already and footy cant come back round soon enough...!!!

Daniher won't be there round 1..

So after a bit of thought.

Round 1 team.

Note - Ambrose to follow Fyfe outside of stoppages.
* Thinking Laverde will have a big year.
* I think we need Hooker FWD until Daniher is back.

B: McKenna Hurley Saad
HB: Francis Z Thatcher Gleeson
Foll: BChambers Heppell Shiel
C: McGrath ZMerrett Ambrose
HF: Laverde Hooker Fantasia
F: Tippa McKernan Stringer
B: Smith Parish Cutler Redman

Emg : Langford, Zaka, Townsend, Guefli

Educated thoughts ???????

Round 1 team.

Probably play Clarke as the tagger and BZT out for Ambrose in defence. Langford in for Laverde too please

Round 1 team.

IMO:

Gleeson to BP
McGrath to HBF
McKenna to Wing - still not 100% convinced on his defensive side so close to goal
Clarke for Cutler on the bench

Remove this Banner Ad

Back