News Suns to ask for Pick 1 as a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree we have had a lot given and screwed it up.

However, if you have such an issue, what would have you considered fair for us to get in 2010?

I have no issue with what you got, it's in the past.

However in my opinion you have to make your own way now as painful as it is.

Fremantle were a basket case for the first decade as well, they received no special treatment.

St Kilda has played in 3 GF's in the best part of 50 years.

North and Adelaide haven't tasted a GF in over 20 years now, both of them have barely bottomed out in that period either.

I'd rather you got additional salary cap space in the form of COLA rather than continually compromising the draft year after year.

So clubs like North and St Kilda potentially miss out on the player they need this year to bail out a decade of GC's management's incompetence? Seems real fair.

Pick #2 is far too high a value. They've only done it this year because of the Rowell/Anderson scenario, which is even worse, it's pure corruption.

I guess the 17 x top 10 picks, 25 top 25 picks, pre-selection access, mini draft player access, increased salary cap, free agency priority access, a priority pick, the best player of the modern era handed to them in his prime and a new ******* stadium over the course of a 200 game period wasn't enough of a leg up for Tony Cochrane....

But hey, they don't want to seem desperate or like they have their hand out....

No mini draft access for us. Keep up.

No mini draft access for us. Keep up.

Sorry?

Where did Jack Martin and Jaeger O'Meara appear from? The tooth fairy?

I understand perfectly that GWS recieved the compo for those two players and that they were open to the pool, however, the AFL knew what they were doing.

In reality GC were the only club with the collateral and the ability to get those #1 picks.

It was a way of further recycling the talent pool through the expansion clubs.

I have no issue with what you got, it's in the past.

However in my opinion you have to make your own way now as painful as it is.

Fremantle were a basket case for the first decade as well, they received no special treatment.

St Kilda has played in 3 GF's in the best part of 50 years.

North and Adelaide haven't tasted a GF in over 20 years now, both of them have barely bottomed out in that period either.

I'd rather you got additional salary cap space in the form of COLA rather than continually compromising the draft year after year.

So clubs like North and St Kilda potentially miss out on the player they need this year to bail out a decade of GC's management's incompetence? Seems real fair.

Pick #2 is far too high a value. They've only done it this year because of the Rowell/Anderson scenario, which is even worse, it's pure corruption.
I agree, other teams have struggled, the only difference is, all those teams are based in football heartlands, and in St Kilda's case, history. We are threatened by people who consider us a waste because of our positioning in Australia and want us moved somewhere else ASAP. So I assume the AFL want to shut down that talkdown and get us competitive as quick as possible so that talk dies down.

Sorry?

Where did Jack Martin and Jaeger O'Meara appear from? The tooth fairy?

I understand perfectly that GWS recieved the compo for those two players and that they were open to the pool, however, the AFL knew what they were doing.

In reality GC were the only club with the collateral and the ability to get those #1 picks.

It was a way of further recycling the talent pool through the expansion clubs.
We traded top 5 picks for them. That’s not free access.

Looks like the suns will get priority access to their academy players without bids . That will get them two quality players this year and Alex Davies and Jack Johnstone next year
Ummm, the Suns might be asking for it, but has anything actually leaked out from AFL house that they will get this. They're asking for a lot, but as yet the only thing that's been speculated on has been the PP.

I agree we have had a lot given and screwed it up.

However, if you have such an issue, what would have you considered fair for us to get in 2010?
They need to look into why GWS has thrived onfield and why the suns haven’t when GWS is in a more non traditional market and make changes according

Regardless of the rights or wrongs, imo, it is a formality that GC will get Pick 1 and Pick 2.

Everything just lines up perfectly for the AFL to do it this year.
Another option to combat the homesickness and fast track their players is to take their reserves out of the neafl and into the VFL. By playing in Melbourne every second week could slow down the exodus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another option to combat the homesickness and fast track their players is to take their reserves out of the neafl and into the VFL. By playing in Melbourne every second week could slow down the exodus
Even better, just move the club to Melbourne and make them play all of their home games at Metricon. Perfect!

They need to look into why GWS has thrived onfield and why the suns haven’t when GWS is in a more non traditional market and make changes according

I think a big factor was the talent GWS had with their 17 year old pre-selections. Each club were allowed to pre-select 12 17 year old who were born in the first 4 months of the year.

Compared with our selections - a number of GWS came into the league as guns, and have had long lasting benefits - with Cameron winning the Coleman and TReloar and Shiel reaping numerous additional first round picks for them even now

GCS: Trent Mckenzie, Brandon Matera, Matt Shaw, Luke Russell, Tom Nicholls, Mav Weller, Josh Toy, Alex Keath (chose to play cricket instead), Jack Hutchins, Taylor Hine, Hayden Jolly, Piers Flanagan

GWS: Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Jack Hombsch, Tom Bugg, Nathan Wilson, Tom Golds, Sam Darley, Gerard Ugle, Simon Tunbridge (Went back to WA before season 1), Jaryd Harding, Josh Growden.

I don't know how these players were identified - but the Giants selections gave them a huge immediate leg up that we didn't really reap the benefits from. Apparently Brodie Smith, Ben Jacobs, Aaron Mullett or Jordan Murdoch were others that we passed over

Yeah,
Get the feeling it wasn't really a professional set up the first few years - definitely not prior to starting.
In saying that, not as if Brodie Smith, Ben Jacobs or Aaron Mullett would have made any difference.

Yeah,
Get the feeling it wasn't really a professional set up the first few years - definitely not prior to starting.
In saying that, not as if Brodie Smith, Ben Jacobs or Aaron Mullett would have made any difference.
Who you recruit has a big impact on how your other recruits develop. There's an interesting moment in the Guy McKenna episode of Sacked where he recounts begging Clayton for mature bodies and being handed yet another skinny teenage athlete.

Last edited:

Fantastic news for long suffering Suns fans.

Looks like you will be getting picks 1 and 2. Peter Ryan is a very reliable journo with great Intel.

This is a wonderful result and me as for AFL up North. Congrats Sunnies!!!

Fantastic news for long suffering Suns fans.

Looks like you will be getting picks 1 and 2. Peter Ryan is a very reliable journo with great Intel.

This is a wonderful result and me as for AFL up North. Congrats Sunnies!!!

Yes, unfortunately in this instance, Pete is usually right on the money....Not really fair to the other clubs with picks inside the Top 10, in losing so many points as a direct result of this short-sighted decision.

Yet more AFL chicanery....Gill is fast becoming VLAD mark 2....He & his side-kick Hocking, have done so much damage to the comp this year.

They need state league concessions and/or fringe/depth players from other clubs. (Hell... give them 5-10 state league concessions)

They NEED experience and leadership.

They DON'T NEED another likely homesick Victorian kid who'll ditch them in 2 years.

They need state league concessions and/or fringe/depth players from other clubs. (Hell... give them 5-10 state league concessions)

They DON'T NEED another likely homesick Victorian kid who'll ditch them in 2 years.
Their academy at least seems to be working, they may have up to 4 go in the draft this year. Stick with these kids and get in ready made experience

They had that last year, and most of the guys they brought in can barely crack the team, or generally aren’t AFL quality in a bottom side.

Most state league players look good in a very good side, where they’re 20 to 30 on list depth.

When they are asked to carry the team, they simply aren’t good enough.

You’re right they need experience and leadership.

They need top end talent and leaders in their prime to lead the team. They need Shannon Hurn and Trent Cotchin.

You now, REAL leaders.

Failing that, they need the best talent they can get. And that is usually found at the top end of the draft.

Then add some experience around the kids to show them how to train and behave off the field, and direct them on the field.

They had that last year, and most of the guys they brought in can barely crack the team, or generally aren’t AFL quality in a bottom side.

Most state league players look good in a very good side, where they’re 20 to 30 on list depth.

When they are asked to carry the team, they simply aren’t good enough.

You’re right they need experience and leadership.

They need top end talent and leaders in their prime to lead the team. They need Shannon Hurn and Trent Cotchin.

You now, REAL leaders.

Failing that, they need the best talent they can get. And that is usually found at the top end of the draft.

Then add some experience around the kids to show them how to train and behave off the field, and direct them on the field.

I’ve always said that top picks are great for regenerating a list as long as they are traded out for players.

I’ve always said that top picks are great for regenerating a list as long as they are traded out for players.
Mate, you find top end A grade mid willing to go to GC, let them know. I’m sure they’ll fly to Melbourne and pack the blokes bags for him.

Otherwise that’s a pointless trade and ONLY benefits the other team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back