Swan or Goddard

Goddard or Swan

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at all of those games, and I can tell you, Ling beat him, especially in that 2007 game. Torched him.

You're saying no one has ever touched Swan up when clearly they have.

I'm also not saying Swan has never had the better of Ling either. The 2006 game, 2007 PF, and 2008 game Linga was convincingly beaten.

Anyway this thread isn't about Ling. I only brought him up in relation to the comment that Swan has never been beaten.

Ling torched Swan in the 2007 prelim?

cameron ling: 7 kicks, 2 marks, 8 handballs, 1 tackle, 1 behind, 1 free kick for.
dane swan: 20 kicks, 8 marks, 5 handballs, 3 tackles.

I might also add that swans average that year was 23.8 disposals, so statistically he actually had a better than average game.

that is your definition of a torching? :eek:

Ling torched Swan in the 2007 prelim?

cameron ling: 7 kicks, 2 marks, 8 handballs, 1 tackle, 1 behind, 1 free kick for.
dane swan: 20 kicks, 8 marks, 5 handballs, 3 tackles.

I might also add that swans average that year was 23.8 disposals, so statistically he actually had a better than average game.

that is your definition of a torching? :eek:

i'm pretty sure he clearly stated that the 2007 PF was a game where swan beat 'linga' convincingly

I said Swan before when Goddard was severely overrated and fashionable, and I will still say Swan now

Swan may be a great player and the master of consistency, but players like Goddard can do more on their day. Swan will never be the best player in the comp. Perhaps top 10.

Swan may be a great player and the master of consistency, but players like Goddard can do more on their day. Swan will never be the best player in the comp. Perhaps top 10.

So racking up 18 touches in a qtr and kicking 3 goals is?

I picked Swan, very suprised at the poll result though :S

Have you seen much of Swan? Just because he is so consistent, doesn't mean he doesn't tear games apart. His only threat for best player in the competition right now is Scott Pendlebury, with the likes of Ablett, Goddard, Hodge and Riewoldt all having average years thus far. Though Judd's year is looking pretty good too.

Swan far more consistent, Goodard has his super weeks or a super month then goes absent for a month. Swan's work aruond stoppages and defensive efforts also out-do those of Goodard.

If my life depended on a game I'd take Goddard, he has been great in finals and played an incredible grand final last year.

However for 22 Home and Away games I'd take Swan, seems so consistent. Was a bit disappointed by him in the Grand Finals though.

I can't believe the poll results, nor what some people are writing. It's still comparing apples and oranges and I love the 'versatile' argument. Like what a few people have said. If collingwood needed swan in the backline or forward line who knows he could dominate. Has shown he could be a very damaging forward, knows where the goals are. But he is the best midfielder in the comp and cause if that reason why would you play him anywhere else. Goddard is a very very good player no doubt about it but swans immense consistency and 30+ touch games are taken for granted IMO . Swan v Judd, swan v ablett better match ups due to Purely midfielders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe the poll results, nor what some people are writing. It's still comparing apples and oranges and I love the 'versatile' argument. Like what a few people have said. If collingwood needed swan in the backline or forward line who knows he could dominate. Has shown he could be a very damaging forward, knows where the goals are. But he is the best midfielder in the comp and cause if that reason why would you play him anywhere else. Goddard is a very very good player no doubt about it but swans immense consistency and 30+ touch games are taken for granted IMO . Swan v Judd, swan v ablett better match ups due to Purely midfielders

This.

A "bad" game for Swan is now a 25-29 possession game and it goes to show how high the expectations are of him because of how good and consistant he is.

For example - Robbo on Kerr (who indeed had a great game) "He had 27 touches against Melbourne in Round 6, and 28 yesterday, including 16 contested, seven tackles, eight clearances in a game of intense pressure. Dominated the first half and his ability to read the ball, gather it, and dance through congestion a highlight." Had him in the top 10 things he liked. And was one of the bog for the eagles according to most.

Swan, Rnd 5 against Essendon, 24 possessions, 14 contested, 8 clearances, 7 tackles, 1 goal - doesn't even get in the bests.

Even I didn't have him in my bests due to the quality of the players playing that day, but it brings me back to my point that he is now so underrated when he doesn't get 30+ touches and when he is good in a game, he is one of the best I have ever watched.

When Goddard is good in a game, he is also one of the best I have ever watched.

The difference is, Swan will do it 17-18 times a season and I feel sorry for the people who don't rate him because if you watch him closely he does amazing things.

This.

A "bad" game for Swan is now a 25-29 possession game and it goes to show how high the expectations are of him because of how good and consistant he is.

For example - Robbo on Kerr (who indeed had a great game) "He had 27 touches against Melbourne in Round 6, and 28 yesterday, including 16 contested, seven tackles, eight clearances in a game of intense pressure. Dominated the first half and his ability to read the ball, gather it, and dance through congestion a highlight." Had him in the top 10 things he liked. And was one of the bog for the eagles according to most.

Swan, Rnd 5 against Essendon, 24 possessions, 14 contested, 8 clearances, 7 tackles, 1 goal - doesn't even get in the bests.

Even I didn't have him in my bests due to the quality of the players playing that day, but it brings me back to my point that he is now so underrated when he doesn't get 30+ touches and when he is good in a game, he is one of the best I have ever watched.

When Goddard is good in a game, he is also one of the best I have ever watched.

The difference is, Swan will do it 17-18 times a season and I feel sorry for the people who don't rate him because if you watch him closely he does amazing things.

If it was all about looking at stats rather than influence players have on a game your post would be valid. But everyone knows stats dont tell the whole story.

^^ Are you saying that if Swan played for WCE in Kerr's place last night and had those exact stats, Kerr's game would have still been more influencial?

Of coarse I know that stats don't always tell the whole story and I rarely use stats for arguments, but in this one I thought it was a pretty good use of them.

^^ Are you saying that if Swan played for WCE in Kerr's place last night and had those exact stats, Kerr's game would have still been more influencial?

Of coarse I know that stats don't always tell the whole story and I rarely use stats for arguments, but in this one I thought it was a pretty good use of them.

Yes thats what Im saying.

Swan was the best player in the comp in 2010......Goddard has and probably never will even win a club BnF.

What is Goddard's best??

The GF?

He wasn't even the best on ground for fecks sake.

Swan > Hayes > Goddard

Really who said that? Add to the fact hes playing in a team thats also struggling and with some very handy tags so far his numbers while not great havnt been bad.

Do you think he'll come top 20 in any of the league awards this year?

Back