Media Swans Talk in the Media 2022

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pridham confirms we've made no approaches. Richmond say he's staying - so Fox spend 10 minutes working out how Dusty can get to Sydney or GWS. Madness.

We have desperate need for some young defenders - but sure, let’s give up our first rounders for a 32 year old mid/fwd.

facepalm

We have desperate need for some young defenders - but sure, let’s give up our first rounders for a 32 year old mid/fwd.

facepalm

Yeah I’ll admit I was 80% on board for a while but I’m right off the last two weeks. Don’t want Dusty, at his age and price it would blow up worse than the Tippett deal (fwiw I liked Tippett).

That amount of money needs to be spent on a young, elite mid and/or an elite defender or forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leigh Montagna gave Heeney a pretty brutal serve on First Crack.

Said he hasn’t yet lived up to the hype - can be brilliant, but goes missing too often.

Harsh, but probably fair.

Listened to Footyology for the first time this year, didn't know Mark Fine left and Robert Shaw replaced him. Big downgrade, Shaw clearly doesn't know anything about the Swans players except for Buddy. And his take on the potential 50m call was terrible.

Then Connelly (who I generally like) let something slip which I think really just sums up why I have so much problem with the AFL media. Shaw said something stupid about "Well if it happened at the 17th minute mark of the second quarter between Fremantle and Gold Coast in front of four thousand people at Metricon, would the umpire have paid it?" and Connelly replied "Well I wouldn't be watching so I don't know."

That says a lot about how the AFL media view non-Victorian teams.

Listened to Footyology for the first time this year, didn't know Mark Fine left and Robert Shaw replaced him. Big downgrade, Shaw clearly doesn't know anything about the Swans players except for Buddy. And his take on the potential 50m call was terrible.

Then Connelly (who I generally like) let something slip which I think really just sums up why I have so much problem with the AFL media. Shaw said something stupid about "Well if it happened at the 17th minute mark of the second quarter between Fremantle and Gold Coast in front of four thousand people at Metricon, would the umpire have paid it?" and Connelly replied "Well I wouldn't be watching so I don't know."

That says a lot about how the AFL media view non-Victorian teams.
What a dumb and pointless comment from Shaw, if it had happened in our game at the 17th minute it would have been paid!
It was the fact that the siren blew literally the second the ump blew his whistle that caused the confusion and the reaction of a very young player to the elation of a hard fought victory.

30MAY22: Swans Daily Media/Multiple
Swans Daily:

Gerard & David King discuss Swans/Richmond controversy 28:45mins into the podcast

Last edited:

Said he hasn’t yet lived up to the hype - can be brilliant, but goes missing too often.

Sorry for the intrusion, but I think this is unfair from Montagna.

Heeney is forced to play a difficult forward role that relies on others feeding him the ball. Like almost all forwards, he is naturally going to be inconsistent playing this position.

If he was given the same opportunity as say Parker or Rowbottom around the ball, I'm certain we would quickly start seeing Heeney "live up to the hype".

Just my 2 cents.

Swans Daily:

Gerard & David King discuss Swans/Richmond controversy 28:45mins into the podcast

I wanted to strangle King when i listened to that this morning , he is a henry

Heeney is forced to play a difficult forward role that relies on others feeding him the ball. Like almost all forwards, he is naturally going to be inconsistent playing this position.

If he was given the same opportunity as say Parker or Rowbottom around the ball, I'm certain we would quickly start seeing Heeney "live up to the hype".

Just my 2 cents.
The other thing is he hasn't actually been playing much forward lately because we've been using him in defense and middle to claw back from our truly reprehensible starts:sickv1:

The other thing is he hasn't actually been playing much forward lately because we've been using him in defense and middle to claw back from our truly reprehensible starts:sickv1:

Yeah I didn't notice him at centre bounces and stoppages on Friday night, so I just assumed he was playing in that forward role again :thumbsu:

Just my 2 cents.

I think it's a reasonable call from Montagna but I also agree with you. Said elsewhere, but Heeney - and Mills to a lesser extent - are being thrown all over the ground as Mr Fix-It men when we need them, so they don't get as much visibility at times and therefore are blamed for 'going missing' when they're doing the job asked of them.

Always interesting to look back to see what transpired vs predictions.

I had no idea that Buddy was a defender in his junior years, nor that we were intending to take Podsiadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been saying the same thing for the last 4 years unfortunately. I love him but I don't think he will become the player we all want him to be despite having more natural talent than anyone bar Buddy in our team.

Been saying the same thing for the last 4 years unfortunately. I love him but I don't think he will become the player we all want him to be despite having more natural talent than anyone bar Buddy in our team.
Perhaps he’s our version of Cyril.

Doesn’t always change a game - but when he does …. wow.

Is a forward. When played there he is Cyril like. When played in the midfield he is like 75 other players.
Why?
He is probably the best mark for his size in the AFL.
He also marks above his size.
He also marks the unmarkable. They are remarkable!!
He is a one grab player.
He has an innate sense for where the goals are because most of his goals are kicked when he is not facing the goals.

So lets play him in the midfield.

Is a forward. When played there he is Cyril like. When played in the midfield he is like 75 other players.
Why?
He is probably the best mark for his size in the AFL.
He also marks above his size.
He also marks the unmarkable. They are remarkable!!
He is a one grab player.
He has an innate sense for where the goals are because most of his goals are kicked when he is not facing the goals.

So lets play him in the midfield.

Yep. He is an impossible match up in the forward line as he is too agile for the big defenders and way to strong overhead for the smaller defenders. Should always be played as a forward that sometimes ventures into the midfield.

Wow, I always thought it was the closest umpire who called the free. Stevic was far far away, why on earth is he making a call on that play?
It's not the first time an ump further afield has called for the free. The fact he called it doesn't really bother me. It just proves Chad would have had difficulty hearing the whistle and supports his argument he didn't hear it.

It's not the first time an ump further afield has called for the free. The fact he called it doesn't really bother me. It just proves Chad would have had difficulty hearing the whistle and supports his argument he didn't hear it.
I can't work out what the free kick was for despite how many times I've watched the replay. How does an umpire who was soooooooo far away decide they made the right call on a line call incident? It does bother me that someone so far away made such a marginal call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back