Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

yes! i might not agree with everything he says but i think he mostly talks sense
i've found myself making a point of watching the round so far on the afl website because of cornes, and i get the impression he doesn't take himself too seriously, either ... and i don't mind riley beveridge either, he and cornes are a good combination
certainly, of all the ex-players crowding into the media over the years, cornes is pretty much the most worthwhile ...
i don't see or hear much of matthew lloyd but i think he's another, like cornes, who shows no bias towards his former team ... nick riewoldt was the same, and i think he was a loss to the commentary landscape
and i'm even warming to nathan buckley, as much i wince at saying so
at least that lot don't seem to harp on their own careers, as the likes of brereton still do

There are numerous former players that provide worthwhile analysis (Davis is good, Buckley is good, Hodge is good) but Cornes is more entertaining than most. He's doesn't sit on the fence. He has opinions, sometimes provocative ones, but he backs them up and he cops it when he's wrong. I've never had anything to do with him but he seems like an impressive fellow with his discipline, hard work, and efforts for charity etc.

There are numerous former players that provide worthwhile analysis (Davis is good, Buckley is good, Hodge is good) but Cornes is more entertaining than most. He's doesn't sit on the fence. He has opinions, sometimes provocative ones, but he backs them up and he cops it when he's wrong. I've never had anything to do with him but he seems like an impressive fellow with his discipline, hard work, and efforts for charity etc.

Feels a bit wasted tucked away on Channel 9, wonder if Fox would try to poach him at some stage. Obviously has good working relationships with Bucks, King, etc. already.

Today I met a member of staff I have not encountered before: Hayley Falkiner aka Willis, our media manager https://www.linkedin.com/in/hayley-falkiner-19320517a?originalSubdomain=au. She's been with us 3 years but keeps a low profile behind the scenes and behind the camera.

It was a little bit disheartening to hear confirmed what I kinda knew already: players are briefed and prepared before every media contact. The media manager tries to anticipate all the questions they might be asked and prepares them to respond. She said when she was (previously) on the other side of the fence as a journo the job was try to ask them a question that was not anticipated and thereby break some news.

I find that the upshot of all this is that, when interacting with the players, while they are friendly there is also a sense of guardedness and wariness.

This is why I am increasingly falling in love with AFLW. The players and staff involved are so much more open and accessible and there's a freshness and lack of cynicism that is much more enjoyable. I guess that might not last but for now it's awesome.

Today I met a member of staff I have not encountered before: Hayley Falkiner aka Willis, our media manager https://www.linkedin.com/in/hayley-falkiner-19320517a?originalSubdomain=au. She's been with us 3 years but keeps a low profile behind the scenes and behind the camera.

It was a little bit disheartening to hear confirmed what I kinda knew already: players are briefed and prepared before every media contact. The media manager tries to anticipate all the questions they might be asked and prepares them to respond. She said when she was (previously) on the other side of the fence as a journo the job was try to ask them a question that was not anticipated and thereby break some news.

I find that the upshot of all this is that, when interacting with the players, while they are friendly there is also a sense of guardedness and wariness.

This is why I am increasingly falling in love with AFLW. The players and staff involved are so much more open and accessible and there's a freshness and lack of cynicism that is much more enjoyable. I guess that might not last but for now it's awesome.

No offence intended but.. isn't this a given? How is this surprising?

No offence intended but.. isn't this a given? How is this surprising?

It's not surprising (as I say I kinda knew already) but it's the extent of it, the professionalism of it, the absolutely integrated club-wide restraints on transparency and authenticity. It depresses me.

It's not surprising (as I say I kinda knew already) but it's the extent of it, the professionalism of it, the absolutely integrated club-wide restraints on transparency and authenticity. It depresses me.

That's why I like them going on radio and doing podcasts. Usually they sound less guarded from their responses & interactions.

Given the volume of his output it's incredible how few howlers Corner makes. The guy is a 24/7 hot take machine.

I don't mind Cornes at all. You can tell that he often leans into an opinion a lot more than he would were he not being paid for it (He's obviously gone the shock jock route with his takes on the game in order to build an audience) but he usually has pretty astute observations. Plus his piss take of Cotchin's game analysis for channel 7 was pretty damn funny.

I also really enjoy listening to Buckley & David King too.

Yeah I've actually started watching that lately too, especially because of Cornes.

Yeah for all the flak he cops he's actually pretty well natured about it.

Did you see his clip on The Footy Show taking the mick out of Cotchin? Thought that was fantastic.

Yeah Bucks has really surprised me too, used to hate him but find him super listenable to, particularly on SEN. I usually listen to the Monday and Friday shows as podcasts while running and Cornes with Bucks and even with King is great. King I'm still not a huge fan of but can at least tolerate in that format.

i don't really pay attention to any media apart from what ticky et al post here
i think i saw a reference to cornes and cotchin but i guess i really only properly tune in to swans stuff
and while i often find king grating, he at least seems to put some real effort into his analysis, it's not the usual footy crud
feel the same about buckley, didn't like him at all as a player or coach but seem to like him more and more in his media roles

i don't really pay attention to any media apart from what ticky et al post here
i think i saw a reference to cornes and cotchin but i guess i really only properly tune in to swans stuff
and while i often find king grating, he at least seems to put some real effort into his analysis, it's not the usual footy crud
feel the same about buckley, didn't like him at all as a player or coach but seem to like him more and more in his media roles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep Cornes is ok.....?
But remember when he was getting up Heeney for doing backflips off the rope swing into his dam during COVID?
The whole Swans team did a (terrible) COVID inspired skit paying him out.
Cornes is OK, not great - feel theres a bit too much love

Yep Cornes is ok.....?
But remember when he was getting up Heeney for doing backflips off the rope swing into his dam during COVID?

they were strange times ...

Yep Cornes is ok.....?

Holding a grudge against a pundit for saying something negative about one of our players 4 years ago is a bit much.

? He's not a pundit, he's a journo, how many of the journos have played footy? Weird take.
Like yours it’s an opinion , he thrives on gossip and rumour. So what he got Dimmer going to GC right - that’s one out how many rumours??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back