Game Day Sydney vs GWS pre season hit out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably are.

Given most of the coaches will come from Melbourne, and there are plenty of opportunities there, I suspect it is pretty rare for these candidates to want to up root their family to move to Sydney and take on a similar role that they already have or is likely to be available where they already are.

Just one of those things I guess.

I also think a head coach should have his team of coaches so if horse wants to blood every swan he can as a coach so be it, his arse on the line

Whilst it is a pre season, I think just dismissing it isn't a great thing. Mind you I'd rather get smacked by 94 points than 30 points as the latter would just mask over the issues

Yeah I prefer deservedly losing a preseason game by 94 than if GWS had eased off and won by only 30.

This gives a clearer idea of where the team is at and our deficiencies. Whilst giving us 3 weeks to work on things and another preseason game to try things out.

I don't think the club would have seen this performance coming and instead felt fairly optimistic during preseason training.

I don't think the club would have seen this performance coming and instead felt fairly optimistic during preseason training.
Judging by Kirks response at the presser they definitely didn't see this coming.

Buckle up lads, the weeks before round 1 are going to be nasty.

Judging by Kirks response at the presser they definitely didn't see this coming.

Buckle up lads, the weeks before round 1 are going to be nasty.

I don't know the answer.

I only got to see a few training sessions right at the start of year. But there seemed to be good intensity in the drills.

And you would think that after playing so much match sim against each other during preseason, the players would enjoy getting to compete against a different set of players.

I don't know the answer.

I only got to see a few training sessions right at the start of year. But there seemed to be good intensity in the drills.

And you would think that after playing so much match sim against each other during preseason, the players would enjoy getting to compete against a different set of players.

Perhaps it was just a perfect storm.

Lack of intensity due to it being a preseason match + lack of on-field leadership (no Rampe for first half, no Heeney, no Mills, no Buddy) + GWS being sharper from the get-go while we looked rusty meant they got off to a far better start + not enough experience across the ground to rein it in and stop the younger lads from spiralling + four leading goalkickers from last year all missing + lack of chemistry with each other, again probably because of all the newer faces.

I don't think it will be indicative of what we did over the summer, nor will it be indicative of how we'll perform in the season. I suspect it was just a perfectly-timed wake-up call that the season is around the corner so time to switch off from pre-season mode and enter the correct mindset.

Kirkie seemed stunned. I don't think anybody thought we would lose by nearly 100 points.

The problem was we had no structure. No set plays except bomb the ball long or slow play. We we being hammered in the clearances, murdered on the outside (mainly due to players not running defensively). We were being slaughtered in every aspect of the game by a far better, better drilled footy team. We had no forward set up and just bombed like we have for the last 3 years. Why would you bomb to a small forward line?

We played a zone, probably from 2017 or earlier and got spanked because we were loose on the zone. Zones are dead. The forward defensive wall is alive and they played it well. The players did not know how to play this old footy. The other thing is our disposal was a disgrace. Under 10's could and would do better. There were very few balls that actually hit the target

If we play like that our A grade will be playing, and losing, NEAFL next year.

On U27 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think further evidence that we weren't fully engaged was the amount of times we kicked it into the back of a player standing in front of us. I counted at least five occasions. That's just a simple lack of concentration, not quite paying attention to where you're kicking it or aiming it. That would not happen 99 times out of 100 in a proper match.

I think further evidence that we weren't fully engaged was the amount of times we kicked it into the back of a player standing in front of us. I counted at least five occasions. That's just a simple lack of concentration, not quite paying attention to where you're kicking it or aiming it. That would not happen 99 times out of 100 in a proper match.
Or it’s just garbage skills

your trying to come up with a hell of a lot excuses

they are professional athletes that some are playing for there careers and some a spot in the 22 , along with first time pulling on a Swans jumper

they played practice matches all the training during summer and now don’t want to play an actual game

give me a break

keeps going like this this and all the culture that was built will be gone and we will s**t for a decade

Or it’s just garbage skills

your trying to come up with a hell of a lot excuses

they are professional athletes that some are playing for there careers and some a spot in the 22 , along with first time pulling on a Swans jumper

they played practice matches all the training during summer and now don’t want to play an actual game

give me a break

keeps going like this this and all the culture that was built will be gone and we will s**t for a decade

Some of those things I listed are inexcusable. The lack of chemistry, the lack of leadership, the lack of goalscorers are all valid excuses.

The inability for any of the youngsters to pull their finger out and try and get the ship back on course, that is inexcusable. The inability to give 100% when there were spots up for grabs as you said, that is inexcusable. The garbage skills as a result of the lack of intensity, that is inexcusable.

Just because I'm giving reasons why we might've lost, doesn't mean those reasons are all excuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have kicked 8 goals or less 7 times in the last 2 seasons. That is a pattern.

Richmond kicked 8 goals or less 6 times in 2016. What’s your point?

Edit: Richmond kicked only 4 goals against Fremantle, yes FREMANTLE, in their opening practice match 2016. A dynasty is on our doorstep!

Last edited:
Isn't he our midfield coach along with Kennelly?

Why do we have two players who basically spent their entire careers in defence coaching our midfield?

And why do we have so many ex-Swans in our coaches box? McVeigh, Kennelly, Laidler, Kirk, Perris.. now Nick Smith is getting involved with the club again. Blakey's also practically a Swan now, been here 15 years. Four of those blokes literally came straight from under Horse's tutelage to now sitting alongside him, with no outside experience at the highest level in between.

Doesn't exactly give me faith that a lot of fresh ideas will be coming in as much as I think Horse himself is actually aware of the need for change.
Just as it's hard to get players to come from the AFL heartland it's even harder to get coaches, many of whom own homes, have families, kids in school etc.

Kennedy, Parker and Hewett- 3 don’t go into 2 - ain’t got room for 3. Two of them disappeared on Sunday, especially in the 4th quarter when Kirk would have demanded a response. Practice game or not, you don’t let the opposition walk over you. That performance was something out of the early 90s. Watch Swans marketing try their spin as the week wears on....brushing it under the carpet is not the way to go...I have had enough of the spin without substance...

Not a whole lot different to some of the comments on here. Just goes to prove why it is necessary.

this boards been pretty supportive , unless I missed something
Facebook people are quitting the club etc

Just as it's hard to get players to come from the AFL heartland it's even harder to get coaches, many of whom own homes, have families, kids in school etc.

It's a valid reason.

But it doesn't necessarily change the problem. I want the best coaching department in the competition, not the best coaching department made entirely of NSW locals.

Richmond kicked 8 goals or less 6 times in 2016. What’s your point?

Edit: Richmond kicked only 4 goals against Fremantle, yes FREMANTLE, in their opening practice match 2016. A dynasty is on our doorstep!

There are examples everywhere of clubs going through the absolute lowest of lows shortly before achieving enormous success.

And I am talking lows that are far worse than a 90-point loss in a pre-season match and having the highest percentage of any bottom four team ever.

Yet some people seem to think there is just absolutely no way that we could ever rebound like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back