Autopsy Sydney vs Port Adelaide. Things you learnt.

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a tactic designed to nullify Ebert's gut run as an outlet option - one of the reasons Port had so much trouble getting it out of their back half. I think Longmire was just surprised someone from the media picked up on something so subtle.
Turns out this Horse is a wily old fox.

1. Kudos to Gary Rohan... remember the old days when if he did something wrong his head would go down and we'd see nothing of him for the rest of the afternoon. Now here he is, battling on with a pretty bad corky and pushing through, even after the spray he kept going. He's really grown and now stands tall.

2. Heeney and Mills... OMG how lucky are we!!!:D Mills is a first year player who looks like he has played 150, calm, poised, good skills and decision making, what more can we ask for? And Heeney just keeps getting better, in attack, in defence, in the middle... his attack on the ball and/or the player is second to none! Imagine how it is going to be when they finally make it into the mids!!!

3. Allir and XR played well, good hands, good decisions and good skills.

4. My man Rampe!!! What a goal, just when I think I've seen your best, you take it up a level!! What a star! :D

5. Hanners and McVeigh had great games out on the wing and both were impactful getting the ball inside 50; Naismith was once again excellent (a real find there) and Nankervis just kept at it; JPK is peaking at the right time of year and Parker is following the trend!!

6. Finals here we come... even if Tippet doesn't make it back I think we are going to do well, if he does then the flag is ours! :p

PS. I think that the TV coverage must not have shown the rain... it drizzled right through the first quarter and on and off for the entire afternoon. The ball was slippery and maintaining possession was a challenge... We did okay.:rainbow:

Not sure mills is getting the admiration he deserves from footy media.. hes not best on ground every week, but he is incredibly consistant. Looks like a player with 200 games experience. Tackles hard, great mark, couragous.

But dont think he will get a sniff in the rising star
He has played so consistently well all year, for a first year player it's impressive, to say the least. I think it was in the first quarter, he gathered a ball off our defensive fifty, straightened up, ran a little then drilled a pass to Towers, 50 metre kick, lace out perfect. I just shook my head in awe when he did that.

Naismith is going to be a star! Great ruck work and he'll keep Sinclair out at this rate!

Yep I agree, can't see Sinclair getting his spot back.

I wonder though who will make way in order to bring Zac Jones back into the side?

And even IF Reid got fit before the finals, I can't see a place for him in this side now...is his five year contract finished yet?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the number of zeros after it...

Then again, the NRL or the A-League would probably be delighted with 3,000.

I guess only if the number is a multiple of ten thousand :p

But nope. Anything with more than thirty thousand to a home and away game is fine. It's nigh on impossible to turn a full house into anything more than a tick over 40k. In fact a "full house" is often 35k.

Expecting more is pointless and a bit whingey.:rainbow:

Last edited:
I think if we're dominating out of the middle but squandering our chances we should inject ramped further up the ground, I think he'd make a real difference to ur converting our chances.

However, if the ball's going the other way, we certainly need him in the backline.

I'd like to see horse trial this tactic at some point in the season

I wonder though who will make way in order to bring Zac Jones back into the side?

And even IF Reid got fit before the finals, I can't see a place for him in this side now...is his five year contract finished yet?
I think alot will depend on who we are playing. Against Hawthorn who play a small forward line you would definitely bring in Jones probably for Cunningham.
Against a taller forward line like North, you would expect Laidler or Richards to come in. Laidler is a very solid player but he's not that quick so you'd need the right match up for him.
As far as Reid is concerned, the club made a statement earlier in the week that they are soon going to make a call on whether he's done for the season or not. Time is running out.

I think alot will depend on who we are playing. Against Hawthorn who play a small forward line you would definitely bring in Jones probably for Cunningham.
Against a taller forward line like North, you would expect Laidler or Richards to come in. Laidler is a very solid player but he's not that quick so you'd need the right match up for him.
As far as Reid is concerned, the club made a statement earlier in the week that they are soon going to make a call on whether he's done for the season or not. Time is running out.

NEAFL side could always do with a "swingman"

And even IF Reid got fit before the finals, I can't see a place for him in this side now...is his five year contract finished yet?
[/QUOTE]

End of 2017 sadly thats probably a long term deal that hasn't worked out for us.

Naismith - 3 years
Rampe - 4 years

Absolute masterstrokes.

End of 2017 sadly thats probably a long term deal that hasn't worked out for us.

Naismith - 3 years
Rampe - 4 years

Absolute masterstrokes.[/QUOTE]

On the balance of things our long term deals have been pretty spot on. Might have saved a bit of coin if we hadn't done so with Reid but I'd imagine he'd still be on our list.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no way Hewett should be dropped, we need blokes that use the ball well, not less of them. Cunningham will go out for Jones if fit.
I didn't catch the whole match, only the first two quarters but Hewett's disposal was pretty poor in waht I saw. I know he is generally a decent user but he isn't the automatic clean machine he gets rated as at times.

Still think he is front of XR at this stage.
When fully fit yes, but he'll probably need a couple games at NEAFL level along with some games at senior level to find form before the finals. Time is running out for him this year.

1 - As a team, we have a bunch of players that are very strong overhead, even in such slippery conditions. But Heeney and Rohan in particular are absolutely fantastic. That mark Rohan took in the 3rd quarter when he was still very obviously battling injury was absolutely brilliant. At full tilt, he took it at the absolute height of his leap and was clean as a whistle. Port had no one that could be relied on to take a mark across the ground, except maybe Westcliff when he worked himself into the game in the second half.

2 - That reaction when Rampe went to the interchange bench after his goal was brilliant. The spontaneous ovation was a mirror of the reaction of the players on the field after he kicked it. Much loved player and with good reason. Should be an AA lock.

3 - Aliir is a leading forward's nightmare. He has incredible closing speed and a massive reach, so he manages to spoil in marking contests he has no right to be even near.

4 - I noticed yesterday for the first time why so many of our forward 50 entries go awry. Rather than kicking to a shorter option leading toward them, they're taking a few more steps and trying to kick it to a deeper option, often over the top of a defender. In the wet like yesterday or the wind like last week, those kicks drop short and land right in the opposition's laps. Too many strong leads inside 50 weren't honoured for the miracle long-range pass or in some cases, overly ambitious shots on goal. The funny thing was that sometimes a player who threw their arms up in frustration at not being passed the ball did the exact same thing when they were kicking inside 50.

5 - After on of his goals, they flashed up XR's stats and he is apparently the same height as Buddy - 196cm. That can't possibly be true, can it?

5 - After on of his goals, they flashed up XR's stats and he is apparently the same height as Buddy - 196cm. That can't possibly be true, can it?

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back