beatnik

Grizzled veteran
Jun 27, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
mavs, swan districts
I was thinking this morning about a few players who would have been brilliant in the T20 format if they'd been born a decade or two later.
I tried to select an Australian team of ODI stars who all but missed the T20 wave (I considered players who had played less than 10 International T20 games as a cut-off point)

• M Hayden - eligible as only played 9 T20Is, averaged 43 in ODIs, could dominate an attack with power or touch, great fielder (and sledger)
  • R Campbell (w) - born to play T20, could have become the best T20 player in the world...seriously
  • D Jones - like Campbell, Jones would have shone in T20 format, imagine him dancing all over crease with a modern mega-bat and smaller rope boundaries
  • S Waugh (c) - one of the best one-day players ever, game-winning death bowler, bankable middle-order bat, mercurial fielder and the hardest skipper to ever lead a team onto the park
  • M Bevan - possibly the best one-day batsman ever, could pace an innings like no other with full range of shots and an uncanny ability to find 2s and 3s
  • S O'Donnell - big hitter, great seamer who bowled a beautiful slower ball
  • I Harvey - like Campbell, The Freak was born a decade too early and missed the format built for him, reliable batmen, outstanding fielder and a canny death bowler with more variations than any other player I can remember
  • S Warne - almost excluded Warnie given he played years of T20 cricket after retiring from internationals but seemed unfair, no introductions necessary really
  • C McDermott - pioneer of the slower ball who studied baseball pitchers and had a great yorker to boot, handy lower order slogger
  • DK Lillee - enough said...
  • G McGrath - only played 2 T20Is, master of control who ruthlessly exploited techniques, would have bowled a lot of dot-balls in T20
Special mentions:
  • M Waugh - hard to split M Waugh and Haydos for opening position, Waugh was a handy offspinner but didn't him with four all-rounders in side
  • P Taylor - intelligent ODI spinner who bowled well at the death and a fiesty lower-order bat to boot
  • J Gillespie - played only 1 T20I before abortive ICL venture, just edged out by McDermott
  • D Martyn - averaged 40+ in ODIs, fluent and versatile batsmen who would have thrived in T20
  • Thommo - fast, full yorkers = fear and carnage, ODI average not flattering though
  • D Fleming - great swing bowler with a surprisingly good economy rate, very dependable
  • T Moody - great all-rounder, great change of pace, better player than ODI stats show
  • I Healy - great keeper and leader, good later order batsman able to chip into outfield for 2s

Excluded due to playing too many T20Is:
  • A Gilchrist (13)
  • R Ponting (17)
  • A Symonds (14)
  • N Bracken (19)

Feedback, thoughts or alternative selections welcome...

peace

Aus - Andrew Symonds < with his batting and fielding abilities, would of been fun to watch.

World - Anybody from the West Indies in their prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with OP on Ryan Campbell, played the Dilscoop before Dilshan made it famous and would have been a sensational T20 player. Played a bit of ICL, if memory serves correctly.
I heard he invented the shot because he was trying to hit Vic keeper Darren Berry in the face

Got to have Bradman. I know he's not regarded as being particularly aggressive or a big hitter. But he scored a century in a session on 6 occasions and once scored a century off 3 (8 ball) overs (admittedly only club cricket, though).

Also Victor Trumper and Dougie Walters.

Oh, and David Hookes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back