Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are also poorly coached or incapable of implementing the game plan.

GWS as a side covered 94km more than we did.

Edit: Stat was wrong

Yeah stat was wrong, no way a team runs 94km less than their opponents.

BUT Essendon would still have been last out of all teams in round 1 by a decent margin anyway, given GWS ran second least yet clearly outran Essendon.
So still a major concern.

Plus the fact GWS ran second least km's but won by 82 points and scored 112 points (second highest of the round) unfortunately shows they weren't made to work too hard for the score.

Did he really give that much valuable leadership quality except chucking tantrums and unleashing long, intense rants on teammates who were giving him the shits?

It’s interesting to ponder...
In general the players always said he provided a lot of really good leadership. They just knew to ignore him in white line fever mode.

For me Mutch has always looked most impressive when going in hard and putting his body on the line, he has the height but not the size to make use of it. Mutch will only ever make it as an inside midfielder so he needs to bulk up and bulk up soon.
Is that because you think he lacks pace, eDPS ?

Did he really give that much valuable leadership quality except chucking tantrums and unleashing long, intense rants on teammates who were giving him the shits?

As an outsider I think he was an excellent leader. From all reports a real professional with how he went about training and preparation, and you can't say the guy didn't bust his balls to win every game he played. Better leader than your current captain IMO.

As an outsider I think he was an excellent leader. From all reports a real professional with how he went about training and preparation, and you can't say the guy didn't bust his balls to win every game he played. Better leader than your current captain IMO.
A lot of people don't like him and because of that just ignore what the majority of people say and create a narrative in their head that he's unpopular.

I think the time has come (well, long over due really) for this club to purge this list.

Not purely from a skill/potential standpoint but from a cultural one as well. Players embody the culture of the club, and EFC has a TERRIBLE culture. Look at whats been dished up since 2000. Not much.

Teams of hungry, driven B/C graders have achieved more than what an Essendon outfit comprising of a couple A-/B+ graders surrounded by C/D graders have in 20 years.

Big ones that need to go:

- Myers
- Zaharakis

These 2 have been around longer than most, have been in (and out) of the leadership group, and along with Heppell, Bellchambers, Hooker and Hurley are the fabric of this team's culture.

Both of them are C+ graders who go missing often and are rarely seen if ever to step up when we're struggling.

They strike me as 2 blokes later in their careers happy to cruise towards the finish line. You don't build success around these blokes.

The others i've mentioned are important to the spine, Hurley/Hooker are influential staples at their best.

Bellchambers more so due to lack of alternatives.

I dont rate Daniher for leadership as he is a player that while talented, has his own issues to deal with. He is shocking at his job (kicking goals) and at the present time cant even get on the park. Bit hard to lead effectively when you're not out there nailing your role week in, week out.

Heppell, well i don't particularly rate him as a player (midfielder especially) or a leader but, he's what we've got. He seems like a reliable defender at best to me. To be honest i think the captaincy should be handed over to someone free of our complacent culture. Shiel comes to mind.

The other crucial members of the team (Zerret (not so much @ 26), McGrath, Parish, Francis, Laverede, Langford, Fantasia etc) are too young to be establishing culture. It needs to be coming from above with these guys embracing it. Fantasia in the leadership group, like daniher boggles me. Fantastic player, consistently inconsistent injury wise.

Others that need to go:

- Long
- Baguley
- Ambrose

Others that are treading water:

- Brown (currently servicable)
- Smack
- Stewart
- Hartley

We've added known talent along the way, few of which are meeting potential. Much of which i think would be realised at clubs with better cultures.

Yeah well I don’t usually rate outsiders opinions on Essendon players and I tend to make up my own mind about who’s busted their balls in this game or that.
But thanks for the thought.

I think the time has come (well, long over due really) for this club to purge this list.

Not purely from a skill/potential standpoint but from a cultural one as well. Players embody the culture of the club, and EFC has a TERRIBLE culture. Look at whats been dished up since 2000. Not much.

Teams of hungry, driven B/C graders have achieved more than what an Essendon outfit comprising of a couple A-/B+ graders surrounded by C/D graders have in 20 years.

- Myers
- Zaharakis

These 2 have been around longer than most, have been in (and out) of the leadership group, and along with Heppell, Bellchambers, Hooker and Hurley are the fabric of this team's culture.

Both of them are C+ graders who go missing often and are rarely seen if ever to step up when we're struggling.

They strike me as 2 blokes later in their careers happy to cruise towards the finish line. You don't build success around these blokes.

The others i've mentioned are important to the spine, Hurley/Hooker are influential staples at their best.

I dont rate Daniher for leadership as he is a player that while talented, has his own issues to deal with. He is shocking at his job (kicking goals) and at the present time cant even get on the park. Bit hard to lead effectively when you're not out there nailing your role week in, week out.

Heppell, well i don't particularly rate him as a player (midfielder especially) or a leader but, he's what we've got. He seems like a reliable defender at best to me. To be honest i think the captaincy should be handed over to someone free of our complacent culture. Shiel comes to mind.

The other crucial members of the team (Zerret (not so much @ 26), McGrath, Parish, Francis, Laverede, Langford, Fantasia etc) are too young to be establishing culture. It needs to be coming from above with these guys embracing it. Fantasia in the leadership group, like daniher boggles me. Fantastic player, consistently inconsistent injury wise.

Others that need to go:

- Long
- Baguley
- Ambrose

- Smack
- Stewart
- Hartley

We've added known talent along the way, few of which are meeting potential. Much of which i think would be realised at clubs with better cultures.

Zaka has 2 more years on his contract. unless he wants out he is going nowhere.

Myers on the other hand I would happily let go along with Bags, Ambrose, Brown, Hartley and D. Clarke from the main list.

Long, Mcneice and Dea can go from the rookie list too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And how's keeping Stanton on the list 1 year too long working out for us?

James Kelly? What was the point of another year.

Brendon Goddard, same deal.

Paul Chapman another 1 year too long.

Hawks and Geelong have all moved on their superstars yet we struggle to make one tough decision. Luke Hodge is one of their best captains of all time and best players yet is in his second year at Brisbane.

Hawks and Geelong have all moved on their superstars yet we struggle to make one tough decision. Luke Hodge is one of their best captains of all time and best players yet is in his second year at Brisbane.

Goddard I think we let go at the right time.

The rest I agree with.

Gotta do it man, gotta be competitive in September.

Ah yes...

I remember you were quite fond of Stanton.

What we’re missing most is Jobe’s leadership and presence. If we had a forgettable first half, he’d turn it up and dominate in the 3rd quarter to bring us back in the contest. It’s why we had so many huge comeback victories in his time. He captained a far less talented side than what we have at the moment.

Nowadays, the game is basically over already if we’re behind at half-time. We don’t have anyone that inspires us.

Zaka has 2 more years on his contract. unless he wants out he is going nowhere.

Myers on the other hand I would happily let go along with Bags, Ambrose, Brown, Hartley and D. Clarke from the main list.

Long, Mcneice and Dea can go from the rookie list too.

dont disagree with alot of that but i wouldnt be getting rid of Dylan Clarke....

- Myers
- Zaharakis

Others that need to go:

- Long
- Baguley
- Ambrose

- Smack
- Stewart
- Hartley

the problem is we've thought the list was entering a window, so have traded a lot of picks away for players.
replacing these guys won't be easy.

Before we focus on the talent on the list, someone needs to address the ghost of Essington.
its beyond a joke now. We have become pre-premiership Richmond levels of comical.
When there is a chance we could balls something up so ridiculously its unfathomable, we'll step up to the plate and deliver

Carlton 2017 in the rain
Swans 2017 @ SCG. Game won with 5m to go. Lose.
Carlton 2018
Lions 2017 in Melbourne
Anzac Day 2018

Losses in the last 2 years that undo the good work we do during the season.
It would seem we accept these without addressing the causes.

What we’re missing most is Jobe’s leadership and presence. If we had a forgettable first half, he’d turn it up and dominate in the 3rd quarter to bring us back in the contest. It’s why we had so many huge comeback victories in his time. He captained a far less talented side than what we have at the moment.

Nowadays, the game is basically over already if we’re behind at half-time. We don’t have anyone that inspires us.
the interviews ive seen of Jobe over the years gave insight into his presence.
there was a driven intensity about him that was overwhelming, but it looked like it would inspire those to follow him.

Lets not forget he didnt begin as the most talented footballer, and built himself through self improvement and challenging himself.

I dont get that vibe from Heppell.
One wonders if the playing group pick up on the same vibe.

This is where a Hooker or Merrett make more sense. guys who improved themselves beyond their draft pick
or a Shiel/Smith, who came up in a GWS getting smashed but stood up for themselves early days.

Hooker, Dev & Merrett would make for a LG that i could see guiding us out of this rut

I think your love of T-Bell has clouded your judgement.

McEvoy has been one of the most consistent ruckman in the league for the last 6-7 years.
I think most people outside of Essendon (and even some such as myself within the essendon community) would take McEvoy over Bellchambers any day.

T-Bells good is very good, but he swings between very good and barely noticeable far too often. Give me McEvoys 20 B to B+ grade games a year anyday.
As always the truth lies somewhere in between.

Is Big Boy a spud? No, he is a serviceable to good AFL ruckman. But Eth is right in saying that TBC has regularly beaten him over the years.

TBC is better but he has some serious limitations(mobility mainly) that at times make him look very ordinary.

How this myth persists has me stumped....

Every word out of the playing group, coaching group and club suggests BJ was highly respected. The club bestowed life membership upon him despite not meeting any of the criteria re games payed etc....think they would do this if he was the twat he is often made out to be?

As always the truth lies somewhere in between.

Is Big Boy a spud? No, he is a serviceable to good AFL ruckman. But Eth is right in saying that TBC has regularly beaten him over the years.

TBC is better but he has some serious limitations(mobility mainly) that at times make him look very ordinary.
TBC is a great tap ruckman.
And he's handy around the stoppage as he'll throw some strength around. Also, he will stand up to anyone trying to rough us up.
He's just not quick. And in the 6-6-6 world, that may be a problem
That said, i'd consider him at FF as a tall strong target/2nd ruck, and start playing Clarke as #1

Macca will get around the ground, create a forward target.
He's certainly a best 22 player. Just wonder if he can ruck as much as he does going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back