Talk of cancelling the First Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong McVeigh, and his wife 'Clementine' is still alive

Not the wrong mcveigh

Jarrad quite clearly couldn't play. Spike did play after the death of his niece, wore the black arm band and looked to the sky from the centre afterwards. Extremely moving

Did get the family member name wrong though

You make it sound like it's a deadline, the funeral will be when the family decide it happens not anyone else saying it should happen just so they can play a precious game of cricket.

Never said otherwise, just from personal experiences. I know when my uncle and nan passed away we had the funeral within 3 days. So surely that is Tuesday as that is 3 days, not including Saturday which I' sure many places work then as well. It helps the grieving process if it is done as quick as possible, well it did for me anyway. That said, it depends where the funeral is, no one has any idea, everyone is guessing here, I'm doing the same, I would rather not guess. I have always said the players welfare is at the forefront, they should never under any circumstance be forced to play.

Have mixed feelings about this. Just get the feeling that Phillip loved the game so much he'd be saying "play on".

He would, but the aftermath of his passing and the effect it has had on the cricket family worldwide makes it realistically not an option in my opinion.

A week is not a long time in the context of mourning a teammate's death though. There will be a decision before the funeral IMO, and it will very likely be a cancellation or postponement.

The latter is the most likely at this stage, even if it is a few days. I just doubt the players will want to even think about it till after the funeral and I would give them that courtesy. No harm not making a decision till Monday or Tuesday.

Never said otherwise, just from personal experiences. I know when my uncle and nan passed away we had the funeral within 3 days. So surely that is Tuesday as that is 3 days, not including Saturday which I' sure many places work then as well. It helps the grieving process if it is done as quick as possible, well it did for me anyway. That said, it depends where the funeral is, no one has any idea, everyone is guessing here, I'm doing the same, I would rather not guess. I have always said the players welfare is at the forefront, they should never under any circumstance be forced to play.

I think there is probably going to be a lot of preparation in having the funeral and where to have it, Tuesday seems like the right amount of time and with that said I cant imagine a Test being played in a day or two.

He would, but the aftermath of his passing and the effect it has had on the cricket family worldwide makes it realistically not an option in my opinion.
Maybe! Somehow think when the dust settles a little more and the emotion eases the game will go on. India wants to play - they run the game . And as heartless as it might appear now the ACB will be conscious of the loss of shekels should it be cancelled. Postponed is a more realistic possibility.

I think there is probably going to be a lot of preparation in having the funeral and where to have it, Tuesday seems like the right amount of time and with that said I cant imagine a Test being played in a day or two.

Yep, look I hate 'guessing'. The family should have the funeral at the time they want and at the place they want. Also another consideration is if the funeral is in his hometown, that is another day of travelling for the players, to and from the area. Not as if the place is 10 minutes drive out of Sydney. If they want to play the game, a more realistic start might be Saturday or Sunday if they want to play the game, so a compromise I guess. I won't force them to play though.

Maybe! Somehow think when the dust settles a little more and the emotion eases the game will go on. India wants to play - they run the game . And as heartless as it might appear now the ACB will be conscious of the loss of shekels should it be cancelled. Postponed is a more realistic possibility.
Postponing it sounds a better option. I think thats a win for everyone.

I have always felt a week needs to pass by at the very least.

I think India deserves and utmost commands respect for the way they have handled the situation. We have dictated terms that has impacted on them and they have accepted and sent their condolences at the same time as well.

It's also worth remembering that guys like Smith and Warner are still pretty young and for them it may be the first time they've experienced the loss of a contemporary, which as we know is a very confronting time. It's easy to say that Philip would have wanted them to play but intellectually and emotionally there's a lot to process and that might take some time.

I think India deserves and utmost commands respect for the way they have handled the situation. We have dictated terms that has impacted on them and they have accepted and sent their condolences at the same time as well.

Yep and MS Dhoni and Virat Kholi have been nothing short of understanding. The BCCI gets a bad name, but they have been very understanding.

Funeral could well be a few days later than that given the involvement of the coroner's office. Tuesday at the absolute earliest would be my guess - which in my opinion makes it impossible to start the test on the Thursday.

I think that cancelling makes the most sense and is the most likely outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funeral could well be a few days later than that given the involvement of the coroner's office. Tuesday at the absolute earliest would be my guess - which in my opinion makes it impossible to start the test on the Thursday

Depends, everyone is having a wild guess. Personally would rather wait until we know when the funeral is. I doubt it will be later than Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. Test postponed till Saturday or Sunday if they wish to play, up to them, I'll let CA make the call.

Funeral could well be a few days later than that given the involvement of the coroner's office. Tuesday at the absolute earliest would be my guess - which in my opinion makes it impossible to start the test on the Thursday.

Which makes me think that my suggestion of having it on Saturday onwards has a lot of merit. It would cause the least disruption to the Test Series.

Lets not forget the Pak-NZ test match abandoned a days play and made it up by having a 6th day! Must be the first time ever since timeless Tests.

Which makes me think that my suggestion of having it on Saturday onwards has a lot of merit. It would cause the least disruption to the Test Series.

Lets not forget the Pak-NZ test match abandoned a days play and made it up by having a 6th day! Must be the first time ever since timeless Tests.

Rest days used to be traditional

Same applies to the next round of the Sheffield Shield - which is scheduled to start next Friday.

Yep and if anything that is sort of a compromise, even Sunday could be an option. It isn't 'ideal' to have 4 days during the week, but this isn't a usual occurance.

Either cancel it, or move it to after the Sydney test, and just squeeze up the ODI's a bit.

It would be nice to have the first test of the summer at Hughes' adopted home ground.

Same applies to the next round of the Sheffield Shield - which is scheduled to start next Friday.

Wouldn't be shocked if the Shield games go ahead so long as the players are mentally ready. That is the million dollar question. Who knows, no one does. Eventually cricket will get on with being a game that players love to play. Whether it is next Friday I don't know. But that is 7 days away, plenty of time.

This was a freak occurance we are unlikely to see again in our lifetime.

Game must go ahead and its important our fast bowlers let them go without fear or favour.

All proceeds to the Phil Hughes memorial brain injury fund.

Wouldn't be shocked if the Shield games go ahead so long as the players are mentally ready. That is the million dollar question. Who knows, no one does. Eventually cricket will get on with being a game that players love to play. Whether it is next Friday I don't know. But that is 7 days away, plenty of time.
More than enough for some, not nearly enough for others. Everyone remotely connected to that level of the game will be allowed to take as little or as much time away as they need, as it should be.

This was a freak occurance we are unlikely to see again in our lifetime.

Game must go ahead and its important our fast bowlers let them go without fear or favour.

Lol, easy to say. How can it not be in the back of your mind though, as you are about to send down a barrage of bouncers a week after this tragedy?

More than enough for some, not nearly enough for others. Everyone remotely connected to that level of the game will be allowed to take as little or as much time away as they need, as it should be.

I agree, wouldn't force them to play, but at the same time wouldn't rule it out. The two teams that will have massive issues are sa/nsw. No idea when either team will be able to play. That said, 7 days is a very long time in cricket. Luckily a delay for a week or two won't hurt the shield season. Just call them draws and go from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back