Rumour Taylor Walker dropped (Mark Riccuito)

Remove this Banner Ad

That must be it. Walker was the toughest nut in the AFL till Carl started scripting Neil Craig's press conferences.....

We've seen on a couple of occasions that Walker's first instinct was to bump rather than tackle. Technically this is a bad move, but it is inherently aggressive. The coach has been pushing the message that he doesnt believe in toughness and won't tolerate players being reported, leads to the player second guessing their natural instinct.

Hey, did anyone notice how similar Geelong and Collingwood's tactics are to ours? How they both like to get uncontested control of the footy before they initiate attacks? How they slow the play down at every opportunity? Did you see them patiently switching play by working it through the defensive fifty with half a dozen uncontested marks? Or what about how they handballed backwards out of the packs?

What? You didn't see that? Funny, neither did I.
Me neither.

When you see these 'heavy weight' clashes you see them play a tough, simple brand of football because they know they will not have the time and space for anything cute or fancy.

That is why these teams can survive in a finals cauldron whereas teams that try to play pretty, precise football (us, the Bulldogs) lose.

Come on mate.... She dodged the question on finding a big forward leading the tackle stats inside 50 and its someone else who is arguing semantics. Give me a break.

I didn't "dodge" the question at all. I simply stated - in MY opinion - Tex is not lumbering. Why then would I want to go on to try and prove someone else's point? That's just stupid.

Lumbering to me equates to someone like Roo at his worst (towards the end :(). Had a turning circle of the Queen Mary and was slow and cumbersome. IMO, Tex is none of those. I've seen him run (when he's trying to get a ball - not the man though), I've seen him turn on a dime as he kicks a freakish goal (hence the agile statement). He is certainly not lumbering.

Definition: Move in a slow, heavy, awkward way.

I didn't "dodge" the question at all. I simply stated - in MY opinion - Tex is not lumbering. Why then would I want to go on to try and prove someone else's point? That's just stupid.

Lumbering to me equates to someone like Roo at his worst (towards the end :(). Had a turning circle of the Queen Mary and was slow and cumbersome. IMO, Tex is none of those. I've seen him run (when he's trying to get a ball - not the man though), I've seen him turn on a dime as he kicks a freakish goal (hence the agile statement). He is certainly not lumbering.

Tex is lumbering...when he doesn't have the ball. When he does get it, he transforms into a 194cm Darren Jarman. Is it possible that this simply has more to do with him being a brilliant, naturally gifted footballer rather than any of the other crap that's been heaped on him?

I think the key to walkers game is to try an isolate him 1 on 1 in the forward 50 and he will generally win the contest. I think this is what happens when he plays for the legs but when he plays for us he is pushed up the ground and when he does play in the forward 50 it is so crowded he can't find the space to get 1 on 1 . The delivery from the midfield is terrible which is also not helping.

So.. someone wants to engage in active debate and asks you a direct question... you choose to pick on one relatively irrelevant adjective as the counter point to your argument?

Yep - that's dodging in my book.

Even if it isn't - hardly fair for stabby to have a go for being pedantic and focussing on a specific word when that's exactly what you've done ;)

I think the key to walkers game is to try an isolate him 1 on 1 in the forward 50 and he will generally win the contest. I think this is what happens when he plays for the legs but when he plays for us he is pushed up the ground and when he does play in the forward 50 it is so crowded he can't find the space to get 1 on 1 . The delivery from the midfield is terrible which is also not helping.

He is a lead up forward. Not a great contested mark, but a good crumber.

So i would randomly say 1. give him plenty of space, and know how to play it to his advantage (in front, run onto it). Or secondly, just stick him next to Tippo and see if they can get a combo going (Tex lead, retrace, crumb tippo)

Has this occured much this season? I can't say I have the most astute memory.

Tex can often be found front and square to Tippet. He's been the best at crumbing and goaling from tippet the last season or so.

But lumbering players surely can't be good crumbers?? ;)

This was the point I was trying to make. He ISN'T a lumbering player at all. Why then would I go on to try and prove or not a point I wasn't even making??

Update:
  • Crows won well without Walker
  • Tex kicked 7.2 for Norwood.
  • Gunston played well, had 5 tackles.
  • etc
What does this prove?

I dunno, but the 38 pages to arrive here seems excessive :D

great post - our midfield/delivery is our biggest problem

there is not enough supply - let alone quality supply - for any forward to live off

that means the forwards have got to fight like hell when it does get in there

who will be counting Gunston's tackles this week? ;)

Tex can often be found front and square to Tippet. He's been the best at crumbing and goaling from tippet the last season or so.
Usually rear & square, having dragged his opponent to the contest - making one more player Tippett has to compete against for the mark (while Tex refuses to engage).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how Dawes and Cloke are laying all of these tackles while at the same time flying for marks...are you sure it isn't their small brigade of Blair, Didak, Krakouer, Ball etc. who initially contain the ball then Dawes/Cloke back them up??? These are the guys that we're missing, and Walker + Tippett (who also had no tackles last week) will both be far more effective in the tackling department when we have them.
You miss the point. Look at Cloke (21 tackles at 3.0), Dawes 28 tackles at 4.0), Jack Riewoldt (14 tackles at 1.8), even Tom Hawkins (13 tackles at 2.2) Tippett (10 tackles at 1.7) show endeavour to keep the ball in the area. The elite Pavlich (35 tackles at 5.0) shows how it can be done as well as racking up possessions. Craig is a teaching coach and Tex just has to learn or become yet another flashy youngster who gets left behind.I love the kid but he has to have more strings to his bow.

You miss the point. Look at Cloke (21 tackles at 3.0), Dawes 28 tackles at 4.0), Jack Riewoldt (14 tackles at 1.8), even Tom Hawkins (13 tackles at 2.2) Tippett (10 tackles at 1.7) show endeavour to keep the ball in the area. The elite Pavlich (35 tackles at 5.0) shows how it can be done as well as racking up possessions. Craig is a teaching coach and Tex just has to learn or become yet another flashy youngster who gets left behind.I love the kid but he has to have more strings to his bow.

And this is the present and immediate reality we find ourselves in. It is essential he develop this aspect of his game or he will get left behind.

Usually rear & square, having dragged his opponent to the contest - making one more player Tippett has to compete against for the mark (while Tex refuses to engage).
That's only partially true.
Believe or not AFL defenders actually leave their opponents to help their team mates.
So Walker's opponent might have seen that his team mate needs help with Tippett and Walker could have been following his man to make him accountable.
Then there's the opposition ruck man helping out his team mates as well but hey that Walker's fault by your logic.
Sometimes the defenders on our other forwards (Knights, Henderson, Smack etc) leave their direct opponents out to help the player on Tippett but again it's all Walkers fault nobody else's.

You are highlighting the lack of vision our players have. If Tippett has two defenders that means we have a free player in the forward 50 and we should use him as an avenue to goal. Then in theory they will return to their opponent freeing Kurt up.

Your perceived hatred of Walker has blinded you to the above.

If you were able to get the games on a regular basis would would see that both Walker and Tippett lead into each others space not just Taylor leading into Kurt's space.
Being at the game let's you see a lot more than you see on TV.

I really don't think it's that black and white.

Once Walker's made 2 maybe 3 leads and been ignored. Then it becomes painfully obvious that the bomb to Tippet is coming. Obvious to Walker, his defender and every other defender in the forward 50 and every on in the stadium.

Once this happens, they all gravitate to Tippet including Walker's opponent leaving Tippet to compete with multiple defenders anyway.

Now you could say why doesn't he stay away from the goal square? Well everybody knows it's coming and everybody knows that a pass to another option in the forward 50 will not eventuate, especially after leads have been ignored. Regardless of whether Walker goes to the goal square not, he's opponent is going to the goal square.

This leaves Walker the option of jumping with Tippet or waiting for the crumb. I would wait for the crumb because if he jumps people will be complaining that he spoiled Tippets chances.

I dont think teams even take our leads seriously they are happy to stack their last line of defence and wait for the bomb.

He talked about Brisbane and Jonathon Brown. Leigh Mathews was worried because Brown was running trying to cover too much ground. When it came his turn he was too buggered. So they told him stop worrying about defensive aspect and stay in the 50 mark. It did two things, gave him more energy for the contest so he produced more and it also gave the team structure because they knew Brown would always be there.

He also made note of our game plan of having free players in defense waiting for the uncontested ball has been worked out. Once we have the press applied against us that little quick defensive handball is too predictable.

Malcolm Blight said almost exactly the same thing.

No further questions, your honour.

Neil, you are a clown. And not even a funny one.

Malcolm Blight said almost exactly the same thing.

No further questions, your honour.

Neil, you are a clown. And not even a funny one.
Of course there's a slight difference between Brown & Walker, in that Brown works his butt off every single game, while Walker..... If you honestly think that there's any comparison between the two then you must be crazy.
That's only partially true.
Believe or not AFL defenders actually leave their opponents to help their team mates.
So Walker's opponent might have seen that his team mate needs help with Tippett and Walker could have been following his man to make him accountable.
Then there's the opposition ruck man helping out his team mates as well but hey that Walker's fault by your logic.
Sometimes the defenders on our other forwards (Knights, Henderson, Smack etc) leave their direct opponents out to help the player on Tippett but again it's all Walkers fault nobody else's.

You are highlighting the lack of vision our players have. If Tippett has two defenders that means we have a free player in the forward 50 and we should use him as an avenue to goal. Then in theory they will return to their opponent freeing Kurt up.

Your perceived hatred of Walker has blinded you to the above.

If you were able to get the games on a regular basis would would see that both Walker and Tippett lead into each others space not just Taylor leading into Kurt's space.
Being at the game let's you see a lot more than you see on TV.
Yes.. it's only partly true, and yes, I'm exaggerating slightly.

I do get sick of seeing him hanging around the back of the pack while his direct opponent flies against Tippett. If he does have to be in the same area, why can't he position himself front & centre, where a good crumber ought to be? Crumbing is definitely one of his strengths, so why does he position himself so badly?

I don't hate Walker. I really want to be able to love him. He frustrates and disappoints me in equal parts. I can see the talent oozing out of every pore of his skin - but his lack of work ethic on the field is severely hampering his ability to turn that talent into performance. If only he could get his on-field work ethic right (noting that he does everything right off the field), then we could be looking at our best forward since Tony Modra. If he doesn't, then he'll eventually end up on the scrapheap like so many talented but lazy players before him - think Cupido.

I wonder if Bass is going to drop Taylor to Norwood reserves? You know, poor tackle count and all.
You do realise that he wasn't dropped just because of his poor tackle count, though you seem to be obsessed with it. His poor tackle count was just a symptom of his overall poor work ethic on the field. It is this lack of work rate which saw him get dropped.

. If he doesn't, then he'll eventually end up on the scrapheap like so many talented but lazy players before him - think Cupido.

What utter garbage. Cupido ended up on the scrapheap because he had constant battles with his fitness, a gambling problem and loved getting on the turps.

It had nothing to do with harebrained selectors thinking he hadn't executed enough "pressure acts" on the field.

If Taylor's biggest asterix over his career is that he didnt lay enough tackles, I'll gladly take it.

You really do have this strange obsession with his tackle count, as if that were the only flaw with Walker's game. It's not even close to the only flaw.

Using the tackle count is just a symbolic gesture. Call it tackles, call it pressure acts, call it defensive pressure, call it effort, chasing.... whatever. We are all talking about the same thing.

Firstly, Pavlich does not belong in that particular group because he spends a high percentage of time in the midfield.

I think you've missed the point - the tackle count in this instance is irrelevant. Look at Tippett's 10 tackles, this is the lowest in that group. At least half of them would have occurred while in the ruck. So, on a level playing field, both Tippett (5 tackles) and Walker (2 tackles) are considerably lower than their contemporaries.

Why is it so?

What all those other players have is an excellent support act in terms of defensive small forwards - as I said previously, it is their job to initially contain the ball, then bigger guys can have an impact at ground level. Without the small guys, the big guys don't have a hope in prayer of keeping the ball in, and this has been Walker/Tippett's problem from the start. Craig has expected them to do the initial containment, which is just not realistic.

This does not excuse Walker for the soft displays, or his lack of interest in chasing opponents at times. However, absolutely no conclusions can be drawn from Walker's tackle count in isolation. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back