Taylor Walker tackle on Josh Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Sling tackle resulting in Kelly's head hitting the ground and his night over.

Did have one arm free though that may save Walker.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Will probably get a week because of how the AFL treats concussion, but really just an unlucky incident. The sling was a single motion but there was too much momentum through the tackle.
Interesting the umpire originally called holding the ball but changed his mind, but changed his mind we he noticed Kelly didn’t get up. Similarly none of the gws players went to remonstrate with Tex until after the free kick was paid, and they realised something went wrong.

Thoughts?
Looks like he lets him go before he hits the ground which probably saves him. Players have got done when they have pinned the arms and driven them into the ground

It looks like more than one motion and obviously the resultant concussion hurts him so probably looking at a week or 2

Its similar to the Nyhuis one, and that was 3 weeks, in that its a free for incorrect disposal until the tackle continues after the ball has spilled, and the injured player is motionless for a long time.

It might depend on whether they decide that Walker knows that the ball has dropped when it has (or not)...and then maybe the size/weight difference might have a bearing on the severity.

Will probably get a week because of how the AFL treats concussion, but really just an unlucky incident. The sling was a single motion but there was too much momentum through the tackle.
Interesting the umpire originally called holding the ball but changed his mind, but changed his mind we he noticed Kelly didn’t get up. Similarly none of the gws players went to remonstrate with Tex until after the free kick was paid, and they realised something went wrong.
That isn't true. The fact Kelly was out cold was a dead giveaway. Kenners clearly saw it and was livid.
That said I'm not a fan of club allegiance when it comes to these things.players health is not a petty matter. I hope Josh us ok, in the same way I hoped Andrews was ok.
The rest the judiciary will sort out.

2 weeks......it’s an outcome based system.

Rough conduct
Careless, high impact to the head which is 3 weeks....2 with early plea.

He will get 2 weeks me thinks

Careless
Medium - i’m basing this on the fact he didn’t totally swing tackle him all the way round to force his head to make contact onto the ground. The rotation and gravity of the tackle caused the contact, therefore it was medium, not high.
High

1 week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They may view that Walker moves his left arm from the waist to under Kelly's shoulder to provide that extra sling effect, and this happens after the ball has dropped.

So it could be seen as two motions.

Careless
Medium - i’m basing this on the fact he didn’t totally swing tackle him all the way round to force his head to make contact onto the ground. The rotation and gravity of the tackle caused the contact, therefore it was medium, not high.
High

1 week.

Reading the Crows GBU thread, I would have thought you guys would prefer he gets 2 and is done for the year.

He started to release the tackle about a foot before Kelly hits the ground.......by which time the damage was done wit he the momentum of the tackle.

Kelly was knocked out.....not sure how that ever gets graded as medium impact.

ThE only mitigation I can see is that Kelly had the ball....and if it is not determined as a sling.....but long bow to draw

Reading the Crows GBU thread, I would have thought you guys would prefer he gets 2 and is done for the year.

He started to release the tackle about a foot before Kelly hits the ground.......by which time the damage was done wit he the momentum of the tackle.

Kelly was knocked out.....not sure how that ever gets graded as medium impact.

ThE only mitigation I can see is that Kelly had the ball....and if I think is not determined as a sling.....but long bow to draw

Sure, he should have been put out to pasture 5 weeks ago to get his body right but that incident only deserves 1 week.

Impact is applied by how much force is applied. Tex let get and his force didn’t impact on Kelly hitting the ground any harder. He is culpable but not to the full extent of the law.

Sure, he should have been put out to pasture 5 weeks ago to get his body right but that incident only deserves 1 week.

Impact is applied by how much force is applied. Tex let get and his force didn’t impact on Kelly hitting the ground any harder. He is culpable but not to the full extent of the law.

I guess we will see come Monday

That isn't true. The fact Kelly was out cold was a dead giveaway. Kenners clearly saw it and was livid.
That said I'm not a fan of club allegiance when it comes to these things.players health is not a petty matter. I hope Josh us ok, in the same way I hoped Andrews was ok.
The rest the judiciary will sort out.

Isn’t that what I said? He was knocked out which was the give away but none of them reacted straight away, because it looked ok in real time which why the umpire originally paid htb. One gws player walked right past Kelly and then kept going.
I’m assuming ‘kernners’ was the idiot wearing number 40?

Isn’t that what I said? He was knocked out which was the give away but none of them reacted straight away, because it looked ok in real time which why the umpire originally paid htb. One gws player walked right past Kelly and then kept going.
I’m assuming ‘kernners’ was the idiot wearing number 40?
I've identified an Idiot but it wasn't Adam Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back