Preview Team Thursday

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Neale (18) and Josh Mellington(19) say hello.

St Kilda hadn't had 7 of their midfielders on the injury list in the first four rounds. He plays the kids because thats all thats left.

The point I'm trying to make is that it has little to do with the performances of younger players. Ledger, Lynch, Siposs, Cripps, Walsh had all shown promise but were given limited opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at the top level. We can't read much into team selection in an environment such as that.

Lachie Neale (18) and Josh Mellington(19) say hello.

Mellington is now injured anyway, so moot point.

Morabito is injured, Barlow just cam back from injury.... Stacks of their other rookies are injured so there choices are limited.

New club, new philosophy.... It's not just as simple as pulling up a couple of names.

I'm sure if Neale were with the Crows he would be ahead of a lot of players we have on the list too.

Mellington is now injured anyway, so moot point.

Morabito is injured, Barlow just cam back from injury.... Stacks of their other rookies are injured so there choices are limited.

New club, new philosophy.... It's not just as simple as pulling up a couple of names.

I'm sure if Neale were with the Crows he would be ahead of a lot of players we have on the list too.

Do you think that Lachie (draft pick 58) Neale would get a game in front of Kerridge. If so then it's just as well that Rendell has gone.

Van Berlo, Lower, Grover and Silvagni were all playing WAFL last week. Only Morabito and Fyfe were missing from their best 22 last week and Fyfe came back this week to join Lachie in the starting 18.

Do you think that Lachie (draft pick 58) Neale would get a game in front of Kerridge. If so then it's just as well that Rendell has gone.

Van Berlo, Lower, Grover and Silvagni were all playing WAFL last week. Only Morabito and Fyfe were missing from their best 22 last week and Fyfe came back this week to join Lachie in the starting 18.

Neale was sub last round. Lets just see where he actually lines up when subs are named 90 mins prior. And his preseason was about on par with Kerridges. And in fact he and Kerridge currently have 1 game each......

Maybe his height was a worry for selection for the Crows st the time? Bunch of other reasons like team structure etc, that go into drafting a player. And he may have also done a lot of work to impress pre-NAB cup matches at Freo. I do know lots of Freo fans were very excited about his prospects this year.

Hmmmm.

Can we play Petrenko, Wright, Porps and Callinan in the same side?

Probably not, I think Petrenko will drop out, with Wright performing his role. Wrights far better suited to it anyway, Petrenkos a small defender/mid, he really isn't a small forward.

What about Walker, Tippett and McKernan?

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Once again we've got Reilly, Johncock, Doughty and Jaensch named, as well as Martin.

McKernan, Hendo and Otten on the extended bench, and one of our midfielders (Vince) is out.

I'll be a rebel and rest Petrenko (if Callinan is fit) and cut Otten and Mackay from the side. Lyons can play as an inside or outside mid which makes him a more suitable replacement for Bernie. I'd like to see Martin given a go on the wing (or possibly Petrenko) and Jaensch as the sub to come on just after half time.

Mackay is named in the starting 18, won't drop out.

Final changes for mine will be:

In: Johncock, Callinan
Out: Vince, Petrenko
Emg: Lyons, Petrenko, Otten

Forster, Crozier and Sheridan were all picked ahead of Neale by Fremantle. Should they sack their recruiter too? PLayer development and selection just isn't as simple as pick high draft pick -> play draft pick, see veteran -> drop veteran.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back