Preview Team vs North (IN: Fletch, Gus, Cram, Hibb, Lee | OUT: Slatts, Winders, Pears, Hooker, Howlett)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope the * that Hille doesn't play. Now watch him play and have a 20 disposal, 4 goal game to get us over the line.

Pears hasn't played AFL for a while, so surprised he was dropped immediately. It can take a while to adjust again to the pace of AFL.

Wow that forward line!! Imagine if Licka was sitting in there too...very potent!!!

Is this a joke? Does Bendigo ever actually play? What is it, a round robin 4 game season or something?

Quite funny how their season has mirrored the senior team. They've lost the past 4-5 after winning 5-6 in a row. With no game this weekend they'll most likely drop out of the 8.

Quite funny how their season has mirrored the senior team. They've lost the past 4-5 after winning 5-6 in a row. With no game this weekend they'll most likely drop out of the 8.

At least the senior team has got to play every week.

wang395.jpg

Oh wait.

The more I think about it,the more I believe that Monfries shouldn't play.

We need rotations in the midfield, and Monfries may not be able to provide this need.

I wonder if this thread will get hijacked by north supporters like the last preview thread....:rolleyes:

Think Hille, Slats & Colyer might miss the final 22 and they will line up a little more like this;-

Hooker Fletch Hardingham
Hibberd Carlisle Dempsey
Melksham Lonergan Heppell
Monfries Hurley Jetta
Crameri Gumby Davey

T.Bell Watson Hocking

Bench from: Browne NLM Baguley
SUB: Lee

Swap NLM and Lee and Im happy with this. Pretty confident if this is it.

The only reason I'd play Monfries is to play Howlett's role in the middle. The fact that opposition supporters carry on about his acting for in the back and too high is precisely because he does try to get in and under to win the ball and put his head over it. However, with him missing a few with injury and probably not confident about his hammies I wouldn't like to see this fall to him. Unless there was a set plan to have him on the ground early with Colyer as sub. Monfries to get into it when the kitchen is hot and later in the game a fresh Colyer to come on and break the lines. Personally I'd just like to see Nat Rat get in there for the whole game and with Jobe, Lonergan, Lee and Hocking the five of them can bully North in the stoppages. If we were to go with those four I would want much more pace on the flanks because North have some blistering pace across the ground and with Wells and Boomer there is some class to add to that pace. For this reason I desperately hope that Colyer gets the nod ahead of Monfries. In fact I'd give him the nod ahead of Melksham too.

Can't change it now, and seeing my son has ditched Davey as his favorite and moved onto Carlisle please don't tell him I'm writing this!! I would prefer to see Pears in the side ahead of Carlisle. Despite recent form I think we are more flexible and can cover more roles defensively with Pears in the side ahead of Carlisle at this stage. Fletch is the long rangy general needed to marshal a young defense, he can take a resting ruck because of his height or with his marking, speed and reading of the play take a medium. Hooker the big CHB is the guy that takes the number one tall forward. His form has been down a bit over the last few weeks but when the team was up and about he was very good as this allowed him to play in front, which is his strength. Maybe he needs to back himself in no matter how the mids are going. Pears is the big bodied player who can take a key forward but also has the running power to take a medium. For a long time players like Hahn and Kingsley, modern equivalents are Gunstan and Edwards, and these guys have had a field day against us. We need a Pears type in form and in our backline he should be our number 2 defender, with rebounding power, and Carlisle is there for when the opposition try to stretch us. In form Hardingham, Hibberd and Dempsey have a great range of skills and physical attributes that allow us to have a well rounded back six. Carlisle is the guy I see as the long term replacement of Fletch and I'm glad he's had the opportunity to play many games alongside him but come finals time I want a back six of Fletch, Hooker, Pears, Hardingham, Hibberd and Dempsey.

This week with North playing the three talls and having some smalls with real hurt in Boomer and Thomas I'd have loved to see us play Hooker on Petrie, Pears on Tarrant, Carlisle on Hansen and had Fletch switching between Boomer and Thomas. I'd have sent Dempsey into the midfield for one week to do a job on Wells. We need to develop a potential tagger for blistering quick mids like Wells. Dempsey could be that player. In fact I'd like to see us with four or five potential taggers so we can use the right one on the right players. For example Howlett to Murphy, Hocking to Judd, Thompson, Kennedy, Pendlebury and Swallow, Dempsey to Wells, Jetta, Hill, Thomas, Bennell, Hibberd to Johnson, Ablett or Swan.

Like I said I'd like to see some real pace in the side this week so I'm desperate that Colyer is in the side. I'd love to see him playing as an attacking mid off the wing. His run and carry will be important to move the ball quickly forward trying to isolate our tall forwards. The speed of Crameri, Jetta and Davey could really clean up at the feet of Hurley and Gumby. Especially seeing Crameri is also a marking forward and brings great strength. With North loving to attack with run off the half back line Winderlich's combination of pace and discipline would have been very useful this week! This means that Davey and Jetta need to really step up. With Hibberd back we could send Baguely forward to do a role on someone there as in an interview for bomberTV he mentioned he came to Frankston as a forward and played there for a bit, before a switch to the backline.

Please with Goldy one out surely TBell is enough and with Crameri, Hurley and Gumby Hille will be a liability up there with his inability to put any defensive pressure on. Surely he's a genuine emergency!! Also with the 3 tall forwards they can all take turns in pushing up the ground to reduce the load on TBell so he doesn't have to work too hard to provide options forward of centre.

The side I would have selected, and expected to win, is:

B : Fletch Hooker Hardingham
HB: Pears Carlisle Hibberd
C :Colyer Watson Heppell
HF:Jetta Gumby Baguely
F :Crameri Hurley Davey
R :TBell Hocking Dempsey
I :NLM Lee Lonergan
S :Brown

North go into this as favourite on current form but we're a very good shot at this.

Not sure what the match committe think though, apart from disagreeing with me regards Pears. They also have Melksham on the ground.

Agree with much you say, Fishy.

Pears hasn't shown a lot this year, tbh, as much as I love him, and hold out hope that he will regain his confidence. Carlisle has been in pretty handy form, snatching marks consistently, but perhaps not as mobile/attacking as Pears would be, if performing well.

Can't see a role for Hille this week - Belly has the ruck covered, and there is enough height up front. Really getting used to the idea of Belly No.1 FT ruck. He seems to enjoy it, too.

The Dempsey suggestion onto Wells is a good one, as Dempsey also has enough pace/skill to make him accountable, rather than just play a shut-down role.

Disappointing not to have full squad to select from, but we've still got potential best-22 types who are being squeezed out, and there is enough quality to get the job done (and done well) if our heads are right and the application is there. Obviously, a must-win if we're going to make a mark this season and build toward finals. Would be disappointed to lose this, even if we play well, as I believe we've got more quality around the ground.

I agree regards Dempsey being able to hurt the other way. That was part of my attraction to the idea of having that role. It is demoralising for an attacking mid when the guy tagging you hurts your team the other way. I still think there is a mental fragility to Wells and when he goes inside the team can be instructed to crunch him at every opportunity and look for Dempsey to run off him when he gets the chance. I'd also back Dempsey in the air against him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coincidence this has happened. Not at all. Most of hte players from Ess they have been using have been called into the senior side because of injury over that period so they are a bit light on for depth. I think the one that hurts the most not being there for them is Bellchambers. This guy is an absolute gun and getting better every week.

Can't see a role for Hille this week - Belly has the ruck covered, and there is enough height up front. Really getting used to the idea of Belly No.1 FT ruck. He seems to enjoy it, too.

I love belcho as the number 1 ruck, seems to relish the workload, much like goldstein. (now watch norf supporters invade and trash me for comparing them)
What will be interesting is what they do when ryder returns.
I would like to see TBC remain in the number 1 ruck role and just have paddy roam around doing as he pleases, much like what nic nat does when cox pushes into the ruck.

I love belcho as the number 1 ruck, seems to relish the workload, much like goldstein. (now watch norf supporters invade and trash me for comparing them)
What will be interesting is what they do when ryder returns.
I would like to see TBC remain in the number 1 ruck role and just have paddy roam around doing as he pleases, much like what nic nat does when cox pushes into the ruck.

Ryder on the wing, similar to Richo a few years back when he absolutely killed it before doing his hammy?

Hope I'm not tempting fate by mentioning a possible (albeit not likely) positional change and mentioning the H word in the same sentence.

as per usual I'll say Ryder rucks the game so Bellchambers is the unlucky man. But we are paying Ryder 400K-500K (well not now, from next season) so it's kinda important we get the best out of him (or you could ship him off i guess)

But I guess with, here's hoping, no big KPP holes, Ryder could actually play that free roaming role that has so often been dreamt about and he might even be good at it, which could solve a problem or two.

In: Fletcher, Monfries, Crameri, Hibberd, Lee
Out: Slattery, Winderlich, Pears, Hooker, Howlett

Very surprised that they dropped Hooker.

North
In: Adams
Out: Mullett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back