Thank you Luke Shuey

Remove this Banner Ad

Fortunately they didn't pay this free kick in the dying moments of an elimination final

Sounds like some was hoping they'd be playing the flat-trackers next w/e.

Didn't duck, definitely a free. Also less than a minute prior he got pinged holding the ball when he got his head ripped off.

Port player early charged head down like a rhino into a WCE player. Result: free kick for high contact.

You cant just single out players and say "oh because it was him it was have been due to him initiating it" thats a really dangerous way we don't want umpires to head. Umpire just needs to see scenario and call it based on what happens to the best of his knowledge regardless of who it is.

They've already gone down that path you might find.

See the treatment that Hayden Ballantyne routinely gets and the unbelievable comment of "Good to see you're keeping on top of the Ballantyne stuff"

Umpires are heading that way whether you like it or not.

If you watch in real time there is actually a noticable split second where the umpire realises the enormity of what he is about to do and calls it.

The truth is-

1. A player who is tackled and wants to break the tackle is either going to duck or push his arm at the opposition player- if you want to retain possession those are basically the only two options open to you to get out of their grip.

2.in a situation where a player is upright and not noticeably ducking and an opposition player makes heavy contact around their neck, 9/10 times the whistle is going to go because it is the most obvious thing for an umpire to spot - When you bear in mind the complex and fast movements that players go through when tackling or struggling against tackling, it's wishful thinking to suggest umpires are going to be able to figure out what intent people have in sliding their arms in one direction or the other- the practical alternative to the current situation would be to give tacklers free reign to go for the neck as soon as there is a struggle, which seems to me pretty undesirable given everything the AFL says about protecting the call carrier.

Personally I hope Shuey was playing for the kick because it makes it even more clutch than it otherwise would have been. If he was playing for it he's an absolute genius.

Should've been play on but Shuey sucked the umpire in. It's the umpires fault that he payed the decision. Was still a fantastic finish to the game though and Shuey's set shot was clutch. Probably one of the best finishes to a game I've seen.

They've already gone down that path you might find.

See the treatment that Hayden Ballantyne routinely gets and the unbelievable comment of "Good to see you're keeping on top of the Ballantyne stuff"

Umpires are heading that way whether you like it or not.

Maybe i'm being too idealistic.
I hope its nothing more than a mirage.. it shouldn't be happening.
Hard to say they have "clamped down" on certain players behaviours though, just look how long Duckwood has been able to get away with his s**t.

If you watch it in real time and live.. its a massive call and it did look like he caught him high. I thought it was a free kick on live viewing.
With the gift of multiple slow motion replays and in depth analysis.. well probably not, I don't think the umpire necessarily got it right or wrong, its just one of those tough calls.

I think that is the point. I thought he ripped his head off live. From memory the ump was right of screen as well so he couldn't even see Shuey's arm. 2 of the umps were shocking tonight but I think it was evenly shocking and I think most of the s**t free kicks were points anyway and we didn't score from the deliberate. The umps didn't change the result. It still doesn't change the fact that Shuey cheated and it has cost us our season. If I was a Port player I would make sure he feared for his safety every time we play him. I'd be in his ear saying 'you wasted a year of our lives I'm going to dedicate myself to hurting you' and target him at every play.

I think that is the point. I thought he ripped his head off live. From memory the ump was right of screen as well so he couldn't even see Shuey's arm. 2 of the umps were shocking tonight but I think it was evenly shocking and I think most of the s**t free kicks were points anyway and we didn't score from the deliberate. The umps didn't change the result. It still doesn't change the fact that Shuey cheated and it has cost us our season. If I was a Port player I would make sure he feared for his safety every time we play him. I'd be in his ear saying 'you wasted a year of our lives I'm going to dedicate myself to hurting you' and target him at every play.

I disagree with the targeting Shuey part... these guys are professionals footballers and need to move on, bigger fish to fry.
But yes you're right, theres 2 seperate issues... 1. the umpiring decision which I don't think was necessarily a bad one in the circumstances and 2. Shuey getting away with those tactics to pull free kick's and tonight was just an example of how that can have massive fall out.

Umpires need to be armed and prepared to not blow the whistle if they see those tactics being employed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i like the way you think

For all the peanuts who still don't get it and saying "he didn't duck so its a free".... ducking is only one of the ways you can contribute to the high contact.
elbow raising, knee dropping, shrugging.... there's multiple ways one can be held responsible for high contact and therefore not be awarded a free kick.

For all the peanuts who still don't get it and saying "he didn't duck so its a free".... ducking is only one of the ways you can contribute to the high contact.
elbow raising, knee dropping, shrugging.... there's multiple ways one can be held responsible for high contact and therefore not be awarded a free kick.

And then you get all the peanuts who say he ducked.

I believe one of the commentators (Darcy or Richo) disagreed with your statement post match.

Not sure who but they were saying that it was a free and that the umpires were pretty good tonight.

Yeah nah was a free. He didn't duck into it.

Port got the rub of the green overall, that touched goal they got in the 3rd, pittard push not resulting in an overturned free and the dodgy deliberate against the Eagles towards the end of the 4th.

Also ports missed chances, if Dixon and co had converted then they wouldn't of even been in this situation
This! Poetic justice!

What about the s**t goal review that was clear as day was touched but given a goal to Port?

What about all the behinds scored by Port.

Or does everyone have short memories that only the last seconds matter?
Do you mean the one soccered off the ground by Kennedy which was touched by Howard off the boot but wasn't even reviewed?

Ultimately we kicked ourselves out of a win but that tackle shrug was staged and we all knew it, except the umpire.
Look at the view where Shuey is on the ground from the tackle. He knew he'd sucked the umpire in.

I believe one of the commentators (Darcy or Richo) disagreed with your statement post match.

Not sure who but they were saying that it was a free and that the umpires were pretty good tonight.

Not sure I would take anyone that said the umpires were good tonight seriously. There were just some laughably bad decisions. I am not really going to get angry about a decision that the ump was caught on the wrong side of ... but there was some blatant overumpiring with the umps trying to be heroes and getting it dead wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back