The 50 Greatest 20 years on. Who's in? Who's out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Peak will obviously come into it.

You have always used "chasing championships" by teaming up with others as a negative for Garnett and LeBron when putting them on GOAT lists. Surely Barkley is in exactly the same basket as those two when comparing him to Malone (even if he didn't win one).

fwiw I have Garnett>Dirk, though it's not by much.
Chasing championships is definitely a negative IMO. The way blokes try to team up today instead of wanting to beat eachother is s**t IMO.

Barkley only chased when he went to Houston and failed. Malone failed too when he chased in LA.

Chasing championships is definitely a negative IMO. The way blokes try to team up today instead of wanting to beat eachother is s**t IMO.

Barkley only chased when he went to Houston and failed. Malone failed too when he chased in LA.

So Barkley didn't chase a championship when he left Philly in his prime to team up with a Top 3 Point Guard in the league in Kevin Johnson and one of the best shooters going around in Dan Majerle (and a pretty good supporting cast around that)? Please. He gave up on Philly.

Also when Malone left Utah, he was 93. I don't think the stigma of someone that is past his prime moving around is nearly as bad. If he had of won a championship with LA I don't think it changes where he sits in the GOAT lists.

Last edited:
So Barkley didn't chase a championship when he left Philly in his prime to team up with a Top 3 Point Guard in the league in Kevin Johnson and one of the best shooters going around in Dan Majerle (and a pretty good supporting cast around that)? Please. He gave up on Philly.

Also when Malone left Utah, he was 93. I don't think the stigma of someone that is past his prime moving around is nearly as bad. If he had of won a championship with LA I don't think it changes where he sits in the GOAT lists.
He didnt leave Philly as a FA and signed on to wherever he wanted. He was traded to Phoenix. Sure he demanded the trade because Philly sucked but he didnt control where he landed. He did well in Phoenix but couldnt get over the hump. He was certainly chasing a ring when he went to Houston.

Oh cmon, Malone leaving for LA to join Shaq and Kobe and Payton and they had all those cover shoot photos on Sports Illustrated and s**t. That was the epitome of chasing a championship. He went and joined the best team in the league, but he and Payton actually made them worse and the Lakers fell apart. I lol'd.

He didnt leave Philly as a FA and signed on to wherever he wanted. He was traded to Phoenix. Sure he demanded the trade because Philly sucked but he didnt control where he landed. He did well in Phoenix but couldnt get over the hump. He was certainly chasing a ring when he went to Houston.

Oh cmon, Malone leaving for LA to join Shaq and Kobe and Payton and they had all those cover shoot photos on Sports Illustrated and s**t. That was the epitome of chasing a championship. He went and joined the best team in the league, but he and Payton actually made them worse and the Lakers fell apart. I lol'd.

I'm pretty sure Charles had a say in where he ended up. He was never going to go to a bad team.

Comparing a 107 year old Malone leaving Utah to prime LeBron, Charles, Garnett leaving their teams is a terrible comparison. I didn't say he wasn't chasing, I'm saying that no one cares once you get (way) past your prime.

And just for the record, the Lakers team actually improved that season (by 6 wins) and progressed 2 further rounds into the playoffs. Wish when teams I supported "fell apart" they made the Finals.

I'm pretty sure Charles had a say in where he ended up. He was never going to go to a bad team.

Comparing a 107 year old Malone leaving Utah to prime LeBron, Charles, Garnett leaving their teams is a terrible comparison. I didn't say he wasn't chasing, I'm saying that no one cares once you get (way) past your prime.

And just for the record, the Lakers team actually improved that season (by 6 wins) and progressed 2 further rounds into the playoffs. Wish when teams I supported "fell apart" they made the Finals.
Well they fell apart in the Finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back