The 90s thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've only really known one person born in the 1920s (a much older sister of my grandfather who ran away from home with an American soldier during WWII). She was still pretty lucid into my adulthood and died in 2012. I'm sure I've talked to others over the years, like near-retirement teachers, old people on my paper route, at the churches I went to regularly in my childhood, and in retirement homes I visited. But all my grandparents were born in the 1930s so my link to before then is limited to second-hand memories.

Last edited:

My grandpa fought in WWII and was a POW in Italy - I have posted a poem/story he wrote on here a few times.

Both of mum's parents are still alive - born in 1925, they're 94. Always interesting hear them talk about stuff when they grew up.
Life must be a trip for them these days, born in the era of horse and cart, alive in the iphone world.

Office Space - great late '90s film written and directed by Mike Judge, unfortunately 20th Century Fox f’ed up when it came to promoting the film with its s**t posters and s**t trailers.

Such a great movie. Very quotable.

"You've been missing a lot of work lately"

"I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob!"

Christopher Hitchens (born 1949 Portsmouth, died 2011 Houston) said his American graduate students thought he was bullshitting about growing up with steam locomotives and soot everywhere.

When Britain was injected with American money after World War II they could've spent it on upgrading infrastructure or preserving the dying empire. You can probably guess which one they picked.

Being born in the 1890s would be challenging (in Australian terms anyway), as you spend your childhood in a depression, go to WWI as a young adult (or sweetheart/family member), experience the depression when raising a family, then are still young enough to go to WWII or see their sons go off. A '90s kid then was facing a bumpy road ahead.
I think at one point in 1890's Melbourne was the most well off place in the world.
But yeah, if they were born then, not much fun period to live life through world wars, depressions etc.

Not sure if I even know anyone born in that period.
I find it amazing some families that actually known grand parents and even great grand parents.

I do enjoy listening to older people tell of how things were like when they were young but not known much in my own family.
I have one elder auntie but she is a bit eccentric so anything I ask for has never really get answers the really help me understand the things I want to understand of her time. I'd love to time travel to understand different times but not to stay in those times...lol
Would not want have grown up any other time than I did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think at one point in 1890's Melbourne was the most well off place in the world.
Yeah that is true. Australia was seen internationally as an exciting opportunity for more egalitarian democracy at the time, a new social experiment, and living standards sometime around then were world's best, even better than in the USA. But the 1890s depression did eventually hit Australia with severity. Being an indigenous person might have been even harder then, as the exclusionary measures that came in with Federation would have seen life become tougher than it already was.

As said in my post, in Australian terms it would be tough, but I'm sure many other countries can point to periods of near constant turmoil which Australia could barely fathom.

One of the best things about the 90s was Norm Macdonald hosting Weekend Update on SNL where he went to town calling out OJ as a murderer.

It was one of the most popular segments on SNL back then but Norm got sacked for making too many OJ is a murderer jokes by one of the top NBC execs who was friends with OJ.

He told Norm he was sacked for not being funny which is as ridiculous as OJ not being a murderer as Norm is one of the funniest campaigners going around.

Last edited:
It was one of the most popular segments on SNL back then but Norm got sacked for making too many OJ is a murderer jokes by one of the top NBC execs who was friends with OJ.

He told Norm he was sacked for not being funny which is as ridiculous as OJ not being a murderer as Norm is one of the funniest campaigners going around.

Don't last long at Saturday Night Live if you want to do actual satire or Speak Truth To Powa Etc. Piss weak show where everybody they make fun of can feel safe about coming on.

I was walking on Omaha beach in Normandy the day that the OJ's low speed chase happened. Funny the things you remember.

That OJ scandal was huge back in the 90s, it was big news in Australia but even bigger in the States where they had live coverage of the car chase and then they had live coverage of the courtroom and then there was all the controversy of the not guilty verdict, hard to believe he got acquitted.

People think the Epstein/Prince Andrew scandal is big now but it is nothing compared to what the OJ scandal was like back in the 90s.

Don't last long at Saturday Night Live if you want to do actual satire or Speak Truth To Powa Etc. Piss weak show where everybody they make fun of can feel safe about coming on.

Weekend Update with Norm lasted a few years and it was a lot edgier than anything SNL had done on Weekend Update before or since, Norm got one of the best writers at SNL on his side in Jim Downey and they separated themselves from the rest of SNL and wrote Weekend Update together where it used to be a group effort.

They went to town with Michael Jackson paedophile jokes too. Lorne Michaels let them get away with it as it was one of the most popular segments on SNL but the higher ups at NBC weren't happy with it, they were ruffling too many feathers and it wasn't safe enough comedy for mainstream television.

Norm went on Letterman just after he got axed which is a revealing interview, Letterman was a fan of Norm and vice versa and Dave wasn't happy to hear that Norm got sacked by NBC. Keep in mind Letterman had been overlooked for the NBC Tonight Show gig in favour of Leno after Carson retired as Leno was seen as a safer comedian than Letterman so he had an axe to grind with NBC too and Letterman was a lot like Norm, neither gave a f*** who they offended as long as it was funny.

We were flying out of LA during the Rodney King riots. We thought we might not make it to the airport.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was in the States when Columbine happened back in 1999, I was living in Virginia at the time and not Colorado but it still felt a lot closer to home.

The other big disaster when I was there in 1999 was Norm's tv show debuting on ABC.

I'm probably the only one here that remembers it as I don't think it was shown in Australia..

Norm just played himself as he can't act for s**t, they had a good support cast with Artie Lange and Laurie Metcalf from Roseanne but it still stank.

My grandpa fought in WWII and was a POW in Italy - I have posted a poem/story he wrote on here a few times.

Both of mum's parents are still alive - born in 1925, they're 94. Always interesting hear them talk about stuff when they grew up.

You're very lucky to have such long-lived ancestry....Both of my parents have already passed away & all the blokes - on both sides of the family - usually cark it from a heart-attack, dead on 60 (pardon the pun).....So I've got a fair idea as to when I'm going to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Death has never really bothered me.

OJ Simpson craziness and Pincess Di death, were crazy times. I not even sure the Berlin Wall coming down was covered as much.

Probably 1960s when president Kennedy shot and Malcolm X stuff going on, was crazier decade in terms of what the media would have covered.
When was Malcolm X movie made ? 1990's. should watch it again.

The other big disaster when I was there in 1999 was Norm's tv show debuting on ABC.

I'm probably the only one here that remembers it as I don't think it was shown in Australia..

Norm just played himself as he can't act for s**t, they had a good support cast with Artie Lange and Laurie Metcalf from Roseanne but it still stank.

Norm aired here, at least a couple episodes. Remember watching and the sister from Roseanne being in it.

American sitcoms in the 90s through to the 00s were obsessed with being set in New York. The Drew Carey Show and Frasier were a couple long-running exceptions. Funnily, Frasier's w***er characters would've fit right in in New York.

True story: Frasier was set in Seattle because Cheers was in Boston. They needed a reason for Cheers characters to never be around, so other side of the country.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back