The AFL are not corrupt, so please stop saying they are

Remove this Banner Ad

ShriekingShack

Senior List
Jun 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It is an extremely regular occurrence for the AFL to be accused of corruption on this forum. Every time something negative happens, the masses immediately begin lamenting the endemic corruption that supposedly exists at the very top of the tree in this organisation.

Boy do I have a newsflash for you: YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!!

The AFL are not corrupt. Have they made poor decisions before? Absolutely. But they have never been corrupt. Here are just some of the reasons why.

1. The AFL is under extremely intense media scrutiny. If it was a cesspool of corruption it would have come out by now.

2. The sacking of the playboy executives was an example of transparency. They could have pretended it never happened, but instead came out on the front foot in an honest and forthright manner.

3. They have always strongly condemned shady activity of any type.

4. Gambling revenue is not evidence of corruption. It is a legal source of income.

5. The executives have never been proven to be corrupt by a court of law.

So people please stop embarrassing yourselves with your tin foil hats. The AFL are not corrupt and there is not a shred of evidence to suggest otherwise. I hope this thread makes those who repeatedly say this think twice.

THE AFL IS NOT CORRUPT. Go back to your uni books and buzzwords and please stop trying to smear the people who make sacrifices to ensure the smooth running of our great game.

CORRUPTION DOES NOT EXIST IN THE AFL!

Define corrupt.

The Urban Dictionary definition is best and sums up the AFL perfectly......

corrupt
Containing alterations, foreign admixture, or errors. Deteriorated from the normal or standard; specifically a) morally unsound or debased; perverted; evil; depraved. b) taking bribes
Someone changed the letters of the word I typed, from 'associations' to "assiciations.' The same person who corrupted the spelling of my word is morally depraved and thinks there is a rank in the armed forces of who has to have sex with who. He even stole my $5,000 CD certificate when it came due by having prearranged for the bank teller to hand one of them back to him with his name on it instead of mine.

The OP is dead wrong. The AFL is as corrupt as they come

They've co-opted the media into toeing the party line, got them writing exactly what they want them to write and saying what they want them to say. Anyone who dares to lash out at them is threatened with having their media pass revoked (or sacked like Grant Thomas).

They pull all kinds of s**t to get their way and make deals with clubs in return for their support - the old divide and conquer strategy which has worked like a charm with most clubs sticking their hand out for money, concessions or sweet fixtures. Clubs don't dare get them offside or else they get shafted with a bad fixture. Just look at Hawthorn's home games in 2012 after Kennett outmanoeuvred them with our Tassie deal and thwarted their plans for North.

They rigged the Brownlow votes to avoid the controversy of suspended Dangerfield & Fyfe polling more votes than Martin & Priddis. Just look at the votes over the final rounds and tell me they weren't keeping score...

They did everything they could to shepherd Essendon through the doping scandal with minimal damage to league finances.. A less corrupt, more heavy-handed admin would've fast-tracked proceedings, banned the 34 players and made Essendon forfeit the 2014 season without any draft picks at the end of the year. But for them, it was all about damage control. Not justice and fair play. The "governance" punishment they meted out was just window dressing. It sounded good at the time, but it was the MINIMUM they could hit the Bombers with.

The MRP & Tribunal findings are just a joke to anyone who plays close attention.

Their favoured clubs receive all sorts of preferential treatment.

New rules and policies are invented as they go along, or just cast aside as they see fit, hoping nobody remembers or kicks up too much of a stink

Fans, clubs members and AFL members are constantly bent over by the AFL. Just look at the way they handle the fixturing and ticketing

Basically, the AFL runs a big crooked game where the idea is to rake in as much money as they can for the stakeholders while giving us fans the veneer that we're following a fair competition. There is nothing fair about it.

As for crooked umpiring, if there was any, I wouldn't blame the AFL like most tinfoil hat wearers. I'd blame football betting interests. Associates of the big betting corporations and maybe big punters. But one thing is 100% certain. If the AFL actually uncovered match-fixing, they would quietly remove the umpire involved and sweep it under the rug - just like they try to sweep everything else under the rug... Because they are corrupt.

Bottom line: the AFL has sold their souls for the TV dollars and corporate sponsorship. Everything they do is geared towards maximising those revenue streams and hitting their KPIs. This includes artificially propping up expansion clubs in the rugby states and protecting their "franchise players". So when Victorian clubs offer MILLIONS to Jeremy Cameron, Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel, Tom Lynch or even Jonathan Brown when he was at Brisbane and they're unable to prise them loose, I always just roll my eyes and think "Yeah, you're dreaming"

Last edited:
It is an extremely regular occurrence for the AFL to be accused of corruption on this forum. Every time something negative happens, the masses immediately begin lamenting the endemic corruption that supposedly exists at the very top of the tree in this organisation.

The AFL are not corrupt. Have they made poor decisions before? Absolutely. But they have never been corrupt. Here are just some of the reasons why.

1. The AFL is under extremely intense media scrutiny. If it was a cesspool of corruption it would have come out by now.

2. The sacking of the playboy executives was an example of transparency. They could have pretended it never happened, but instead came out on the front foot in an honest and forthright manner.

4. Gambling revenue is not evidence of corruption. It is a legal source of income.

So people please stop embarrassing yourselves with your tin foil hats. The AFL are not corrupt and there is not a shred of evidence to suggest otherwise. I hope this thread makes those who repeatedly say this think twice.

THE AFL IS NOT CORRUPT. Go back to your uni books and buzzwords and please stop trying to smear the people who make sacrifices to ensure the smooth running of our great game.

To say it isn’t with capital letters like that shows that your AFL worldview cannot be altered otherwise you might have a mental breakdown. There is a possibility that it could be corrupt. Personally I don’t think it is, but it is a possibility. But I do agree with you, there are way too many posters accusing the AFL of corruption flippantly.

The OP is dead wrong

The AFL is corrupt as they come

They've co-opted the media into writing exactly what they want them to write and anyone who dares to lash out them is threatened with having their media pass revoked (or sacked like Grant Thomas).

They rigged the Brownlow votes to avoid the controversy of suspended Dangerfield & Fyfe polling more votes than Martin & Priddis. Just look at the votes over the final rounds ands tell me they weren't keeping score...

They did everything they could to shepherd Essendon through the doping scandal with minimal damage to league finances.. A less corrupt, more heavy-handed admin would've fast-tracked proceedings, banned the 34 players and made Essendon forfeit the 2014 season without any draft picks at the end of the year. But for them, it was all about damage control. Not justice. The "governance" punishment they meted out was just window dressing.

The MRP & Tribunal findings are just a joke to anyone who plays close attention.

Their favoured clubs receive all sorts of preferential treatment.

Fans, clubs members and AFL members are constantly bent over by the AFL. Just look at the way they handle the fixturing and ticketing

Basically, the AFL runs a big crooked game where the idea is to rake in as much money as they can for the stakeholders while giving us fans the veneer that we're following a fair competition. There is nothing fair about it.
so the three peat was illegitimate.
we knew it!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah we know they are Aussies who are. Whiter than white

Remove this Banner Ad

Back