The AFL are not corrupt, so please stop saying they are

Remove this Banner Ad

9400904-3x2-700x467.jpg

It is an extremely regular occurrence for the AFL to be accused of corruption on this forum. Every time something negative happens, the masses immediately begin lamenting the endemic corruption that supposedly exists at the very top of the tree in this organisation.

Boy do I have a newsflash for you: YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!!

The AFL are not corrupt. Have they made poor decisions before? Absolutely. But they have never been corrupt. Here are just some of the reasons why.

1. The AFL is under extremely intense media scrutiny. If it was a cesspool of corruption it would have come out by now.

2. The sacking of the playboy executives was an example of transparency. They could have pretended it never happened, but instead came out on the front foot in an honest and forthright manner.

3. They have always strongly condemned shady activity of any type.

4. Gambling revenue is not evidence of corruption. It is a legal source of income.

5. The executives have never been proven to be corrupt by a court of law.

So people please stop embarrassing yourselves with your tin foil hats. The AFL are not corrupt and there is not a shred of evidence to suggest otherwise. I hope this thread makes those who repeatedly say this think twice.

THE AFL IS NOT CORRUPT. Go back to your uni books and buzzwords and please stop trying to smear the people who make sacrifices to ensure the smooth running of our great game.

CORRUPTION DOES NOT EXIST IN THE AFL!

1. The media is in the AFL's pocket.

Evidence of this is when Andrew Demetriou left the country to go to the Olympics, when the Essendon saga reached its peak, as well as numerous other issues that Vlad had to deal with at the time.

When he came back, the media hardly brought this up, and when they did, he gave some long-winded bullshit answer which not one person picked him up on, or went further with the questioning.

Also, how the media put most of their focus on James Hird and Essendon during the supplements saga, and didn't hold the AFL to as much account for their role in the drama.

Grant Thomas is someone who has always thought that the AFL was corrupt. He said that the footy media are afraid of the commission, since members of the media sit on "Hall-Of-Fame" boards and "Norm Smith Medal" panels, and if they go after the tops dogs in the AFL, they may lose some of their "priviledges" such as their media accreditation pass suddenly not scanning on Grand Final day.

2. That was a PC exercise to appeal to feminazis and Leftist clowns. Why were only the men sacked, and not the women? One of the women was married as well, and both affairs were consensual.

3. Well, no-one is going to admit to being shady.

4 & 5 I agree with you.

I'm not sure what the correct definition of curuption should be for this topic.

Ian Collins was an interesting fellow. Interesting player dealings in his time at Carlton, goes to a very senior AFL position, Carlton get punished for what he took part in, goes back to Carlton and moves them to Docklands instead of the MCG.

Michael Fitzpatrick's call to Richard Colless after learning they signed Buddy was interesting. Not sure if deliberately loading the dice with salary cap concessions is corruption or marketing but it took taking Buddy from GWS against the wishes of the AFL for that ride to end.

James Hird claims a tip off about the drugs investigation. Maybe Hird isn't a reliable witness but there were people at the AFL who got a fright at the time. Some serious implications if Hird was right.

There have been some interesting happenings over the years.

They are corrupt (at the very least) in the context of arbitration of a sporting competition - have continually proven over and over that revenue is the priority over the game being treated as a sporting competition

Well, focusing on revenue means that they stay in business. They need money coming in.

If being a sporting competition should be a priority over revenue, then go follow local footy.

I have more problem with the AFL wanting to be a "microcosm of societial virtue" rather than just a sporting competition.

Hang on a sec....

That's a disgrace.:D:oops::thumbsdown:

They might have done some stuff that's a bit suspect, but I don't think they're fixing matches.
I didn't say the AFL were fixing matches

I said if matches were being fixed - and some of them probably are - then we won't know about it because the AFL would cover it up. Their so-called "integrity" unit probably exists to sniff out any shenanigans and nip it in the bud before it becomes a national story and a stain on the game like the Essendon doping scandal.

We just hear puff pieces about Heath Shaw or some assistant coach placing a few $20 bets on the Brownlow. These are just window dressing stories designed to let everyone know the AFL is keeping tabs on the betting. We will never hear about umpires or players on the take because they'll deal with it in-house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

clearly the tigers winning is a product of afl match fixing. how can you ignore such damning evidence!

Scheduling Geelong (who finished higher than Richmond) the first week in a "home" final at the MCG, instead of Symons Stadium, was corrupt.

But then, the AFL have been trying to get rid of Geelong Football Club for years.

It really depends on your definition.

I don't think there is wholesale matchfixing going on in the sense of players, coaches or umpires being sent out there with a directive that 'Team X will win by 4 goals'.

I do think that most supposedly impartial aspects of football like the match review panel, brownlow medal voting, the draw, the salary cap etc are shamelessly manipulated to affect onfield results and increase the chance of the outcomes the AFL wants.

The MRP and tribunal during a final series is basically Gil with his hands up some arse puppets.

Managed outcomes is exactly right with the latest incident being the ridiculous compo pick around the Ablett/Motlop fiasco. The AFL wanted to help out the struggling Suns and get their promotional figure Ablett back to Geelong and made sure it happened. Instead of just having a set of rules and sticking to them they skirt around them when it suits the outcome they desire. The list of managed outcomes is extremely, extremely long.

Gillon wouldn't know the meaning of corruption, so they can't be corrupt. ;)

I'd say the way they handled the Essendon doping scandal proves they are pretty corrupt and totally lacking in integrity.

Managed outcomes is exactly right with the latest incident being the ridiculous compo pick around the Ablett/Motlop fiasco. The AFL wanted to help out the struggling Suns and get their promotional figure Ablett back to Geelong and made sure it happened. Instead of just having a set of rules and sticking to them they skirt around them when it suits the outcome they desire. The list of managed outcomes is extremely, extremely long.
As much as I dislike the crows in some parts, There were 2 examples of where the crows were on the receiving end or the victim of corruption.

1. That infamous Dogs vs Crows game at docklands in 2016. Yes that game where Troy Pannell was the umpire of that game. He gave up 18 free kicks in the 1st 3 quarters. 17 to the dogs and 1 to the crows. Still remember that last quarter, crows were robbed of free kicks in the forward 50 a few times. Dogs eventually won that game too. On a normal day, umpires make the occasion mistake or 2 and either gave a free kick that wasn't justifiable or don't give one when it looks like it should be one such as a tackle from behind which is interpreted as a push in the back. But that day, the umpires didn't even hide the fact they wanted a certain team to win. If that wasn't corruption, I don't know what is.

2. The Kurt tippet saga. Been through this before... Crows Board gave Kurt Tippett a contract extension at the end of 2010 to Prevent him going to the Gold Coast suns. Then it was later revealed there were dodgy 3rd party payments which breached the crows salary cap for during the 2011 and 2012 seasons. Crows gave up their 2012 1st and 2nd rounders just before the 2012 draft. The AFL decided to punish the crows by stripping them of their 2013 1st and 2nd rounders too.

Essendon, on the other hand, were punished for using banned substances and using players as human guinea pigs for drug taking for 4 years. Essendons punishment: loss of a 1st round pick.

So you lose your 1std 2nd rounders for 2 years for breaching the salary cap. Yet you only lose a 1st round pick for using 34 players as human guinea pigs not knowing the effects 20-30 years down the track?

Yeah.... the AFL isn't corrupt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back