The back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our back 6 is in a sad state, and it's biggset area of concern.

Ziebel and Hall finished
Mckay is dumb and can't play in a zone defence
Mcdonald just going at the moment. Based off his career so far he's just an average player.
Corr, shown nothing to convince us he's a longterm solution
Bonar, Young, Dawson aren't going to make it.
Archer looks limited and at this stage a pure lock down defender
Not sure what Goater's best position will be, but a lot to work with.

That leaves Logue and Bergman as the only two ticks moving forward in the back 6.

Free agency looks like it might be an issue for us because of the Mckay situation, so it needs to be addressed through trade, delisted free agents or the draft.
I'd be starting with the MSD draft, take 2 picks Teal with our first and lets have a look at Ryley Stoddart.

Ziebel and Hall finished
Mcdonald just going at the moment. Based off his career so far he's just an average player.

That leaves Logue and Bergman as the only two ticks moving forward in the back 6.

Free agency looks like it might be an issue for us because of the Mckay situation, so it needs to be addressed through trade, delisted free agents or the draft.
I'd be starting with the MSD draft, take 2 picks Teal with our first and lets have a look at Ryley Stoddart.

Yeah our defence is cooked no question.

Logue is a weapon though.

The next layer we need to recruit and draft for. We all know our mids are set for the next 10 years.
Forward line looks very promising if Comben gets on a calcium only diet, we draft the Wizard and with Boy George coming in next year.
Backline is mish-mash of old timers holding down the fort in Ziebs, Hall, McDonald. Logue is amazing but has one foot that just got in the door in and we have Ben McKay that has one foot out the door. Bergman is like the perfect role player. We have 2/6 pieces we need in that backline essentially.

reckon we could possibly have greenwood a stop gap measure in the backline, but your right we do need a couple of bookends ergently or we will be in the dilemma that footscray was when they couldnt find a KPF for ages. at least KPDs are more plentiful, general KPFs that cant kick.

The balance is way off.

We cannot afford to play McKay, Logue and Corr in the same team. We absolutely cannot do it with Ziebell and LMac. Icebergs move faster.

For some reason we didn't get the memo that 'HBFs are the biggest weapon in the game' until every other team did.

We had Hall but he looks completely done.

We tried Stephenson but he was exposed defensively and it looks like Clarkson sees him as a forward.

Scott provided a lot of run from the back half last year.

Perez looks like the 2 knee recos may have ruined his career (I'd give him another season and try and boost his confidence).

Bonar is a liability. His reaction time is far too slow.

I rate Archer and I think he showed a lot in the games he played. We need a lockdown defender.

I think Goater and Thomas are our big hopes. Athletic and great users of the ball.

I like a back 6 of:

Bergman - McKay - Ziebell
Goater - Logue - TT

Get rid of Bonar, Young, and Dawson
Persist with Archer and Perez
LMac takes Ziebell's position
Not sire what to do with Corr

Ziebel and Hall finished

Ziebell's earned another year but agree with the rest.

Given that we're looking reasonably stacked with medium forwards, I wouldn't mind seeing TT and Sheezel rotating through half back in 2024.

McKay for Port's Bergman would be a net plus. Need to sign an experienced KPD as a priority. But who?

They aren't the most glamorous picks.

But we need to invest in some just solid general defenders in the next few drafts.

We tried year after year to nail some of these types and failed, so we had to move on (Nielsen, EVW, Hibberd, Watson, Williams, Junker, Hayden, Crocker was a lot of sunk draft capital....)

McDonald should be one, but he's a terrible defender.

We need our own Quaynor, Michalanney etc.

The best general defenders of each draft (because they aren't glamorous) generally fall around picks 15-20 of each draft, which should be right in the Port pick range if we require it.

Locks for medium term - Logue, Bergman, Goater

Stick around short-term because not world beaters but competitive - Ziebell, McDonald (as much as he annoys me)

Find a space for a 2nd tall. Corr for now, even though he’s exceptionally mediocre. Dawson, Bonar should get a gig in the run home for 3-4 weeks each. Draft 1. Pick a cheap unfashionable dour type as a FA (Melican?) - Pies have Nathan Murphy, Lions have Jack Payne, Cats have Kolodjashnij - all good sides have that dour spoil first defender.

McKay is out the door.
Hall is done.

Perez and Archer need time still. Not the first to be delisted but not best 22.

So 2024 round 1:
B: Bergman, Logue, Ziebell
HB: Goater, Corr, McDonald

Depth: Perez, Archer, Dawson/Bonar, draft pick KD
Positional switches: Thomas, Sheezel (both to play a Jordan Dawson type role of going back when we need composure but playing elsewhere during the game).

Ziebel and Hall finished

McKay is the biggest issue in that back 6.

His half arsed attempts at defending is a big reason that the back 6 has no cohension.

It’s not an accident at all that the best we have looked down in defence, was when he was out of the side. His return has correlated in it turning into a shitshow.

Time for him to have a spell and have a think about if he wants to be a part of the club?

B - Bergman BMac Corr
HB - TT Logue Goater

7th defender - Archer. If TT leaves/can't play then Powell or Tucker go in there.

That is a good blend of size, run, kicking skills and lock down capability.

We have to move on from the LMAc's and JZ's - they simply do not have the skill set to play successfully in the back half in modern day football.

You can find them. Hawks have Frosty ffs, Pies got Frampton, Dogs got Jones. They didn't cost the world.
MSD an option as well. We don't really have that Sam Taylor/Darcy Moore/De Koning modern defender thought that's for sure.

The backline looked great in round 2 against Freo.

In fact we have been in most games where its only 2 of Logue, Corr and McKay playing.

All 3 can't play together along with Ziebell and McDonald down there.

Right now I'd be backing in Corr over McKay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not think we should retain Ziebs next year. He is a poor one-on-one defender and his kicking has deteriorated from a hot start.

Still provides the odd inspirational spoil into the crowd but, bluntly, loose defender is the easiest role in AFL.

Frankly, I think the whole backline would function better if he were out of the side.

Ziebell has been huge this year, would be sitting top 5 in b&f.

But yesterday he was awful, he gave away a silly free kick and then burnt Bergman badly through the centre in the first 2 minutes. Then unfortunately for us and Jack it turned to complete shite after that.

He’s a watch on next season depending on his finish to this year.

I’m not against keeping Sheezel in the back half, he’s a good user and can find the footy. Add in Logue, Bergman and Goater. BMac seems to have checked out, so play Corr. JZ and LMac are short term solutions for now.

I’d like to see Ford given a preseason down back and I’d also like to see more of Powell down there, I believe both have attributes that could make them defensive weapons.

Also wouldn’t mind seeing Tucker down there for a bit.

Answorth is stuck in the 2s in Brissie - he has a long term contract but could be worth trying to prise out

There is a number of players around the league in similar situations to Answorth like Josh Sinn for example. Himmelberg and Broad are free agents.
Bergman, Ash out of contract. A Whitfield salary dump.
I haven’t given up on DGB.

Some will cost a lot, some will be cheap as chips and some unattainable.

The point is there are plenty of players around, identity them and get to work on building a back 6.

Always Sunny Fx GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Every time it goes down there I think here we go, what crazy thing will happen this time to lose a goal

Three from yesterday

BMac (instinctive I guess) touches the ball and gets a 50m

Allowing Green to stroll through like the No 96 from Bundoora that stoppage for that goal

JZ possibly could have marked but chooses to smash the ball not away, but straight to front and centre and ball sails back over his head

Remove this Banner Ad

Back