The back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Corr that bad on the weekend? He came in at the start of the fourth quarter and got a fair bit of the ball and didn't * anything up from memory.
He was decent and is my preferred 3rd tall option over Ziebell

B: Corr McKay McDonald
HB: Bergman Logue Perez/Goater

Harley Reid would go alright playing the Hodge-type role across half back.

I also think that Comben would be a monstrous presence across the backline. But he also looked pretty nice up forward and I'm not sure if we need to move him around.

How many of those were repeat entries from the hack kick or the un-imaginative kick ins of Ziebell, McDonald and Corr? Why Is Sheezel not kicking in anymore. He had a couple of turn overs in Adelaide after receiving a severe corkie and now we have to put up with this rubbish. Give Powell the odd kick in whilst we are at it. Get the young blokes involved.
So I watched the last quarter - when Corr was subbed on again and he was fine. Didn't stuff things up, his kick ins were better tha JZs (sometimes Hall absolutely nails the kick ins, not as much as he used to tho. I remember one where he hit tarryn thomas in space right at the centre circle and Thomas ran forward and goaled. Two kicks from their behind to our goal.) He used all of the space available to him and hit CCJ right on the wing, he then brought the ball to ground.

I would play TT and Stevo off half back this week again at the dogs as the distributes. I would rest Hall and Bergman. I would bring in Corr in for jz. I think TT/Sleevo would excel at marvel on the fast deck. Better to to lose trying something new

Yesterday Corr pointed to McKay to cover Weightman who was heading over to the pocket. McKay was on a player in the goalsquare already. Corr just wandered up towards the 50. The ball was marked by Weightman.
Seems bizarre behaviour even if they are playing to some kind of a system.

Yesterday Corr pointed to McKay to cover Weightman who was heading over to the pocket. McKay was on a player in the goalsquare already. Corr just wandered up towards the 50. The ball was marked by Weightman.
Seems bizarre behaviour even if they are playing to some kind of a system.

I posted in another thread that Corr looks slow, reactive, very lazy and lacks care with his disposal and just doesn’t have his head in the game to the point of looking disinterested at times.

I posted in another thread that Corr looks slow, reactive, very lazy and lacks care with his disposal and just doesn’t have his head in the game to the point of looking disinterested at times.
That play that was just described had me thinking the same thing, but i thought he was good in the last quarter last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s average in a poor side. Said it and got howled done before the trade period, but this bloke ain’t even remotely worth the gravy train we gave him. Should have offered 70% of that salary to DGB
We may yet...?!

He’s average in a poor side. Said it and got howled done before the trade period, but this bloke ain’t even remotely worth the gravy train we gave him. Should have offered 70% of that salary to DGB
He was a good get for the future second we had to give, has upside in a better team, demonstrates that North can attract players others are after, and we had plenty of cash we had to spend.
What's the problem?

I think the biggest worry for me is that a lot of the kids we pin our hopes on to fix this back six are still viewed with rose coloured youth glasses.

Took a while for people to notice Perez' kicking wasn't great, because we tend to forgive the turnovers for young blokes so long as the kick looks good. Bergman's kicking is as patchy as someone like Hall's - he has some really good kicks and then some horrible ones. But he's not quick. His defensive work is just as patchy. I have hope he'll be a smart player in time but there will come a time when the glasses come off

Ziebell and Logue have been our only two pass mark backmen this year, IMO. Outside of Sheez who shouldn't have to be there. One is on the verge of retirement and the other one came in from outside.

There's a reason we had to throw Sheez back there. It's not pretty.

I’d hope we are doing a lot of scouting work on unearthing some cheap value to rebuild this back 6.

Other than Logue (and he barely scrapes by) there’s nothing else of quality on the list. Archer is one who is showing bits and pieces but is speculative at best and also has had some hip issues. Goater ideally becomes a beast off half back. But other then that the cupboard is so bare. Perez won’t make it as a defender, wouldn’t mind a look at him higher up the ground before they stamp his papers, but as a defender won’t make it. Bonar and Young are both done imo. And they clearly don’t rate Dawson.

We won’t attract top quality but could hopefully find some improvement in areas. roos_fanatic08 do you rate Tom Highmore? Was looking through his stats for Sandringham this year and seems to be playing really well as an intercepting 3rd tall and not getting a look in with the saints 1’s. Could be a decent cheap option.

Other than that though, I struggle to see how we could turn around the defensive issues quickly. Obviously better pressure up the ground would help too.

Logue: only consistent defender
McKay: on the way out
Ziebell/hall: time to retire
Lmac: pathetic this season
Corr: only played decent when McKay was out
Sheezel: our most consistent player and won’t be in defence his whole career
Bergman/goater: still need time to develop
Young/bonar/dawson: 2/3 of them won’t be there next year
Perez: might survive with so many others to go before him
Archer: injury prone and needs more time

That isn’t a good list at all and it frustrates seeing the same ones making the same stupid mistakes every week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back