The back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

It isn't just our back six. We consistently turn it over and gift scores back to the opposition. Our mids don't run two way, at least not in a manner that is comparable with the rest of the league. Fix the turnovers (skills) and the two-way running (fitness and recruiting) and our back six will be less of a problem.

I agree with most, though, we do lack quality defenders, and we need to find a way to counter that. Logue is a good first step, but we need more. Doedee should be a big target. Throw a massive contract in front of him, and that will help. 26y / 189cm / 87kg. Will be an upgrade on Corr. Won't come cheap in terms of draft picks, but we should go after him.

We won’t attract top quality but could hopefully find some improvement in areas. roos_fanatic08 do you rate Tom Highmore? Was looking through his stats for Sandringham this year and seems to be playing really well as an intercepting 3rd tall and not getting a look in with the saints 1’s. Could be a decent cheap option.

Wouldn’t take much for him to match the output of Corr or McDonald. Would happily have him on the list.

I’d take Ryley Stoddart as a mature half back as well. Left footer from Frankston who is actually composed with ball in hand.

It isn't just our back six. We consistently turn it over and gift scores back to the opposition. Our mids don't run two way, at least not in a manner that is comparable with the rest of the league. Fix the turnovers (skills) and the two-way running (fitness and recruiting) and our back six will be less of a problem.

I agree with most, though, we do lack quality defenders, and we need to find a way to counter that. Logue is a good first step, but we need more. Doedee should be a big target. Throw a massive contract in front of him, and that will help. 26y / 189cm / 87kg. Will be an upgrade on Corr. Won't come cheap in terms of draft picks, but we should go after him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us paying in players at some point too.

Dreadful back there
Where do you start
Search other clubs lists/state leagues for for small shutdown defender and rebound defender
Lmac needs to lose 5kgs
Bergman needs to add 10kgs
Get
We need to find a Marley Williams type, just with elite skills.

It’s total rubbish

McDonald Corr Ziebell need to go

If we get pick 3 for McKay, take it
Corr should play VFL for next 2 years
If McDonald is captain next year we’ll be bottom
4 again
Should be VFL too
Must use every pick at year end on defenders and forwards
Forget the midfield obsession for a few years

It’s been neglected and it shows.

The mix isn’t right. In the modern game you need athletes that can lock down and execute skilfully.

Look at the difference in Brisbane since Wilmot and Mckenna replaced Rich in the back 6.

You can build a good back six with smart list management. It’s not just using a bunch of first round picks on defenders. I look back on the last few drafts and it’s been frustrating watching us pass on the likes of Trent Rivers & Lachie Cowan in the second round, when they were so obviously what our list needs. You can also do it via smart trading & FA. Logue was exactly that, but as we’ve seen 2x good KPDs doesn’t solve the problem. Mid sized defenders are as important in 2023.

Goater and Bergman have promise, but they are far from guaranteed 200 game defenders. I’m hopeful that it’s an area of focus over the next two off seasons.

It’s been neglected and it shows.

The mix isn’t right. In the modern game you need athletes that can lock down and execute skilfully.

Look at the difference in Brisbane since Wilmot and Mckenna replaced Rich in the back 6.

You can build a good back six with smart list management. It’s not just using a bunch of first round picks on defenders. I look back on the last few drafts and it’s been frustrating watching us pass on the likes of Trent Rivers & Lachie Cowan in the second round, when they were so obviously what our list needs. You can also do it via smart trading & FA. Logue was exactly that, but as we’ve seen 2x good KPDs doesn’t solve the problem.

Goater and Bergman have promise, but they are far from guaranteed 200 game defenders. I’m hopeful that it’s an area of focus over the next two off seasons.

Bang on. I put a post up in the list management thread touching on exactly this in reference to Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingy and Joey have been on this for weeks. 6 of the first 7 of Adelaide’s goals could have been avoided.

We are not winning games till it is addressed.
For all the hope we approach each week with as supporters, it just shows that we aren’t winning games until the back 6 is addressed.

We might scrape a win or two out of oppo incompetence, but that is just not acceptable. I hope we do start experimenting in the back end of the season.

The single biggest focus of the 2023/24 off-season is to transform the back 6.

The single biggest focus of the 2023/24 off-season is to transform the back 6.

The only way is to never see the likes of Ziebell, Corr, McKay or McDonald in our back six ever again.

One of those we gave a lengthy contract ‘til 2026, one is on big money to lure him over to play, and another is asking for too much money for his actual skill level.

We won’t see such a transformation if the club persists with them as they seem likely to do for some reason.

Kingy and Joey have been on this for weeks. 6 of the first 7 of Adelaide’s goals could have been avoided.

We are not winning games till it is addressed.

Kingy and Joey were late to the party, I’ve been banging on about this the best part of 18 months or more.

However, my comment last year on our back 6 being the worst in my time watching North is now outdated because the current group has taken the title.

IMG_4579.jpeg IMG_4580.jpeg

The only way is to never see the likes of Ziebell, Corr, McKay or McDonald in our back six ever again.

One of those we gave a lengthy contract ‘til 2026, one is on big money to lure him over to play, and another is asking for too much money for his actual skill level.

We won’t see such a transformation if the club persists with them as they seem likely to do for some reason.
Personally I think 2 of those four can fit if they can get to a higher standard consistently & be complimented with more athletic types.

The media blowtorch is good. It'll help force change.

No doubt they are playing poorly but check the contrast in pressure on the ball carrier with the silver service delivered to Adelaide's forwards.

It is partly a consequence of a young midfield without the match fitness. Shiels and Tucker stand out as the exceptions. Should naturally improve but will take time.

Last edited:
No doubt they are playing poorly but check the contrast in pressure on the ball carrier with the silver service delivered to Adelaide's forwards.

It is partly a consequence of a young midfield without the match fitness. Shiels and Tucker standout as the exceptions. Should naturally improve but will take time.
Issue is, that when our pressure up the ground is elite (as it was for periods on the weekend), we give up cheap easy goals.

Yep, that's an issue as well and in time you can see that resolving itself with fitness levels and game understanding of our younger mids.

But the skillset, application and mix of our back 6 is the biggest issue we face.

We've got nobody to stop small forwards.
Weightman kicks 3 on us every time we play the dogs, other smalls are not much different either

Horrible line atm but I don’t think we have to look to far to fix it. I’d be questioning Blakey’s work as line coach too…

Bergman Logue Archer
Goater McKay Bonar (Perez if Bon is cooked)
Sheezel

Big if for Bonar to get fit. But that set-up gives us run and creativity, lock down on smalls and tweeners, 2 x good KPD. If Bonar is done drop McDonald until he finds form and give Young a go. Perez also an option. Time to throw the magnets around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back