The back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Sunny Fx GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Every time it goes down there I think here we go, what crazy thing will happen this time to lose a goal

Three from yesterday

BMac (instinctive I guess) touches the ball and gets a 50m

Allowing Green to stroll through like the No 96 from Bundoora that stoppage for that goal

JZ possibly could have marked but chooses to smash the ball not away, but straight to front and centre and ball sails back over his head

Not denying the obvious deficiencies in our backline. However the I50 count was 63-47. Dam wall broke late in the third. Up until that point, our backline was competing very well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He played very well yesterday in the VFL and can actually run a lot better than most of our defenders.

He performed ok last year after coming in off the msd, I want another look at him. I reckon he’s physically a reasonable match up for Naughton.

Bergman Mckay Dawson
McDonald Logue Sheezel
With probably Corr as the 7th defender.

Ziebell and Hall need to go, sick of turnovers and mistakes from Hall. Sick of dump kicks, 50 metre kicks to out numbers and refusal to work through traffic with handball from Ziebell.

Not denying the obvious deficiencies in our backline. However the I50 count was 63-47. Dam wall broke late in the third. Up until that point, our backline was competing very well.

How many of those inside 50’s are repeat entries caused by our inability to exit our back 50 efficiently?

Last edited:
I reckon for the rest of the year we try greenwood in the backline, tackling machine, good overhead with his leap and reads the ball reasonably well. Compliment with a KPD in the trade period.

Ziebell will always stand in the hole and take what's coming. And in general, he gets across to spoil well He also has penetration in his kicking. And he racks them up if you"re into that type of thing.

But ... he's really slow now and can't keep up with the up and back running that's required even of a third tall/medium defender. Against Essendon he was cooked trying to keep up with his opponent's repeat leads up and back and across the ground. He's OK if there are lots of stoppages but when there are consecutive turnovers, his legs go to jelly and he's useless for 5 plus minutes. He"s one of the reasons why sides kick 3 or 4 in a row on us. He's not the only one - but he's definitely one of our senior players who cannot do the transition running required.

So the club really needs to be preparing him for what should be his last year. Giving him a rest and looking at others.

Whoopee do; those three brain fades cost 18 points

Ziebell will always stand in the hole and take what's coming. And in general, he gets across to spoil well He also has penetration in his kicking. And he racks them up if you"re into that type of thing.

But ... he's really slow now and can't keep up with the up and back running that's required even of a third tall/medium defender. Against Essendon he was cooked trying to keep up with his opponent's repeat leads up and back and across the ground. He's OK if there are lots of stoppages but when there are consecutive turnovers, his legs go to jelly and he's useless for 5 plus minutes. He"s one of the reasons why sides kick 3 or 4 in a row on us. He's not the only one - but he's definitely one of our senior players who cannot do the transition running required.

So the club really needs to be preparing him for what should be his last year. Giving him a rest and looking at others.
think JZ is contracted for next year?

How many of those inside 50’s are repeat entries caused by our inability to exit our back 50 efficiently?

Agreed. However, at the end of the day, Toby averages 3 goals a game. He got 3 yesterday. He’s a freak.

I noticed in the AFL app that in the first half “North transitioned the ball well from their defensive 50, with 33% of chains resulting in an inside 50. The AFL average is 21%.” That’s a surprising positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I first read the title as “The Back 9” and I was somewhat intrigued.

Alas, it’s about our defence….imagine if we had a James Sicily type down there instead of the cast of dumb and dumber?

I first read the title as “The Back 9” and I was somewhat intrigued.

Alas, it’s about our defence….imagine if we had a James Sicily type down there instead of the cast of dumb and dumber?
Backlines are for the desperate types who hate to lose a contest. As much as everyone loves a Sicily type, I'd love us to find out next Scott Thompson.

We also could do with another Snoz type.

I'd honestly have this as our back 6:

Logue, McKay, Archer
Goater, Thomas, Bergman.

Players that will rotate:

Perez, Tucker, Sheezel and Young.

Players possibly pushed out or kept as depth:

Lmac, JZ, Hall, Corr.

I think time for a changeup given form and availability. I'd be inclined to push JZ out (rested) and have Corr play this role for a week or so - it actually suits him better anyway, especially now that we have McKay and Logue available. I wouldn't be against Dawson having a crack in this role as well. Over the next few weeks I'd like to see both of JZ & Hall have a break and Perez and Dawson given an opportunity.

How many of those were repeat entries from the hack kick or the un-imaginative kick ins of Ziebell, McDonald and Corr? Why Is Sheezel not kicking in anymore. He had a couple of turn overs in Adelaide after receiving a severe corkie and now we have to put up with this rubbish. Give Powell the odd kick in whilst we are at it. Get the young blokes involved.

It requires a transformation.

The likes of Logue, Bergman & Goater are key to that. Ultimately we need to invest more at the draft on these types, and slowly transition them into the back 6 (as we have done with Miller this year).

We can't have Corr, Ziebell & McDonald in the same back 6. We can't have Ziebell and Hall as the main distributors in the back 6. We can't have McKay playing so hot and cold.

Unfortunately it isn't a quick fix. It'll take a couple years to sort out.

I would like to see Perez and Powell get an extended run in the back 6 after they bye.

I am still holding out hope that Perez could be a tweener and he is a decent kick plus we know he is brave.

Powell is a natural accumulator and good decision maker, not dissimilar to Jake Lloyd from the Swans who was initially drafted as a mid. I'd play him in Hall's role for the back half of the year.

Was Corr that bad on the weekend? He came in at the start of the fourth quarter and got a fair bit of the ball and didn't * anything up from memory.
I like Corr but I don't have him in over McKay and Logue. Don't think we can play them together or in the 22 at the same time.

When we're tall heavy we're predictable with our ball movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back