The back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking about this a bit more I think its time to change our approach to the back 6 - we need to invest into it and try and turn it into a positive rather than the mess it is now.

B. Corr BMac Sheezal
HB TT Logue Goater

Corr to take LMac's lock down role on small forwards (he has the pace); BMac and Logue to take the tall forwards then Sheez, Goat and TT to be offensive weapons - all 3 to be given license to run and carry.

Archer/Bergman the 7th defender.

Yes - this takes some sting away from our forward line but we have the mids doing ok and next up we have to get that defence sorted - we can't keep going with LMac and JZ back there.

What are we expecting this week from the back 6?

I’m expecting Geelong to crate a million turnovers as they squeeze up on the narrow ground. Also expecting about 6 out on the full kicks from Mckay, Corr and McDonald.

Plenty of small options to choose for multiple goals.

I’m backing Stengle for 4+

Thinking about this a bit more I think its time to change our approach to the back 6 - we need to invest into it and try and turn it into a positive rather than the mess it is now.

B. Corr BMac Sheezal
HB TT Logue Goater

Corr to take LMac's lock down role on small forwards (he has the pace); BMac and Logue to take the tall forwards then Sheez, Goat and TT to be offensive weapons - all 3 to be given license to run and carry.

Yes - this takes some sting away from our forward line but we have the mids doing ok and next up we have to get that defence sorted - we can't keep going with LMac and JZ back there.
l would leave TT to play Fwd? Mid and put Bergman in his place who is also capable of run and carry. Eventually Sheezel will be a mid/Fwd so Archer could end up playing back instead of Sheezel...

Surely our number one priority this trade season has to be making a play for two or three players we can get to make our defensive line competitive in 2024.

The FA and low cost options are all obvious: Dylan Williams, Doedee, Tomlinson, DGB, Bailey Williams, whoever.

The club simply needs to make it harder to be selected as a defender next year.

What are we expecting this week from the back 6?

I’m expecting Geelong to create a million turnovers as they squeeze up on the narrow ground. Also expecting about 6 out on the full kicks from Mckay, Corr and McDonald.

Plenty of small options to choose for multiple goals.

I’m backing Stengle for 4+

Not a bad prediction.

Honestly, we are in the shite.
We need to spend a lot of spare cach enticing some established backs, draft talls and pick up some mature aged state league players.

for the rest of the year it will now likely be the below
need to resist temptation to bring in ziebell, bring goater in instead and go smaller

B: McDonald Mckay Goater
HB: Perez Corr Bergman

with sheezel/thomas rotating back there also
Unfortunately you know we’ll select one of JZ or Bonar.

Regardless of who’s down there and the experience in the D50 - we can’t lose sight of what really matters most. Whether it’s local footy or at AFL level.

Back 6 get the chicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let’s assume that we lose McKay and Logue doesn’t play next year.

Obviously we need to get an experienced short term experienced KB for next year. Probably 2 for list depth purposes given it appears we will delist bonar and Dawson.

Drafting an 18 year old key back won’t help from a key defending point of view.

Surely a guy like Ethan phillips get a go. Who else wil be considered.

I can’t think of any key afl backs we would be able to attract.

B. Corr BMac Sheezal
HB TT Logue Goater

TT looked as uncomfortable as I've ever seen a player look down there. No thanks. Swap Bergman for him then throw Archer, who will make it imo, into the mix

FB: Goater, McKay, Archer,
HB: Bergman, Corr, Thomas

Goater replacing McDonald and Archer coming in for Ziebell fixes a lot of the mess. As does another summer in the gym for Bergman.

Goater is the perfect modern player with his strength and speed, and Archer is a deceptively good athlete and arguably the best shutdown defender on our list. Both need to be introduced into the side over the next fortnight.

I like Thomas long-term better than Sheezel as the rebounding defender. I think with a summer to learn the role he has a ton of upside defensively. You can argue that you're taking away the x-factor that Thomas provides in the forward half, but the defensive 50 has been the most pivotal area of the ground for us over these past four years and we need more talent in that area.

If McKay leaves, then we bring in a mature depth piece to cover us for a year while Logue is out. It's not ideal, but it's not a reason to resign ourselves to another bottom-two finish. Can you win a flag with a combination of Corr and an honest Josh Walker type? No. But you can be competitive.

Every side plays seven defenders to allow a rotation on the bench, and at this stage, that could be anybody next year. Ideally, you'd love for it to be an impact-mature recruit. I'd also want that younger developing KPD like Zach Reid or DGB to add to the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back