• Forward

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ruck

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Utility

Votes: 31 26.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it was only a brief period, but every time I see the words "Blitz" and "wing" I get flashbacks of Bradley Hill on the outer side of the MCG just torching him - want to say 2013 PF but happy to be corrected - Partridge can probably shed light on it - as I remember him not loving it :sick: -

Not saying its been done before and wont work - we are a different team now to then - but if he plays there IMO it needs to have some different structure to it. And running the wings all day is one thing - doing it at high pace is another.

Happy to wait and see how it goes.

GO Catters

The Cats have been playing team defence for some time.

Not sure how Hill getting some cheap over the back possessions while scouting the boundary line amounts to Blicavs specifically getting torched.

But meh, posters have their scapegoats. :$

Strait up best 22,but tends to unbalance the side IMO, but with no one else to beat other than Stanley to help out Smith he has become a must pick player.
How is that so when most sides play a support ruck role also?

The Cats have been playing team defence for some time.

Not sure how Hill getting some cheap over the back possessions while scouting the boundary line amounts to Blicavs specifically getting torched.

But meh, posters have their scapegoats. :$
No scapegoat.. just got burned off by a little bloke that is fast a few times on the wing.

If Blitz can provide a consistent marking target and take those marks, combined with continual gut running as an option thru the wings then I’m all for it .

Go Catters

Yep can't wait for this.

Krock commentary.
The ball finishes with Bews in the back pocket who immediately dishes it off to Taylor and quickly onto 2E all by hand who in turn pumps the ball long to the wing where Blicavs works his man under the ball and takes a good mark goes back assesses his options forward has a quick glance in the center of the MCG and decides to go backwards looking for Kolajazknee on the opposite half back flank,oh no he has turned it over and the Hawks stroll in for an easy goal through Jarrod Roughead.
Yep.somebody posted a while back about Blicavs 'where attacking moves go to die' - Too true! Contrary to what we might expect, his decision making skills seem to have worsened with time. He seems more worried about turnovers, especially when he is not doing 'dumb grunt' work like tagging or ruck.
A good mano a mano coach might tap him on the shoulder and tell him just to go for it, for a game or two, and see what happens.....oh sorry, that means actually speaking to a player...

The club continues to fail.

Someone on the wing should have pace and good skills, Blicavs has neither.

Play him as a ruck forward or play Buzza/Stanley in that role if he cant do it.

As far as who should play on the wing there are plenty who are better options Duncan, Kelly, Thurlow, C Guthrie

The club continues to fail.

Someone on the wing should have pace and good skills, Blicavs has neither.

Play him as a ruck forward or play Buzza/Stanley in that role if he cant do it.

As far as who should play on the wing there are plenty who are better options Duncan , Kelly, Thurlow, C Guthrie
Just Lol

******* lol

I thought play him in the VFL. Won a B@F and has not come to grips with that. Does the odd good thing but I agree with others decision making is poor.

I know it was only a brief period, but every time I see the words "Blitz" and "wing" I get flashbacks of Bradley Hill on the outer side of the MCG just torching him - want to say 2013 PF but happy to be corrected - Partridge can probably shed light on it - as I remember him not loving it :sick: -

Not saying its been done before and wont work - we are a different team now to then - but if he plays there IMO it needs to have some different structure to it. And running the wings all day is one thing - doing it at high pace is another.

Happy to wait and see how it goes.

GO Catters
2014 final. blicavs was rucking in 2013 prelim final with vardy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep can't wait for this.

Krock commentary.
The ball finishes with Bews in the back pocket who immediately dishes it off to Taylor and quickly onto 2E all by hand who in turn pumps the ball long to the wing where Blicavs works his man under the ball and takes a good mark goes back assesses his options forward has a quick glance in the center of the MCG and decides to go backwards looking for Kolajazknee on the opposite half back flank,oh no he has turned it over and the Hawks stroll in for an easy goal through Jarrod Roughead.
the best outcome in that situation is blicavs marks the balls, hestiates for 5 seconds, waits for all the opposition players to run back to fill up defensive zones and just bombs it to a pack. That is always the best anyone can hope for when blicavs marks it over a midget on the wings.

you get you are clearly in the minority on this one now. Your blicavs view is now the extreme one.

Your view on the matter frankly does not matter. You’ve lost.
Frankly I don’t give a toss whether it’s the minority view or otherwise. I’m right and that’s all that matters :)

Last edited:
After time + lots of success, some players seem to get too big for their boots. Selwood + Tomahawk are not. StevieJ could be snotty at times. Mackie's wife would screech at him from their car to hurry up, when he was leaving KP after a game lol

Perhaps arrogance or complacency makes them forget that they're only playing because of the supporters.
HK, I disagree with this. Back before the 1990's maybe, but now they are entitled to earn money for their craft, whether the fans think it is good value for money or not. My point being, we can't expect players to do it for the love of the game, the fans, their kids etc. anymore. And if mid year trading comes in, it is going to get worse, imo.

Tall long elite tank pretty good footballer absolutely has a role in an AFL team. I forget was there an article or an interview where someone from the club said he will be playing more as a mobile intercept defender / leading link forward? Like rocket science, tall dude who can run playing as a tall dude who can run.
Yep, looking at the wing apparently.

I'd say even if you don't use the older terms and prefer newer nomenclature, that key forward, key defender, ruckman, small forward, small defender, inside midfielder, and outside midfielder absolutely exist.
Key forward like Buddy or Paddy, key defender like Gibson, small forwards who are there for their defensive skills and small backs who play the wingman role. You can call them that because that is the traditional area on the ground they predominantly play, but you can't say those types are playing those positions in the traditional way. Hence position names not telling you much other than the rough area of the ground the player will start.

Not much chance of that happening, nor should there be "at present" but if we were lucky enough to unearth a genuine second ruck how secure would his place be then do you think?
Blitz would be changed to another under-manned position

Back